Tre' Cool

You don't get it, Tre plays the most perfect fills. I wouldn't say that metal drummers play fitting beats all the time. What do you listen to? Tre's beats simply cannot get any better. And he also never plays off time, or hes using a click track. Your "theory" about soccer moms and kids listening to Green Day isn't strong enough to win against my point.

Well the majority of the people like "pop" or popular music, and makes you the minority.

But it's so easy to play in time especailly when your occupation is to play drums! You'd have so much time and equipment with all his money to make it so easy to play everything he does perfect. Metal drummers like Chris Adler, Mike Smith, Joey Jordison have very 'fitting' beats and can play everything in synchronisation with the entire band like Tre does, but metal is much harder and strenuous compared to pop music. The band is so ridiculous, and so is pop/chart music.

That's a rather sweeping generalization to make about the audience of one of the most popular punk bands ever, isn't it? You've said this a couple of times, which kinda makes me wonder who really has something to prove by how "hardcore" the music is that they listen to.

Guess the conversation's over, eh? The final authority has spoken.

The generalization is so true, if Lamb Of God had every new single they put out played non-stop on the radio they'd be just as famous as Green Day. As said earlier Green Day is a lyric band and so is Lamb Of God (go and read some of their lyrics) with an incredible singer, plus Chris Adler who could eat Tre alive. And if you say no one would like the screaming and gore grind eventually everyone would be accustomed to it and love it.

I AM the final authority and I have spoken, there is no debate who would be better, any heavy thrash band or Green Day. The outcome is unanimous. The heavy metal band could play anything Green Day could (and sing aswell) but Green Day couldn't play anything the thrash band could play (or sing).

The generalization is so true, if Lamb Of God had every new single they put out played non-stop on the radio they'd be just as famous as Green Day. As said earlier Green Day is a lyric band and so is Lamb Of God (go and read some of their lyrics) with an incredible singer, plus Chris Adler who could eat Tre alive. And if you say no one would like the screaming and gore grind eventually everyone would be accustomed to it and love it.

I AM the final authority and I have spoken, there is no debate who would be better, any heavy thrash band or Green Day. The outcome is unanimous. The heavy metal band could play anything Green Day could (and sing aswell) but Green Day couldn't play anything the thrash band could play (or sing).

I like everything I've heard from Lamb of God. They are intense. But - it's not a competition.

And please forgive me - I have a problem with authority.

I never understood the animosity towards Tre. Ever since that music video of them in the psych-ward, I've been a fan. He seems like a fun guy to hang with. what's the big deal?

why are people comparing green day to metal bands?
its not a fair comparison because they are 2 bands from 2 completely different genres.
sure chris adler could drum circles around tre but that doesnt mean that tre isnt a good drummer.
tre plays what the music calls for and in green day, its not really that hard. they play light-hearted pop-punk and when he does do fills,
they are usually exactly what the music needs - something simple to keep the music flowing.

lastly, who really cares...

(rant finished)

His playing is accessable to everyone, and much like Dave Grohl his simple playing suits his genre. Another thing is that many of his fills are infectious and very memorable, not because their some flash of blinding genius, but because they are simple and effective -
boom boom bah bah da boom boom bah... You would have to be dead not to connect with it.

Re: Tre' Cool?

Tre Cool is amazing period. If you have doubts listen to "Jesus of Suburbia" off of American Idiot.

Agreed...great song and great drumming. Lots of different grooves and the fills are really well done. This is probably Tre's best recorded drumming, IMO.

That song is insane drum wise because of its groove and its simplicity. I love the whole American Idiot cd.

I actually taught myself to drum with American Idiot.

It's kind of funny, because when I started, I couldn't really hear all of the little things that he was able to do with the songs, and always thought I could play it prefectly.

A month ago, though, I picked the cd up again, to drum to it (I decided to go back to my roots of drumming, as I had taken 2-3 months off from it), and as soon as I put the headphones on, I could actually hear all of what he did. I had only been playing 1/4th of it all right :p I was pretty shocked, actually, realizing how much I had actually sucked back then.

