Smiley Faces and Angry Posts

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Am I the only one who hates it when someone posts an obviously irritated or angry response and ends it with a smiley face?

Kinda like this: :)

It's passive aggressive and annoying. All members who use this tactic are immature and prefer angering opposition to being in an actual intellectual conversation and should go pour bleach in their eyes. Thanks. :)

I prefer the ones that add a bit of sarcasm and add a little 8+) at the end. That by the way is my smiley face with my Florida sunglasses on.

I prefer the ones that add a bit of sarcasm and add a little 8+) at the end.

Exactly. I actually find them useful from time to time. The smiley face often denotes a degree of tongue-in-cheek or at least lets one know that the post has been written more as a tease than through any real aggression (as per my first reply Coldie....I wasn't serious and the smiley helps to reflect that).

I like them. More often than not they allow me to see the context behind the post. Face to face, we have body language, eye contact and tone of voice to make intentions easy to identify.....not so much when relying solely on the written word.

Exactly. I actually find them useful from time to time. The smiley face often denotes a degree of tongue-in-cheek or at least lets one know that the post has been written more as a tease than through any real aggression (as per my first reply Coldie....I wasn't serious and the smiley helps to reflect that).

I like them. More often than not they allow me to see the context behind the post. Face to face, we have body language and tone of voice to make intentions easy to identify.....not so much when relying solely on the written word.
Well said you Ausie lush. ;P

tumblr_kweu4mkIqB1qa4ygxo1_500.jpg

Oh, oh. Do I win?

"spress yoself" is what I say. Use all the tools made available to you by God n' Gates to do that.

Its a lot less painful than having to read the next six posts explaining the tone and manner and what was actually meant in the first one.

See......the absence of a smiley makes me think you are serious. No smileys....and confusion reigns supreme.

:) :) :) :) ;-) ;-) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) (take that Coldhardsteel.....had enough, or do you want some more?)

GAHHHHHHHH MY BRAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNN

"spress yoself" is what I say. Use all the tools made available to you by God n' Gates to do that.

Its a lot less painful than having to read the next six posts explaining the tone and manner and what was actually meant in the first one.

+1

I like emoticons. If I do a smiley then it means I'm either smiling as I type or smiling inside. Emoticons and lol etc help bridge the gap between the written word and body language, especially when dealing with people you've never met face to face.

I don't mind how people express themselves if I like what's being expressed. Better still if a person writes with a fair level of grammar, spelling and eloquence, but I'm fine with any amount of clunkiness if the thoughts expressed are wise.

Life's too short to waste passing judgement on people for misdemeanours.

Am I the only one who hates it when someone posts an obviously irritated or angry response and ends it with a smiley face?

It's passive aggressive and annoying. All members who use this tactic are immature and prefer angering opposition to being in an actual intellectual conversation and should go pour bleach in their eyes. Thanks. :)

If there is a smiley face, how do you know the post in angry?

I've seen a lot of posts where someone took something to be mean/angry when the writer was not intending to to be mean/angry.

It's all plain text, and and people tend to insert what tone of voice they think the writer is using, when it may or may not be the case. Emoticons can be helping to better state the proper tone of voice to distinguish what is an angry post vs a happy post, or otherwise.

What exactly has brought this on then? I agree with everyone else that emoticons are there to be used on forums in the absence of any other way of expressing emotion, aside from using the written word, which can be extremely cumbersome and difficult to use for people who aren't Earnest Hemmingway. (I know nothing about Earnest Hemmingway except that he has the same intials as me but he was in this crap film that my mum made me watch on monday so that's the only reason I'm mentioning him).

Back