Drummerworld NAMM 2014 meet up

I'm living in Los Angeles and so I should go. I believe an invitation from a NAMM member, along with $25, gets you a yellow guest badge.

Hall D seems to be the eye of the storm.

My very first time I went, I paid a vendor $25, but this all happened weeks before the show so I could get NAMM confirmation via email. But I don't think it's set-up in such a way that you could befriend a guy with a NAMM badge outside and have him bring you in to pay NAMM for a badge and be allowed in, right? They didn't appear to be prepared to take money when you go to get an official convention badge. NAMM rules are simple: you have to have gotten an email confirmation, and you print up that confirmation in order to go get your badge inside the hall.

My very first time I went, I paid a vendor $25, but this all happened weeks before the show so I could get NAMM confirmation via email. But I don't think it's set-up in such a way that you could befriend a guy with a NAMM badge outside and have him bring you in to pay NAMM for a badge and be allowed in, right? They didn't appear to be prepared to take money when you go to get an official convention badge. NAMM rules are simple: you have to have gotten an email confirmation, and you print up that confirmation in order to go get your badge inside the hall.

That's too bad. Thanks for the info Bo.

Steph

That's too bad. Thanks for the info Bo.

Steph

Being kinda new to this NAMM business, I could be wrong. That's just what I saw. I saw no money changing hands in the badge area. But maybe Bermuda knows more about it or is in a position to do something about it. Keep in mind, I'm just a big industry nobody ;)

Being kinda new to this NAMM business, I could be wrong. That's just what I saw. I saw no money changing hands in the badge area. But maybe Bermuda knows more about it or is in a position to do something about it. Keep in mind, I'm just a big industry nobody ;)

NAMM has done their best to escalate and enforce restrictions on who gets badges, with little actual results. Attempts to restrict non-essential attendees and keep noise to manageable levels, have failed. The flow of visitors is as strong as ever, and while most are respectful of the business being conducted at the show, many are responsible for excess and prolonged noise, and they add to the congestion of an already well-attended show. Exhibitors and buyers/store-owners are the worst offenders, by often not even knowing the people they authorize as visitors. Ironically, they're also the biggest complainers about the crowds and noise.

Anyway, it's apparently still not too difficult to get a visitor badge for anyone who has even a casual connection to the industry. The key being, you need to know someone who would be ordering a badge directly from NAMM in the first place.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Fellow Drummers! Greetings and hope everyone is off to a great 2014! I'll be back at NAMM this year, selling my soul, etc.
I'm going to be tied up Saturday but would love to connect at the Ludwig booth on Friday is anyone is down.
Should be another fun year.
Anyone know of any jams/shows? Last year's Sabian Live was amazing - Chris Dave blew me away.

Still seems like more people can make Saturday than Friday so we'll stick with the original meet up time:

Saturday, 11am. Ludwig Booth.

I'll be there later on Thursday, and all day Friday and Saturday.

Ok! We'll swing by! I'm totally interested in seeing the 2015 Winnebago lineup and some new Coleman products!

Just remember to (1) wear the same thing as Vinnie again and (2) post another picture of yourself playing those cheese wheel drums. ;-)

Still seems like more people can make Saturday than Friday so we'll stick with the original meet up time:

Saturday, 11am. Ludwig Booth.

I'll be there later on Thursday, and all day Friday and Saturday.

Saturday is good for me. That's the only day I will be there. So if 11 a.m. is good, I'll see ya there...

Okay, will be there!

Bermuda

I tried to borrow my friend's badge, but he is using it on Saturday and will be meeting up with some of his friends there. Then again, I keep hearing about how much walking is involved between parking the car, getting to the event, at the event, etc. I'm still recovering from blowing out my knees.

Here we are, enjoying Bermuda's hospitality and knowledge.

Attachments

• 2014-01-25 001.JPG
    2014-01-25 001.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 276
Good to see everyone, thanks for stopping by and hanging!

Bermuda

Sorry I missed the meet-up! The wife and I got off to a late start and by the time we arrived (before 11AM) we were starving and decided to eat at the food court in the Hilton before going into the convention center. We did catch up with Jon later, spent some time with Kevin Packard over at Pearl, and ran into my friend Greg Crane who works for Yamaha (he was bringing drums in for Sonny Emory to play in the Marriot ballroom that evening). Bob Diaz found us though.

Here's a couple of pictures of my wife with both Alan White and Bernard Purdie ;)

TBH - we were scoping out the grand piano offerings. Eventually we'd like a grand in the house, and there are amazing pianos being made in China these days. Steinway and Baldwin were not in attendance (they probably don't need to worry about sales anyway), but Yamaha and Boesendorfer are always world-class. The only problem is trying to decide if we want to spend 25K or 50K ;)

Attachments

• deb-and-alan.jpg
    deb-and-alan.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 234
  • deb-and-bernard.jpg
    deb-and-bernard.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 228
Bo; how does a drummer trick his wife into having her picture taken with White and Purdie, instead of us?!

Back