Yamaha Nerds Please Help!

MrKickSnareHats

Hi all

Just wondering if someone could give me some more information on this Yamaha drum set. All I know about the kit is that it was imported from Italy, made in July 2002 (according to this http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/drums/ac-drumsets/806/4177) and the badge says
Maple Custom Absolute
ATT1112J QIN6010
Made in Japan

Any information you have on these drums would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Jamal

Well, I'm a bit confused by a couple things.
I'm not an expert but my thoughts:

That is a wrap finish from the Maple Custom Definitive line., almost positive on that.
I used to have two snare drums in that finish.

To my knowledge, Maple Custom Absolutes were lacquer/stain finishes ONLY.
Picture below is a picture of the Maple Custom Definitive kit....this kit for sale locally with 8/10/12/14/16/22/14sn for $1799 (a smokin' deal btw!). Note the 'normal' triple flanged hoops. The badges also have a large maple leaf in the back ground as they were intended for the Canadian market.

They are made in Japan and are high quality Yamaha drums - Chinese maple I think - but either these were very special made for somebody - or - someone went through the trouble and considerable cost of replacing all the triple flange 1.6 (?)mm hoops with the die cast aluminum hoops in your picture - AND swapped out all the badges - changing Maple Custom Definitive badges with those Maple Custom Absolute badges. Also, the MCAN badges are screwed on, the Definitive badges are glued...at least some of them. Those are regular absolute lugs.

Or...It could be simply regular old MCAN's with that wrap finish on them. Can anyone confirm that this finish wasn't only on Definitive drums?

Neal

Attachments

• yamaha MCD.jpg
    yamaha MCD.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 1,169
Or...It could be simply regular old MCAN's with that wrap finish on them.

Neal

Has to be regular Absolutes. Otherwise it would have the Definitive exclusive badge on it like in your photo, as well as the generic bass claw hooks. His has the Absolute units.

Here is another Absolute wrap finish available.

10947_12073_1.jpg

Does it scare the crap out of you guys to see how they have those drums displayed in evilg99's post ? That just looks like a big problem waiting to happen. I know you wouldn't stack those drums like that in a store around here. John

Does it scare the crap out of you guys to see how they have those drums displayed in evilg99's post ? That just looks like a big problem waiting to happen. I know you wouldn't stack those drums like that in a store around here. John

I know! It freaks me out too but they have a dozen sets on display like this - and they have been doing this for about 3 years (knocking on wood) with no accidents and no ill effect to the drums. It still bothers me.

Neal

Ahhh, OK I wasn't sure if that color was on early Absolutes.
Definitives sure weren't around for long, only 2-3 years...

N

Educate me, as I am lacking in knowledge. I thought the earlier runs of the absolute series had gold badges?

I think it is sort of mid-way production because of the updated fittings like the bass hoop claws as well as the Yamaha die cast hoops.

So..... - did you get them?

Yes I did. I should probably take the time to explain how I got them.

Earlier this year my drum teacher Matt 'Mufasa' Sykes passed away after a boating accident at 27 years of age. He never wrote out a will or anything of that nature but his parents & girlfriend recall him speaking about a student named Jamal (me) that was an extremely enthusiastic musician. So his family knowing I would put the drums to good use gave me one of his drum sets to keep & look after. I was honoured to know that he had spoke of me let alone be given one of his best drum sets.

So yeah that's my little story about how I got these beautiful set of drums. Just thought it was worth mentioning seeing as he had such an impact on my playing & music as a whole. He really was the grooviest cat around. RIP Mufa

Jamal :)

Back