PDP X7 vs. Platium

richard0lowe

Im selling my old kit and down sizing for quality, i like to play funk and a bit of jazz and i was wondering what would be best. i know they are both maple however the platinum is of better quality? anyway any reviews or reccomendations etc. i would love, thanks richard

platinum is PDP's high end, so it would be much better than the X7

if i were you i would just jump up to a DW kit

PDP Platinum is made from the same North American maple DW drums are made of. They are also made in Mexico. The X7 series is made out in the Orient (China or Taiwan, not sure which) and uses Asian maple.

Platinum is of a higher quality, also x7 is made for rock so it may not fit your style.

Platinum is better quality than X7 which is the one i own, incredible drum set but still platinum is better, but i also suggest you to get a DW maybe a 4pc would fit your style.

That's like comparing a Pearl Export to a Pearl Masters.

X7-Poplar Shells (although the newer ones use Asian Maple)

Platinum-North American Rock Maple Shells

It's so worth it to save a bit more and go for the Platinums :)

well i was only wanting to spend like £800 ukp on the kit so getting a dw set as much as i would love one would be to expancive so thats why i was looking at the platium. i was looking at a 4pc. set with bass, tom , FT and snare [mabe a sencond FT if pos.]

I went for the X7's if you get some pin stripes on them and fined the sweet spots they should be perfect, just take your time on thinking this one out... buying a drum kit is always differcult lol

cheers

Can anyone help? xD its between the x7, a 4pc. Platium or mabe a second hand DW 4pc. for arround £800 UKP ?

Christ it sounds like you need help.

If you can't decide between those, then lay off the crack. The second hand DW wins by a country mile.

And I don't even care for DW.

But u dont get 4pc. DW kits for that price oO not even on ebay lol xD

Well...

richard0lowe said:
its between the x7, a 4pc. Platium or mabe a second hand DW 4pc. for arround £800 UKP ?

...why were you under the impression that you could get DW kits for that price?? Either way, skip the X7 and at least go straight to Platinums, they're just below par in terms of shell and hardware quality to DW... more people should just get Platinums to begin with, DW is way overhyped. NEIL PEART PLAYS THEM!! Well, Mike Portnoy plays Tama, Billy Cobham plays Yamaha, Dennis Chambers plays Pearl, and Vinnie Colaiuta plays Gretsch! And yet when you ask someone what brand makes the best kits, 9 times out of 10 the answer, without hesitation, will be DW.

I dunno, there was a 4 piece (alright three piece; the snare wasn't included) DW set for $1100 around me. That's what? 750ish GBP? It can be done.

The problem is, that's how it looks. As other members will attest, the price in Pounds is usually the same number as it is in Dollars. Even if you bought the set for $1,100 from the US, import fees would make that almost a straight buy. There's just no way around it.

Well yeah. I know how expensive everything is over in the UK as opposed to here in the US. Was just pointing out it's possible somewhere in the world :d

On topic, though, go for the Platinums if you can afford it. X7's big advantage are cool finishes and lots of maple drums for cheap. Platinums have better quality and more choices (there are no additional drums for the X7 series besides those 7 drums, by the way).

I Bought the pdp x7 a few weeks back and it sounds awesome and gives you lots of choices for fills but it depends on your style if you like big kitsbut if i had the money id go for the platinum because its like the next level of the x7 Or prbably save up 4 a DW

Back