Are there still alot of single pedaller's out there?

I'm a single pedaller and I really prefer it to double. However, alot of people resent me for it and say things like "you can't do as much stuff with a single pedal" or "double pedal is by far superior to single" when I highly disagree. A drum teacher of mine even agree's with me by saying "If you have a good technique you don't need a secondary pedal" (I really need to work on my technique on the pedal). But I don't see many single players out they're anymore because of the likes of Joey Jordison coming along and people are like "Oh cool! I want to do that" so spend more cash on another pedal.

Just wondering if there's still loads of single pedallers out there :).

Thanks

"If you have a good technique you don't need a secondary pedal" (I really need to work on my technique on the pedal)s

No offense but this is a stupid statement. No matter how good your technique you can only play so fast on a single pedal. And unfortunately, you may have to use double bass to play some stuff. A good drummer should be able to play on a single pedal and double pedal.

Single pedal for me.

Of course, I've never played anything that required it and don't ever plan to.

The use of a double pedal isn't required in ANY genre of music. Also, you can play things on a double pedal which you can't play on a single pedal. Anyone who makes any comments about the need or the superiority of one or the other is clearly either naive or insecure about something.

I play both. Mostly single.

I prefer it to double pedal. I've heard very few songs where I enjoyed that many bass hits... I'm not really sure that I understand the need for it. Most drummers I've seen use it as a crutch for fills.

I'm a single pedal player, but my respect and recognition go for those who play doubles! double bass drumming/double pedalling is an amazing effect.

No offense but this is a stupid statement. No matter how good your technique you can only play so fast on a single pedal. And unfortunately, you may have to use double bass to play some stuff. A good drummer should be able to play on a single pedal and double pedal.

Double pedal player (yeah, despite what he says in my opinion), listen to him adding it in there on that funky tune. Can't do that with a single. And it's not even a matter of sheer speed, the double pedal sound is very different to what you can achieve by just playing a single fast.
More than stupid, I'd say ignorant and unknowledgeable. Sorry, but if you're making this kind of statement, you just don't know what you're talking about.
I would seriously even question where this teacher of yours is coming from.

Fox.

It's simply a matter of "style". Some people like 1 kick drum ... some like 2 ,,, some people like a single pedal ... some want a double ....​
And I'll agree that .... "If you have a good technique you don't need a secondary pedal" .... attitude is just wrong. More a snob attitude, than anything else ... I doubt anyone ever yanked Louie Bellson off his drum throne and told him he had "bad technique" .... and that he really should loose the second kick drum ...​

i do see some of the point that single pedallers say with just using double bass as a crutch .. because .. honestly .. a lot of people DO use it as one ... a lot of people (expecially beginners) use it to do a simple double stroke (mostly in hand hand foot foot fills .. or playing a medium speed thrash/skank beat) and in that situation .. yes it's just being too lazy to learn it with one foot and a double is un-necessary ..

.. but tell me that you can play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN1WlkqxtK0&feature=related with one foot .... its not even ridiculously fast .. but the extreme rhythmic 16th- 8 not combinations and variations in the verse are hard enough to not get sloppy with 2 feet ..

i do agree that any drummer should have a solid main foot .. capable of playing singles doubles and the occasional triplet

and also remember .. steve smith, dave weckl and other greats use doubles from time to time .. not just us long haired cave-men who play metal

Here's another. I don't really have the need for it. I see the merit for it for something like metal or even some of the really technical fusion stuff Steve Smith or Weckl do, but it's just to unnecessary, bulky, and expensive, plus learning to play double... I just have no need. I have quite the right foot, if I do say so myself.

Here's another. I don't really have the need for it. I see the merit for it for something like metal or even some of the really technical fusion stuff Steve Smith or Weckl do, but it's just to unnecessary, bulky, and expensive, plus learning to play double... I just have no need. I have quite the right foot, if I do say so myself.

Yeah, man! Just limit yourself; very smart move.

