So you're going to a band audition...

MaryO2

Curious...what would be your ideal audition situation? Seriously.

We are getting ready to audition new drummers for our band (again...) and I'm just wondering what the best way to conduct an audition for a drummer would be. Who better to ask than drummers????

First. Plenty of notice to allow for preparation.

List of songs you want to go through, keep it short, and version if covers. Sent early, see above.

A decent size rehearsal space with good access If poss.

If a kit is provided for audition some idea of drum sizes and number of drums. Most drummers would bring there own snare, cymbals and pedal.

A fixed time for the audition. This works both ways, you are not waiting ages for a drummer to set up and the drummer is not waiting around getting nervous. If a musician cant get there on time for a audition they are not worth wasting time on.

Dont audition too many drummers in a short evening slot. Too much hanging about waiting, then too fraught and hurried to make good decisions.

Other than that good luck. Oh..... and remember, you and the rest of the current band are also being auditioned by any prospective new member so be professional.

Ideally, they come to me so I don't have to tear down, set up, tear down and set up my gear :)

Second best, they have a decent kit and a decent place to play.

Don't overlap auditions. Leave plenty of time in case one runs long.

Give me a specific song list. If you like, throw in something basic at the end to test my ability to improvise.

Don't have distractions of family members milling about. Band members only. I went to one where the husband and wife were arguing uncomfortable about stupid stuff like the thermostat setting.

First. Plenty of notice to allow for preparation.

List of songs you want to go through, keep it short, and version if covers. Sent early, see above.

A decent size rehearsal space with good access If poss.

If a kit is provided for audition some idea of drum sizes and number of drums. Most drummers would bring there own snare, cymbals and pedal.

A fixed time for the audition. This works both ways, you are not waiting ages for a drummer to set up and the drummer is not waiting around getting nervous. If a musician cant get there on time for a audition they are not worth wasting time on.

Dont audition too many drummers in a short evening slot. Too much hanging about waiting, then too fraught and hurried to make good decisions.

Other than that good luck. Oh..... and remember, you and the rest of the current band are also being auditioned by any prospective new member so be professional.

Yep, this pretty much covers it.

If it were me, I'd want to know what songs we were performing, and if possible, arrangements. Otherwise, I'd want to know which version of a song to learn, if it's a standard or classic.

I'd want to know specific start and end times, what equipment I needed, and if we would also be having a jam afterwards.

Basically, be professional, as clear as possible, and be friendly, as said above. I've been to auditions where the band have been more concerned keeping up an image, rather than being friendly, and they just came across as unpleasant.

All good stuff and, thankfully, mostly got it covered. They are going to be playing my Stage Customs, so they don't have to break down and set up. I let them know exactly what set I have and what cymbals, etc. Of course free to bring whatever makes them comfortable.

Song list - check!
Set time - check!

Like the mention of remembering that the band is being auditioned as well. Good thing to keep in mind, for sure.

And I always make sure to let the drummer know something, one way or the other, within 24-48 hours. No one likes to be kept waiting.

Great ideas, guys. It helps. I really hate the audition process...from either end. It's never easy.

Just give me the names of a couple of songs a week or two in advance and I’ll learn them.

I’m really only interested in being in a band with people that I already know. I probably jammed with them already. So much depends on personality, not drumming skill. I’m more interested in musicians if they come to one of my gigs - it’s like they know me already.

And I always make sure to let the drummer know something, one way or the other, within 24-48 hours.

You will have made your decision in a few minutes. Possibly before they even set up :)

Great ideas, guys. It helps. I really hate the audition process...from either end. It's never easy.

Change your perspective.

Music is FUN so have fun with it. There is nothing serious about it at all. You will meet new and interesting people and undoubtedly have some great stories to share when it's over.

For me I would need lemon pie. Or maybe doughnuts and orange juice.

Oh, and a little bit of time to talk to the guys and gals in the group.

I used to interview people who were trying to get hired.
Usually the person being interviewed will either talk themselves out of the job or really impress you.

You need to ask some open ended questions, like "What kind of music to you like to play?" or "How many bands have you played with and what kind of music did they play?" etc.

You will be surprised how much important information you will learn.
And you will likely find out how large their ego is.

(There are some really crazy people out there.)

Ideal audition setup?

Give me some recordings of your original stuff or a set list of songs your band can play. That way I can practice and at least have most of the ground work done.

Give me a good kit or let me know if I should bring my own.

Be prepared because if you're still setting up when I arrive then you're wasting my time.

Be professional, no screwing around and know your parts.

Be friendly and give me a good idea of what you're looking for from me and what the band is actually like.

I used to interview people who were trying to get hired.
Usually the person being interviewed will either talk themselves out of the job or really impress you.

You need to ask some open ended questions, like "What kind of music to you like to play?" or "How many bands have you played with and what kind of music did they play?" etc.

