Just Bought a late 60's Luddy Kit

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
14x20 9x13 16x16.
I couldn't resist :)
More to follow next week when I receive the goods.

Attachments

• product_thumb-1.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-1.php.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • product_thumb.php.jpeg
    product_thumb.php.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,129
  • product_thumb-9.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-9.php.jpeg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • product_thumb-8.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-8.php.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,134
  • product_thumb-7.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-7.php.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,129
  • product_thumb-5.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-5.php.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,146
  • product_thumb-6.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-6.php.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,139
  • product_thumb-4.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-4.php.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,160
  • product_thumb-3.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-3.php.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • product_thumb-2.php.jpeg
    product_thumb-2.php.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,151
That looks beautiful and classic. And I am jealous.Congrats, Bob!

Here are close ups of the badges. Im sure that you Ludwig buffs can fill me in with more info.
They seem to be from an original complete kit as far as I can tell. They were advertised that way.
I put them at around 1968.

Thanks alparrott :)

Attachments

• LWMP9tombdgsml.jpg
    LWMP9tombdgsml.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • LWMP10FTbdgsml.jpg
    LWMP10FTbdgsml.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,128
  • LWMP11BDbdgsml.jpg
    LWMP11BDbdgsml.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,131
  • LWMP8sml.jpg
    LWMP8sml.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 1,140
Last edited:
The wrap still looks gorgeous... I think it's my favorite to see on any vintage kit! I can't wait to hear how it sounds!

The wrap still looks gorgeous... I think it's my favorite to see on any vintage kit! I can't wait to hear how it sounds!
They have aged just enough to display a slight amount of yellowing but not as though they were abused.
I love these sizes. My first kit was a Slingerland in these sizes.
I recently bought a 2012 Club Date SE and I fell in love with it.
I just had to have the real thing!
I also can't wait to experiment with them next week.
Yes, I paid to much! But I don't care. I decided to treat myself to something that I really wanted.

Last edited:
They have aged just enough to display a slight amount of yellowing but not as though they were abused.

I'm surprised. Can't really pick that from the photos at all.....in fact, I initially wondered if it was a re-wrap it's in such good nick.

Excellent find. Enjoy 'em Bobby!!

As for the price.......well, try and buy 3 ply Luddies here in Oz. Price is nothing more than relative mate. And what price do you put on desire anyway?? :)

Yes, I paid to much! But I don't care. I decided to treat myself to something that I really wanted.
Absobloodylutely!!! Price compared to "market value", or price compared to number of smiles. It's all both relevant, & irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that you paid what you thought they were worth to you :)

Bob, stunning mate. There's very few wraps that I like, but this is one of them. So classy, so timeless. Congratulations!

Thanks all, As far as I know the only thing that has been done to the kit is that the bass drum hoops have been well repainted.

Those look to be in really good condition, especially for WMP. Usually at that age they would be a little yellow but those look new. Congratulations!

I cannot believe the condition of that WMP. Wow. Simply stunning. Congratulations!

Just beautiful Bob.They look to me to be all original and the badge grommets are unmolested and aged brass.If they were forged,then the forger did a masterfull job.

To be sure,just pop the heads off and check to see if the wrap is tucked into the plys of the drum at the scarf joint.Ludwig used to actually wrap a flat 3 ply piece of mahohany/poplar /mahogany...and THEN form it into a drum shell.

That's why a rewrap is next to impossible to hide.I've never seen a sucessful job removing the last piece of the wrap from the plys.

Best of luck.Throw some coated ambassadors on them and listen for the magic.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
Wow are they in fantastic shape or what?

Impulse buy Bob?

I know how to un-yellow these shell in case you're interested. They don't look like they need it TBH.

It was kind of an impulse Larry. I was scanning Steve Maxwell's site and there they were.
When I saw the condition and I read what Steve wrote about the kit in his description I had to buy it.
Steve has a great rep for telling it exactly like it is.
He basically said that this is one of the best examples of a 60's Ludwig kit that he has ever seen. He said that if it wasn't for the 20" bass he would keep them for his personal collection.
In my case I wanted the 20" bass.

This looks to me like a kit that was kept in the best of conditions by upstanding owner/s.
I plan on doing the same.

tamadrm, Its gonna be coated ambs top and bottom on these toms and probably a PS3 coated on the bass batter side.
I probably won't gig with this kit. I have my 2012 Club Date for that purpose.
This will be a home studio queen :)

Last edited:
Thanks BFY and all others that I may have not thanked yet.
I was just thinking. I may install two of the new fangled Atlas lugs on the bass drum so that I can add cymbal mounts for a splash and a ride without drilling the bass shell. (I wouldn't dream of drilling these shells)
I may also add one for the tom mount for isolation.
What say you experts???

Back