Ludwig Black Beauty Road test

Ive used nothing but a BB for the past 15 years

absolutely no need for another snare in my world

had many snares before it....and have bought a few since......but only use the Beauty

I have put cast hoops on it and upgraded the throw off to a P86..... absolute perfection

I want one. Bad. Debating whether to go with the 5" or 6.5". Would a 6.5" x 14" work for small group jazz, I wonder?

Would a 6.5" x 14" work for small group jazz, I wonder?

absoutely 8 ....thats exactly what i use

as you know ...it's all in your touch

the BB is a very responsive and sensitive instrument and can work in any musical situation

Ive used it in very loud hardcore, and rock, some years back .......and more recently mildly loud blues, and jazz quartets and trios...... beautiful all around

Really nice selection for the demonstration Tony! The cross stick on Bob Marley's Jammin' sounded so right.

I use a 5 x 14 Supra or a 6.5 x 14 Pearl Ian Paice Signature.
But I'm tempted to try wood snare...again.

They're very easy to play, because their sensitivity makes it very easy to sound consistent. My BB makes me sound better.

On the other hand my throw off rattled from brand new, which is kinda lame. And it's also very loud so it might be a bit much in some settings, depends on how well you control your strokes at softer playing I guess.

If I lost mine I'd buy another.

I prefer a 5x14 over a 6.5x14 for small group jazz and have a 5x14 BB. It's just a personal
choice though as I know fine jazz drummers who use a 6.5x14 BB. I also use a maple
3x13 a lot, in fact most of the time lately, for small group jazz. I tried a 3x13BB but preferred
wood in this size. I'd love to have the option of a 6.5 too.

Cheers Toni....love your covers,and the BB.That just may be a bronze shell you have there,as it does sound a little drier,and more woody than the brass shelled BB's.

Steve B

I have other snares, but I always use the Brass BB's on my gigs, or for recording, the Bronze BB ('89).
I have some nice snares on my shelf that do get used for rehearsals, or just playing around, but I always put the BB back up after a couple hours.
They just sound and feel right to me, so I go with it, and they've never let me down.

Hello to Tony from a fellow Sheffield sticksman!

I wonder if the BB owners out there have ever compared their drum to a Pearl Steve Ferrone signature?
I've had a SFS for years and am very happy with it. I've been told they are a "poor man's" Black Beauty. I believe it has a brass shell, 6.5" deep, 10 lugs. My only gripe is the gold plated rims - never did see the point of that. Anyway I've since put S hoops on it which sound (and look) much better!

Richard

Hello to Tony from a fellow Sheffield sticksman!

I wonder if the BB owners out there have ever compared their drum to a Pearl Steve Ferrone signature?
I've had a SFS for years and am very happy with it. I've been told they are a "poor man's" Black Beauty. I believe it has a brass shell, 6.5" deep, 10 lugs. My only gripe is the gold plated rims - never did see the point of that. Anyway I've since put S hoops on it which sound (and look) much better!

Richard

Dare I ask if that is U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney on drums picutred in your avatar photo? :)

The SFS is really nice snare. a friend of mine has one, and I really like the sound. I've mentioned wanting to buy it a few times. He's said 'no" a few times haha!

The difference in the sound between his, and my BB's, is the BB is a bit more "open" sounding. I have tuned his snare (and drum kit) a couple of times for some big shows they have done (and got paid!!).

I would say that the difference is from the size and placement of the lugs on the Pearl (larger, closer to the hoops), and the edge roll overs are different. The BB also has a seamless shell, and that probably makes some difference too, but it doesn't make it "better" IMO.

If someone uses muffling (moongel, tape, studio ring) , throw it all out the window, because any "overtone character" is muted out.

The model drum that was the SFS is still available. it's listed as a limited edition and has chrome hardware.
At first, I was kinda iffy on the look of the Gold and chrome, but I like it on the Ferrone drum.
Not that big a fan of the look of the BB Brass on Brass though. Maybe in person it looks a lot cooler....

Dare I ask if that is U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney on drums picutred in your avatar photo? :)

I hadn't noticed that! New avatar soon!

Wait a minute though...if Mitt needs a stunt double..hmmm maybe that DW Collectors isn't so far away after all......

Found a pic of the Ferrone signature. Cropped from a photo taken by phone camera on full zoom at a gig soundcheck so not best quality but I hope you can see how she looks with the S hoops.

Btw looking for a signature picture of me that looks less like Mitt!!

Attachments

• SFS.JPG
    SFS.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,065
This is terrific, I am sure that there are a few drummers out there that have considered a BB and may be comparing to other snares so cheers to you.There is a reason that you rarely see a BB that is used for sell on ebay or craigs list.

I'm curious if you have the music playing through a speaker system that you are playing along to and then recording with your camera or is it mixed in?
Thanks again.

Back