Dave Weckl

you havnt been around weckle have you, he's got a big ol head lol

Hey diz. How goes it? Just wanted to say that Weckl is not cocky. He just exudes confidence. This can be confused with cockiness. Take Care and Play On!

Despite whether or not you are a fan of Dave Weckl I wanted to post a quick review of his concert and clinic that I attended over the weekend. The show was great I caught first set and part of the second set. The first set was great, I had a great seat at the front table off to the side where I had a great view of his left hand. I was amazed just watching that hand. His ghost notes were so sweet and his singles were excecuted beautifullyl. He is amazing to watch. At the second set I move to a table close to the door so I could split a little early and got to watch his right hand. That limb is just as amazing to watch as the left. He really was amazing to watch. They did a lot of the same music second set but that is because Dave admitted they had only been playing together as a group since August. They filled a lot of time just playing some old jazz standards which was pretty cool too. Great show...worth the $30.

The clinic was a lot of fun. I would not call him the greatest clinician but he was good. He talked a lot about grip and position of the drums. I liked the fact that he stressed you should not let the drums dictate where you place them....you play the drums, don't let the drums play you. He would show excersises that only he can pull off but he did show the basics of what he was pulling off first. You know, I kind of knew I was really just going to see him play without his band which was great to see too. Not the best clinic I have attended but I did enjoy it. He was very cool afterwards and was willing to talk to everyone. I like Weckl....he is amazing to watch.

Despite whether or not you are a fan of Dave Weckl I wanted to post a quick review of his concert and clinic that I attended over the weekend. The show was great I caught first set and part of the second set. The first set was great, I had a great seat at the front table off to the side where I had a great view of his left hand. I was amazed just watching that hand. His ghost notes were so sweet and his singles were excecuted beautifullyl. He is amazing to watch. At the second set I move to a table close to the door so I could split a little early and got to watch his right hand. That limb is just as amazing to watch as the left. He really was amazing to watch. They did a lot of the same music second set but that is because Dave admitted they had only been playing together as a group since August. They filled a lot of time just playing some old jazz standards which was pretty cool too. Great show...worth the $30.

The clinic was a lot of fun. I would not call him the greatest clinician but he was good. He talked a lot about grip and position of the drums. I liked the fact that he stressed you should not let the drums dictate where you place them....you play the drums, don't let the drums play you. He would show excersises that only he can pull off but he did show the basics of what he was pulling off first. You know, I kind of knew I was really just going to see him play without his band which was great to see too. Not the best clinic I have attended but I did enjoy it. He was very cool afterwards and was willing to talk to everyone. I like Weckl....he is amazing to watch.

Great review, Mapex. I woulda' loved to have been there for that Weckl clinic and show. $30.00 for that is a steal! To see one of the top drummers do a clinic and perform is always a treat. And Weckl will never dissapoint. Thanks alot...Play On! ;-)

Last edited:
I was also fortunate enough to catch Dave weckl in Palatine IL. I would not consider it a clinic, although he did one heck of a solo in the middle of the set, it was more of concert of the whole band. They did more jazz standard than any thing, which was actually pretty incredible stuff. Dave has really grown as a jazz-fusionist. His has an unbelievable sennse of time and touch. The accenting on a variety of surfaces, weather it a drum, cymbal, or bell was unreal. His dbl strokes were just so smooth and fast. The second part of the show was more groove oriented, with a pretty awsome bass/drums solo.It's been probably ten yrs,if not longer since I've seen him,but i'm here to tell ya, the guys twice the drummer he was back then, and back THEN he was a God,now ..........there's not a word that can even desribe him.

I was also fortunate enough to catch Dave weckl in Palatine IL. I would not consider it a clinic, although he did one heck of a solo in the middle of the set, it was more of concert of the whole band. They did more jazz standard than any thing, which was actually pretty incredible stuff. Dave has really grown as a jazz-fusionist. His has an unbelievable sennse of time and touch. The accenting on a variety of surfaces, weather it a drum, cymbal, or bell was unreal. His dbl strokes were just so smooth and fast. The second part of the show was more groove oriented, with a pretty awsome bass/drums solo.It's been probably ten yrs,if not longer since I've seen him,but i'm here to tell ya, the guys twice the drummer he was back then, and back THEN he was a God,now ..........there's not a word that can even desribe him.

Thanks tb. Very detailed review and well written. Sure makes me wanna see him ASAP!
If he's twice the drummer he was, OMG! You're right. There's no word that can describe him, now. Gotta find out when he'll be around here. Thanks again...Play On! ;-)

I was extremely lucky to see Dave Weckl AND John Patitucci do a drum/bass clinic quite a few years ago. I got to meet both of them and all I can say is that the experience changed my life musically. Both Dave and John were absolutely great to talk to and answered the tons of questions I threw at them. As for the show, Dave and John are so far beyond what you actually see in their instructional videos and on CD. It's so overwhelming that they both just don't seem human when it comes to their skills as musicians. To top things off, Dave is a fantastic sound engineer and did his own P.A. mix.