Fox.

.. if you don't mind me asking .. hows your high hat foot ? does it just sit around waiting for a chance to open the high hat once in a while .. .. do you keep a quarter not pulse stomping on the hats here and there ? if you do ANYTHING that involves your high hat foot enough your already on your way to double bass .. like if you play bonhnam triplets .. hat bass bass ... .. take that to a double pedal .. bridge the slave beater and hats and stomp them both with your left foot and do the double on your right ... instant triplets on the bass drum WHILE keeping time on the hats .. not saying this in a sarchastic way .. just pointing out something .. and .. either way .. double bass can't possibly hurt the strength of your high hat foot

.. if you don't mind me asking .. hows your high hat foot ? does it just sit around waiting for a chance to open the high hat once in a while .. .. do you keep a quarter not pulse stomping on the hats here and there ? if you do ANYTHING that involves your high hat foot enough your already on your way to double bass .. like if you play bonhnam triplets .. hat bass bass ... .. take that to a double pedal .. bridge the slave beater and hats and stomp them both with your left foot and do the double on your right ... instant triplets on the bass drum WHILE keeping time on the hats .. not saying this in a sarchastic way .. just pointing out something .. and .. either way .. double bass can't possibly hurt the strength of your high hat foot

IMO it's not that it hurts my beats not having my foot on the hats, but it doesn't add very much to the music having a lot of bass drum. the amount of bass drum I can play with one foot is suitable for most music except, like ?uesto said, metal and things like that. Which I've seen really awesome drummers get by with single pedals in metal, too.

It's all personal preference, but I've seen people completely wreck music with double bass.

I play single pedal, but I appreciate a double. I own one, but nothing I play requires it really. I see both sides of the argument. I wouldn't limit myself, but I also don't need it in a band setting. I practice it occasionally.

Single pedal. I hate double pedals, or atleast 90% of the way people use them which is just playing them at speeds that sound drone to the ear. I'm more impressed with people that can be creative that fit doubles and triplets with one foot in all sorts of odd places then the MetAlHeaDz who can play 16ths at 200 bpm for 30 minutes.

Single pedal. I hate double pedals, or atleast 90% of the way people use them which is just playing them at speeds that sound drone to the ear. I'm more impressed with people that can be creative that fit doubles and triplets with one foot in all sorts of odd places then the MetAlHeaDz who can play 16ths at 200 bpm for 30 minutes.

You don't respect a guy who can play 16th notes on both his left and right foot at 100 BPM for 30 minutes straight? I don't respect that Jazzdude who can play so quietly not even he can hear himself play.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. I use a double pedal but the music i play doesn't really require it. The only time my slave pedal gets a good doing is if i'm covering some Metal or Rock songs that has some double pedal in the songs. Other than that i rarely use it.

Funny thing though. Everytime i take my slave pedal off my setup i feel like something is missing from my kit. It doesn't matter if i need it or not i always find myself putting back on. Weird uh? lol

It's a silly argument that warrants neither time nor attention spent debating it.

Same argument can be used for cymbals or toms, yet no-one seems to stress over anyone using two floor toms or 4 crashes. It's all just colour. The way you use them is far more important than what you choose to use.

It's simply a matter of "style".

'Nuff said.

I bought a double pedal, simply because i was either gonna buy an iron cobra single, or a pearl eliminator, i liked the feel of the eliminators more, but the shop only had the double pedal in stock at the time, and it was only 20 pound more than the single iron cobra! (i had money to burn at the time D: )
But i practice it now and then, can make some pretty catchy beats with it if used sparingly, but it is VERY difficult i reckon, it has made me respect double pedal players much more than i previously did.
But for what i play, double isnt needed, so i would call myself a single player!

Single.
Cuz, you gotta admit it's pretty darn awesome when you can play "Good Times Bad Times" with one foot.
Plus, nothing of mine ever wants/requires double stuff.

Back