Tre' Cool is actually a pretty good drummer, but to be honest, he's kind of mellowing out with age. Before, he had a lot of energy and power being as young as he was. Now, however, he's stuck w/ half of what he had before. He can still lay down some cool grooves, though. :)

Personally, he's an average mainstream drummer. If you want to see better drumming, you have to step out of the music these record companies keep plugging.

Okay, I just read through this whole thread and felt more than obligated to bump this.

First of all, I've been playing for about a year and play I'd say 90% of Green Day's songs. (And please don't use that as an argument. I've put more time and effort into this project than anything I've done in my life.) Some REALLY early stuff cause I just don't want to, and some stuff (Homecoming, Haushinka, Holden Caulfield) because I just can't pull it off. It will surely come with time though, as I've been told mastering the drums comes with practice, but even more experience. And yes, I used the word "mastering" on purpose because I KNOW Tre Cool has mastered the drums.

A few things that made my teeth grind when reading though this thread. These are just random quotes I'm pulling out, I'm sure more than one person has said something like it through the thread.

Did I say anything about him not playing his parts perfectly?
What he plays any grade 5 primary school drum student could play.
Green Day is a little kids try hard band beause they think they're all hard core listening to them. The band is ridiculous and never has any good drumming in it. Maybe they come up with good riffs which make it onto the charts every now and then but Tre Cool could be replaced with ease. And to keep on beat requires only a small mind and possibly a little ticking metronome in the background. Your point isn't valid, he still sucks.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life. First of all, a fifth grader doesn't have the ARM MUSCLE to pull off what Tre does, even if they COULD wrap their minds around beats like Longview, the bridge in Welcome to Paradise, Jesus of Suburbia solo, Novacaine, ETC. The list goes on and on.

Tre' cool plays only simple stuff, but he makes it sound really good and he really does play with the music. I think he gives people what they just want to hear.

You're probably not here to read this but for anyone who is, try figuring out this beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c87TKWgRyCE

Or this, when the chorus comes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFsWqweo2eA

2:35 in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Y-r-rs9W8

And lastly, go listen to the Homecoming fills. I get the feeling people in the thread have been talking out of TOTAL ignorance and have only heard their obvious mainstream stuff.

Not all of his stuff is simple like you guys are saying. No doubt about that.

And a general statement, it's totally wrong to be saying he isn't "good" judging from the stuff he puts out. Watch Bullet in a Bible. He was in the band as a kid and he KNOWS jazz. And he's pretty damn good at it too. Like someone else said in this thread, he NEVER messes up. Only time I've ever seen him screw up is when he just lost track of the song in WMUWSE when his snare got messed up and some guy was down there working on it while he was playing. NEVER messes up fills or anything. And that's not easy to do when you play fast like him.

Go to 1:07 in this video and look at his face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRey0SR1At4

Are you kidding me? You have to be EXTREMELY good and comfortable to do that kind of crap when playing in front of 120k people and making a live DVD. To me, perfection in drums is one of the hardest things to achieve. And he is certainly perfect.

Someone mentioned anti-American. Out of everything in this thread that has annoyed me, that was the worst part. GREEN DAY IS NOT ANTI-AMERICAN. I swear I don't know how many times I have to tell people this. It's not even a matter of opinion. People ignorantly look at the title of the 2004 Grammy Award winning album and think "Anti-American". Anyone who does that is just plain stupid. Read the lyrics. They're not anti-American, and once again, that's not up for dispute.

To finish this off, I just went to their concert last week. They are the greatest entertainers (yes, I use that word on purpose---they're MORE than musicians) I've ever seen in my life. And more importantly, people...Tre is NOT slowing down. He's just as nuts as he's ever been.

I myself have been inspired by Tre Cool, he's the one that actually pushed me to buy drums of my own. I believe that he is just as inspiring as he is funny and creative. I think he has great fills, and adds great dramatic influence to his drumming. If you look at him from Kerplunk to 21st Century Breakdown you can see a great difference. For all of you who say he has easy beats and does the same thing and is always predictable, you're all wrong.

Back