DW9000 double pedal - not satisfied - tips?

golfwangblake

So I've had the DW 9000 Double Pedal for about 3 months and they still don't feel right. Although it's partially my fault for not experimenting a lot with different settings. But It just doesn't feel as easy as it should be. Like if I want to a fast double bass beat it just doesn't work. The slave feels a bit unresponsive but that might be normal. Or maybe it's just the tension. I don't know. I would just appreciate some tips!

try different beaters, DW 2 way beaters are fairly heavy. I changed my 2 way's to a danmar felt and it was night and day difference to my feet. May also need to make some adjustments like the shape of the cam, foot board angle and spring tension. make one adjustment then try it for a few days. do the same with the other adjustments.

Hey man, I just got some too.

I agree they're a bit hard to play consistently with when it comes to the more technical stuff.

I think the beaters are too heavy and make the pedal feel sluggish and heavy. I've owned a few pedals lately and It's made me realize that quite often we diss a pedal for being too heavy or too light or something else when the beater weight and height makes quite a huge difference.

I fit my mapex falcon beaters (minus the inserted weight) and it's much better now. Just get some light beaters. I would recommend my mapex ones, or the squarish double sided ones that come on a pearl p-900.

How long have you been playing? Sometimes we try to move toward the impossible before we achieve the possible...

That said, you said it yourself: you haven't adjusted the settings. Changing the settings can make an immense difference to the feel of the pedal. Adjust one thing at a time and when you get to something that feels right, but might not be 100%, test it out for a few days or a week, because it takes time to adapt your playing muscles.

Not that you should have to adjust your playing to an expensive pedal. But it is worthwhile to try to work with something for a period as opposed to spending an hour with it and then opining that it doesn't work for you.

I wouldn't swap out the beaters just yet! Tweaking is part of the fun of having something like a DW9000, which is billed as an infinitely tweakable pedal!

- Reggae Mangle

Not sure if the 9000 and 5000 share beaters, but he stock 5000 beaters were way too heavy. Changed them out an it is much better.

Woaahhh! I've been over-ruled. Maybe you should change the beaters! But I'd first exhaust all the adjustment options, since you haven't done so already!

- Reggae Mangle

Trust me they're ridiculous. They make an awesome thump but they are a real hindrance to anyone wanting to play patterns or speed.

Not sure I agree with you on that one. Thomas Lang plays 9000's and his speed and patterns aren't too shabby. I think it might be a practice thing too. As annoying as it may sound. I bought some SpeedCobras and after about 8 months of owning, tweaking and playing the hell out of them, I'm just about getting along with them fully now. I played some shabby old 5000's for years and getting the SC's has done wonders for my technique. So stick with the 9000's, they didn't get the rep for nothing.

never really found it any more difficult to change than any other pedal.

Try these. Super easy and convenient with no more crawling on the floor for a simple adjustment. ;)

DSC_0186-1.jpg

Dennis

I just hate how inconvenient it is to adjust the spring tension on the pedal.

Ha ha - some of my older pedals have to be tightened with a wrench to keep the spring tensioner from loosening up. Want to change the tension? Then you've got to dig around for a wrench.

The DW9000 is a breeze compared to those. There's a thread here where a couple people describe a one hand tension adjusting technique for it. I can adjust the tension on it in a few seconds.

Oh - and about the first post - I'd suggest fully exploring all the adjustments, so you can see what works best for you.

i have been using the dw9002 pedal at a rehearsal studio that comes stock with the kit in the rental room. i actually like the DW beater's on the pedal. i have been using the solid side instead of the felt side. and i haven't made any adjustments to the pedal. i would says keep using the pedal with the DW beater's and get used to playing the pedal practice practice practice. you have to make adjustments focus on spring tension and beater angle. the beater's should be set about 6 inches from the batter head and then tension the springs just enough to counter balance the weight of the beaters.

I almost sold my 9000's a few months after I got them because I couldn't get the feel for them. Now.....I wont play anything else. I finally got them adjusted the way I want them and they feel great. I wouldn't give up on them yet.

I bought mine on a Friday. Brought it home played on it for about an hour and wasn't impressed. On top of that, my leg cramped up which had never happened to me. The next day, I gave it a work out(or myself actually) and wasn't happy. Sunday I gave it another try, and this time I was just not into it as I was pretty bummed out. So as Im lazily playing around the kit, I started to realize that my foot was flying and the kick was thumping. Ive never made any adjustments at all. All I did was lighten up my touch. Im getting way more thump out of my 9000 than I ever have and I use very little effort. I was very pleased.

Long story short, try lightening your touch and let the pedal do the work. You don't need to use much force with these things. At least that's been my experience. I wont play anything else either.

Back