latin books/dvds

Latin... I really kind of hate that word. Its kind of like "Jazz".

There are all kinds of genres of "Latin" music. Afro-Cuban, Salsa, Son, Bolero, Merengue, Bachata, Cumbia, Samba, Bossa Nova, Cha-Cha, "Folkloric", Bomba etc... There are common elements among them that may broadly be referred to as "Latin" and I definitely accept that this term is used and understood to mean a certain thing, but really the more layers you peel back, the more difficult you find it to explain, or describe "Latin" as just one thing.

That said, there are tons of great books that apply this broad style to drums. I've used some of El Negro's and Phil Maturano's books. They've been good.

my bad for not explaining.
not instructional dvds/books. but maybe a book or dvd that shows different latin grooves. and i realize there are many latin styles, but i don't want a book on JUST afro cuban, i just want more complex grooves of the certain styles. something similar to this "drummers collective" thing i have. i think it might be a pat patrillo book, but it just pretty much has what i want which is variations of the different styles.

my bad for not explaining.
not instructional dvds/books. but maybe a book or dvd that shows different latin grooves. and i realize there are many latin styles, but i don't want a book on JUST afro cuban, i just want more complex grooves of the certain styles. something similar to this "drummers collective" thing i have. i think it might be a pat patrillo book, but it just pretty much has what i want which is variations of the different styles.

Just look on YouTube, free lessons.

wow you're thinking too much.
i was giving an example, with the afro cuban thought.
and i didn't say i had the book, i said i had a THING which was ONE PAGE scanned out of this book. and i'm not sure that it's even a book, my friend just went to this jazz seminar and it was give to him.
i'm sure there are "tons of books" on this stuff, and that's what i'm asking in this thread. which are ones that you guys found helpful.
it seems like all you have been doing is looking at what all i'm saying wrong and trying to correct me.
i would have been fine with an reply like "Latin Collections by Dave Weckl"(made up example) or something.

Frank Malabe/Bob Weiner's Afro-Cuban Rhythms For Drumset covers Mambo, Merengue, Bembe, Songo and loads more.

Get that.

Ed Uribe: "The Essence of Afro-Cuban Percussion and Drum Set"
"Brazilian Rhythms for Drumset": "By Duduka Da Fonseca and Bob Weiner"
Conversations in Clave: El Negro
Latin Soloing for Drumset (Private Lessons) by Phil Maturano
Working the Inner Clock for Drumset by Phil Maturano
Timbafunk by David Garibaldi, Jesus Diaz, and Michael Spiro
Funkifying the Clave: Afro-Cuban Grooves for Bass and Drums

Hi

I know Latin drumming is a vast area of study.. Just wanted you to know I have a website with some interesting videos, worksheets and info on the subject. Check out http://www.beatofdrum.com/winter05.php which will take you to my Latin drumming videos page.
There is also a tribute to the music of Talking drums. You can download the video and the notation.

Hope my site helps..

Graeme

Back