Tension Rods

MJ14

I am getting a custom 14x6 snare drum and putting 2 3/16 tube lugs on it, so I'm wondering what size tension rods do I need? I've tried searching on here and google with no lucky really, and I know there's a ton of knowledgeable guys on here! I would appreciate any input! Thanks a bunch.

I am getting a custom 14x6 snare drum and putting 2 3/16 tube lugs on it, so I'm wondering what size tension rods do I need? I've tried searching on here and google with no lucky really, and I know there's a ton of knowledgeable guys on here! I would appreciate any input! Thanks a bunch.

Let's see math time. 6" minus 2 and 3/16 equals 3 and 13 16ths. Divide that by 2 and you get an inch and a half, plus 13 - 32nds, just round it off to 2 inches. Figuring at least 1/2 inch of rod in the lug plus a little extra and I think it would be safe to say that if your rods were 3 inches long, that should be the right length.

Let's see math time. 6" minus 2 and 3/16 equals 3 and 13 16ths. Divide that by 2 and you get an inch and a half, plus 13 - 32nds, just round it off to 2 inches. Figuring at least 1/2 inch of rod in the lug plus a little extra and I think it would be safe to say that if your rods were 3 inches long, that should be the right length.

The drum is only 6" deep and the way hoops are made rods usually set lower than the head so wouldn't 3" rods bottom out against each other inside the lug?

3" sounds like waaaaay too much. Without having a drum in front of me, I would make up a rule of thumb as follows: T-rod length should be about the same or slightly more than the distance from the edge of the lug to the shell, assuming that the amount that the T-rod sinks below the shell is about as much rod as you want in the lug. So about 2" in your case.

I retract my post. I will hide my head in shame as I pass this thread. My deepest apologies. I am humbled and will go into voluntary fast and meditation.

Back