Dale Crover

Hasselhoff

I personally love Dale Crover and everything about him fom his weird drum sizes to his eratic use of flams. In my opinion he is truly a special musician.

Definitely a fan. I like his work with the Melvins, but when they teamed up with Jello Biafra he really shined. Halo of Flies from the albun Sieg Howdy has some awesome drumming.

He also drummed on some early Nirvana tracks and while I love Dave Grohl, I think Dale almost fits better with the style of the band.

I remember, back in the day, Dale would play a show wearing nothing but tighty whities and would keep his extra sticks tucked in the waistband. Whenever he lost or broke a stick he'd whip out out another one like a gunfighter. Truly one of the most important bands of our time. I've already resolved that if my first born is a girl she will be named Ozma, after my favorite Melvins record, provided the wife doesn't mind, of course. On the other hand, no lady that dislikes the Melvins shall ever be graced with the title of "Mrs. Livegoat".

---LG

Only two replies? Dale Crover is very under appreciated. He is an extremely tasteful drummer, though he may not be as technically masterful as someone such as Antonio Sanchez.

I remember the 1st time I met Dale.

He came into where I was working with a 22" heavy ride, saying he had broken it. LOL.

He's certainly a survivor in the music business.

I seent he Melvins 11 times.

two times with Coady playing as well.

Seen them on lollapalooza in 98. Seen them on the Trilogy tour, pigs.. tour, and multiple times after that.

Dale plays in odd meters a lot of times. Or just plays 4/4 and doesnt play straight ahead.

Last show we talked shop, Tama Babinga Starclassics is what he is using now.

Very inspirational.

AMAZED that he FINALLY made the cover of Modern Drummer!

Hola,

I have a question :) How can he hang the floor tom in front of his snare ??

Ber

Extra long tom mount.
Tama has made him custom drums for a while

Broke a 22 inch!

He does hit with his whole body it seems.

He puts a lot into those HUGE drums.

For a while he was using a 26, 16, 18, 22 gong drum.

That would be tiring.

Also, keeping up with Lombardo in Fantomas is no easy task as well!

His drum sound is incredible as well, does anyone know how he achieves it? Particularly on the "Stoner Witch" album... Been trying to replicate it for a while, especially the snare sound.

This is also similar to the sound Dave Grohl used early on, I think it might be something to do with the sizes of the drums, quite possibly the 14x8 snare drum that's usually used...

to get the dale crover sound-
1.) get really BIG drums.
2.) tune them low
3.) hit really hard
4.) dress like an ape. (he seemed to play better this time as an ape)

i was sitting behind him and coady during the show when they came through town a few weeks ago, controlled sounds and wooden beaters help too :)

This is also similar to the sound Dave Grohl used early on, I think it might be something to do with the sizes of the drums, quite possibly the 14x8 snare drum that's usually used...

Dale and Dave are good friends.

Dale played in Nirvana briefly. When Nirvana got huge, Dave got a Tama endorsement, and then convinced Tama to give Dale an endorsement too. For a while, they were playing near identical kits, although I think Dale was still using the bigger sizes than Dave.

Back