Anyone good at math?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I know there's got to be some sort of formula to figure this out but I need to buy some packing material. I want to wrap my drums in bubble wrap before placing them into boxes.
I need a single sheet cut for each drum, so I need both the head and depth of the shell ?

Thanks, I suck at this stuff...

Circumference = 3.14 x diameter of drum. So a 10" tom needs a bubble wrap length of 31.4" x depth of drum. So if it's 10 x 10, the wrap needs to be a minimum of 31.4" x 10".

To make is easier, multiply the head size by 4 for length and the depth of the drum will be the width of the bubble wrap.

Great! Thanks for the help.

Circumference = 3.14 x diameter of drum. So a 10" tom needs a bubble wrap length of 31.4" x depth of drum. So if it's 10 x 10, the wrap needs to be a minimum of 31.4" x 10".

To make is easier, multiply the head size by 4 for length and the depth of the drum will be the width of the bubble wrap.

You will want some overlap, so 4 times is a good number. I concur.....

You could do (π x diameter)+8". The +8" would account for the extra circumference due to hardware like lugs, mounts, and spurs. You could also do 4xd, but on a 22" you'll have almost 19" of overlap not accounting for hardware. That's only for the dia of the shell + a tolerance for hardware. If you want to cover heads as well add the depth and diameter for the width to get most everything covered.

Disclaimer: it's Saturday night bbq time. My math math may not or may not be great.

You could do (π x diameter)+8". The +8" would account for the extra circumference due to hardware like lugs, mounts, and spurs. You could also do 4xd, but on a 22" you'll have almost 19" of overlap not accounting for hardware. That's only for the dia of the shell + a tolerance for hardware. If you want to cover heads as well add the depth and diameter for the width to get most everything covered.

Disclaimer: it's Saturday night bbq time. My math math may not or may not be great.

It's good. Depth + diameter will get the wrap to the center of the head on top and bottom, and since it is a circle it will cover the head all the way around.

Back