2014 Pearl Sensitone Snare Drums - Changes and Additions!

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Haven't seen much talk about the new snare drum releases from Pearl. They made changes to the Sensitone line, including adding "premium" models that include phosphor bronze, maple, and mahogany, adding the 6.5" depth in back to the aluminum model again, and adding new Hybrid Exotic snare line with three models (including cast aluminum.)

I currently own an MCX Maple snare and Brass Sensitone Elite and love them. I guess I'm a fan of Pearl snare drums, especially for the price.

Anyone else find the changes to existing Pearl snares or the new snares interesting? Wish I could find some prices.

http://pearldrum.com/products/snares/sensitones/beaded-seamless-aluminum/

thumb.php

thumb.php

thumb.php

thumb.php

thumb.php

Wow, those lugs are really neat! The new throw off looks really good too.

Pearl is one of the most reliable snare drum builders in the big leagues and I was sad when they drastically scaled the Sensitone line back a few years ago. These new offerings are really cool, and I'm glad to see them making a mahogany snare a part of their standard production line. That it is a 15x5" size drum is that much more interesting to me...

The Sensitone line was also an amazing value too; while I fully expect the new premium line to have a premium price, I hope the regular models stay in the "reasonable" price category a little longer...

(edit) I just took a closer look at the website and noticed some new Free Floater shells too, including a mahogany shell there as well.

Last edited:
Wow, those lugs are really neat! The new throw off looks really good too.

Pearl is one of the most reliable snare drum builders in the big leagues and I was sad when they drastically scaled the Sensitone line back a few years ago. These new offerings are really cool, and I'm glad to see them making a mahogany snare a part of their standard production line. That it is a 15x5" size drum is that much more interesting to me...

I like those new lugs too. I also just realized that mahogany version is 15"! I didn't realize that before.

You're very welcome, I had a look at the price list, but it seems to only be the MSRP, and not the 'street' prices, which I never really understand, if no-one ever pays the MSRP, why bother even displaying it?

I should add they look great drums, but as I only bought a steel sensitone about 6 months ago (swearing it would be my last purchase for a while).......

Mile Dolbear delivers!

Model Description List Price
STA1450S 14”x5” 1.0mm Beaded Steel SensiTone Snare Drum $ 499.00
STA1465S 14”x6.5” 1.0mm Beaded Steel SensiTone Snare Drum $ 515.00
STA1450BR 14”x5” 1.0mm Beaded Brass SensiTone Snare Drum $ 749.00
STA1465BR 14”x6.5” 1.0mm Beaded Brass SensiTone Snare Drum $ 780.00
STA1450AL 14”x5” 1.2mm Beaded Seamless Aluminum SensiTone Snare Drum $ 599.00
STA1465AL 14”x6.5” 1.2mm Beaded Seamless Aluminum SensiTone Snare Drum$ 615.00
STA1450FB 14”x5” 1.5mm Beaded Brass SensiTone Snare Drum $ 965.00
STA1465FB 14”x6.5” 1.5mm Beaded Brass SensiTone Snare Drum $1,049.00
STA1450PB 14”x5” 1.2mm Phosphor Bronze SensiTone Snare Drum $ 980.00
STA1465PB 14”x6.5” 1.2mm Phosphor Bronze SensiTone Snare Drum $1,049.00
STA1450MM 14”x5” 6-ply 5.4mm Maple SensiTone Snare Drum $ 649.00
STA1465MM 14”x6.5” 6-ply 5.4mm Maple SensiTone Snare Drum $ 699.00
STA1550MH 15”x5” 4-ply MHX SensiTone Snare Drum $ 715.00

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=3716

Hmmm... So what would someone estimate the street price of the 15x5 to be based on the List Price of $715.00?

I might have bought the aluminum had it looked like this a month ago.

Dunno about those premium lugs.interested in the bronze though.

I noticed those new Sensitones the other day... Those lugs are pretty cheesy... Macaroni lugs...

But I still think the Free-floaters are cool - the Ltd. edition one looks nice...

You're very welcome, I had a look at the price list, but it seems to only be the MSRP, and not the 'street' prices, which I never really understand, if no-one ever pays the MSRP, why bother even displaying it?

I should add they look great drums, but as I only bought a steel sensitone about 6 months ago (swearing it would be my last purchase for a while).......

I suppose if you subtract 40% or so off the MSRP, that would be what the retailers are selling them for, since some of them tell you how much they're discounting to give you the price. But it's just a guess, I reckon ;)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Sensitone-Elite-Beaded-Aluminum-Snare-104284625-i1395731.gc

$199.99 - on sale, for the 14 x 5 aluminum. Anyone have any experience with Pearl Sensitone Aluminum?

It was a very close call for me to get the 5x14 aluminum or BOB Sensitone last year, but seeing as I had just that day picked up a Ludwig Standard aluminum, I went brass. The aluminum snare is (was) just a scoche drier, with a lot of the character of an Acrolite. I'm looking at that 6.5" deep one with a little bit of lust right now, even though I believe in my heart of hearts that my next snare will be another Ludwig I think Pearl does snares well.

.... The aluminum snare is (was) just a scoche drier, with a lot of the character of an Acrolite...

Thanks.

That's mainly what I was wondering - if they were comparable at all. Guess I'll have to try one out next time I'm there.

BTW - how are you liking those Ludwigs? I saw them in the 'Your Gear' section, but didn't get a rundown on them.

(don't mean to de-rail the thread)

Thanks.

That's mainly what I was wondering - if they were comparable at all. Guess I'll have to try one out next time I'm there.

BTW - how are you liking those Ludwigs? I saw them in the 'Your Gear' section, but didn't get a rundown on them.

(don't mean to de-rail the thread)

Sop to the thread topic: Very comparable. Both got rave reviews at the time I was in the market, and I do love the sound of an aluminum snare. But since I already had one I had no intention of parting with, brass got the nod, and it's been nice having the two to switch between. I would say that the Sensitone Aluminum is probably a good alternative to buying a Supra new, and the 6.5x14" is really going to be a bargain in the same sense.

I will limit my off-topic comment to say that I am really deeply enjoying my new Ludwigs, especially in light of my re-invention as a more groove oriented and pocket player. They really have a rich tone and I love just putting on the Zeppelin box set and getting busy with these tubs.

But yeah, Sensitone, well done, Pearl. Now fix your bloody hardware.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Sensitone-Elite-Beaded-Aluminum-Snare-104284625-i1395731.gc

$199.99 - on sale (2/2/2014), for the 14 x 5 aluminum. Anyone have any experience with Pearl Sensitone Aluminum?

I had the aluminum 5 14 model for a short while and I liked it alot. I only returned it, because I got the 6.5x14 acrolite shortly after.

I'm on my phone now and can't easily copy and paste links, but you can see some of my videos if you go to www.youtube.com/sgtthump

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!

They look absolutely brilliant. I really like the new lugs and throw off.

Back