You will be surprised how much important information you will learn.
And you will likely find out how large their ego is.

(There are some really crazy people out there.)

What is quoted above is spot on. I'd like to add to that.

I know that times have changed, but I never liked the 'multi-audition' in a single night approach. After your initial interview, you should already have a good idea if there is a personality fit. The next step is to gauge the musical fit and then player's professionalism. That is hard to do if you rush anything.

Do not variate from the songs you request they audition with, and make sure the flavor of the tunes you provide them covers your entire repertoire. A good player will go over them before hand and will be prepared. Asking them to do other tunes without notice, is not really fair - even if they are classic or std tunes. On the other side of the same coin, if (at the audition) they ask you to play different tunes, this is a red flag that they may not have spent the time with the tunes you asked them to go over.

As far as you providing equipment, the player could be very uncomfortable auditioning on equipment that is not their own. Unless you are providing the equipment to gig with, it is important to see what they have themselves, the condition, etc. You can surely ask the person if they want to use what you have in the future so they don't have to set up and tear down for each rehearsal.

Hope this helpful.

-providing recordings of the songs to be played at the audition

-suggesting a set time limit for the audition, which lets it end gracefully in the event things aren't a love match, but that also offers the potential to keep playing if folks are feeling it - i.e. "...we've come to the end of the hour, are you up for playing a little longer?"

-beer helps

Auditions are hard.

Have a bad day and both the auditioner and auditioned lose out.

I am beginning to think an audition should last long enough for people to get to know each other and for the honeymoon to wear off...and see how conflicts are dealt with.

Determining playing ability is easy...determining if the person is a right fit is FAR harder...and the crux of a working project.

Question to ask before you decide to invite them for an audition:
—Ask them to tell you about their cymbals.

You should be able to glean a preponderance of information from reading those bones.

I’m really only interested in being in a band with people that I already know. I probably jammed with them already. So much depends on personality, not drumming skill.

This. Of course, on my island, it's a small community. (There's only around 50,000 permanent residents, small for such a vibrant music scene.) I need to know at least two members of any given project, and I like to at least know the others by rep. There are people here I don't care to gig with. I'll jam with them, but nothing more serious.

Of course, that's only obliquely related to the OP, so I'll apologize for the sidetrack. ;-)

I don't care to audition on an instrument that isn't mine. My instrument is a total thing, not just cymbals and pedals. Besides, it's what I'll be bringing to rehearsals and gigs, so having it all exactly like I want it is important. What I'd do is schedule prospects a couple drummers a time over several sessions. Give each enough time for both parties to assess the other. That way each prospect has a chance to play her own instrument, hang with you, get to know you, talk without time pressures.

That's my tuppence. :)

I had done auditions where the lead singer wasn't there , guitar plsyer missing as well. Another one , bass player wasn't there. You are suditioning a drummer but he is Aldo looking for a band. For me , if one isn't there , I just walk away (leArned my lesson ).
Bottom line, make sure the whole band is there.

I had done auditions where the lead singer wasn't there , guitar plsyer missing as well. Another one , bass player wasn't there. You are suditioning a drummer but he is Aldo looking for a band. For me , if one isn't there , I just walk away (leArned my lesson ).

Very good point. Especially true with players that have been around for awhile, all the other band members are being evaluated by the drummer as part of the drummers criteria in auditioning the rest of the band for themselves.

In other words, don't assume you are just auditioning the drummer. The drummer is also auditioning you.

Song list right away, including the version you are working too. Youtube link or MP3 is very helpful.
If you have rearranged it, a recording would be very helpful.
Conversation about philosophy of the band, such as if you are cover band do you strive to play the song as close as possible?
Select some of the songs that you want all the auditioning drummers to play and then give them a choice of 1-3 others.
One situation I was in let me pick the songs and then said he really needed someone that could play a particular song but did not ask me to prep it.
Be clear about whether you or the drummer wants to sing and prepare for that.
Identify the harmony part you expect the person to sing. Again a recording of your band helps a bunch here.
Be clear about the time. Is the stated time when the audition starts or when you expect the drummer to show up to set up.
Don't be afraid to play the same song a second time. Sometimes the way the band plays makes it hard for a drummer to nail it first time.
Get back to them right away. I am astounded at how many never get back in touch with you.

^ Yes, yes and yes.

I've gone to auditions too where a member didn't show up or was late, or left early. It's like why should I waste my time joining your band if the band can't get it together?

I'd also advise against scheduling numerous people right after the other. That works if you're a big name looking for a top play, but for a local cover band, you want, as you have already said, someone who fits in personality wise. You won't be able to tell much if people are running in and out.

Since no one has said it before, if possible, invite all the drummers you can to one of your gigs and then afterwards, see who is most interested in being in the band. Let them do some self weeding. Then start real auditions

Or provide them all with live recordings and see who is really into it if there aren't any gigs in the near future.

Back