I have a lot of favourite drummers but Dave Weckl and Buddy Rich top the list. I was lucky enough to see both in concert which was just icing on the cake. I can die happy now.. |O|

DaveGlen2.jpg

I'm going to see him on tuesday, really excited for that.
just wondering, does anybody know back in the day when he played zildjian what he used?

Yea, I'm going to see him on Wednesday! WOW!! I can't wait...Play On! ;-)

Well, the Weckl show was last night, and I had a FANTASTIC seat to see him in "full flight!" As you may already know, he's touring with Brian Brombergs' Downright Upright Allstars. And these guys aim to please! WOW! You talk about incredible musicians!

You have Bromberg on upright acoustic bass, who in my opinion, is one of THE best bass players in the world! BAR NONE! He left me with my jaw draggin' on the floor walkin' outta the Rams Head Tavern, in Annapolis, where they played last night.

Then you have Jeff Lorber on piano...OMG! All the accolades you've ever heard about Lorber are absolutely TRUE! The guy "diddled that ivory" like NO ONE I've ever seen, short of Keith Emerson! They call Lorber "The Godfather", and I can certaintly see and hear why!

There's Gary Meek on the tenor saxophone! I honestly haven't heard alot about Meek in the past, BUT I will definitely try to hear more of him from now on! He's a MONSTER with that sax! So quick and fluent without losing ANY musicality! I recommend anyone to check out his discography! You WON'T be dissapointed!

And, how 'bout Randy Brecker! He needs NO introduction! He's played with SO MANY of the greats, Cobham, Pastorius, Coryell, Zappa, and, of course, he was on the first Blood, Sweat, and Tears album in 1968! And everybody remembers the years with his younger brother, Michael, who we just recently lost. The Brecker Brothers were big from '75 to '82, when they split and Randy hooked up with Jaco to record and tour with his band. He reunited with Michael in 2001 to record and tour with him! It is an honor to the DUA, to have him touring with them, and it definitely showed last night. What a performance by Randy! He sounds so lively and fresh with that trumpet of his!! Ummm...Bravo!

And as far as the drummer goes...AGAIN, HE needs no intro! Dave Weckl is such an inspiration to me, and last nights' performance was absolutely NO exception! I had an incredible view of him 'cause his set was sideways to my view. I was sitting in the front of the stage only 1 table from the front row. Couldn't of asked for a better place to be at The Rams Head! Weckl's bass foot work in PERFECT syncopation with his high-hat was in full view and I was just "glued" to that sight all night! I got some really EXCELLENT video of him on my video-phone, and I've been watching it over and over again, today!

He did a brush solo near, the end of the show, that made my head spin! OMG! Can a human being really do that?!! HOLY S*#T!! If you have a chance to see Weckl on this tour, and you are a fan of drums...YOU REALLY NEED TO SEE HIM play with these guys! You'd be making a HUGE mistake not to! I HIGHLY recommend getting tickets to see the Downright Upright Allstars! What a show...Play On! ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks!!! Now you're really making me jealous!! I was going to see them tonight in Boston....However, I have a rehearsal for my church's easter concert...:-(

Been listening to a lot of Brian Bromberg lately. Don't have the new album yet...But, will soon.

Thanks!!! Now you're really making me jealous!! I was going to see them tonight in Boston....However, I have a rehearsal for my church's easter concert...:-(

Been listening to a lot of Brian Bromberg lately. Don't have the new album yet...But, will soon.

You're welcome, murph! Sorry to make ya jealous, but I'm only speaking from the heart!

That's too bad you won't see them tonight, but that church concert is more important! Good Luck with the show at Easter! ;-)

Yea, Brian Bromberg is INCREDIBLE!! Just blew me away, last night! You should pick up his new one! It's got some fantastic players on it, INCLUDING Vinnie Colaiuta! I highly recommend it! They were selling it at the show last night, so I think it's in stores! Check it out! It won't dissapoint...Play On! ;-)

Last edited:
The pantheon you don't get consists of some of the best drummers alive, not based only on their very good technical playing, but for their high demand to play for anyone.

No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock. Its really that easy.

If you have the highest technical skills possible, and can play anything, that makes you good.

Just look at Vinny Colaiuta and Steve Gadd's discography for starters.

Just watch Steve Smith, for crying out loud. If you can't see why he is on top of the drumming world, then I can't really say anything more about it.

Weckl is a matter of taste, but there is no denying his ability. And his drum sound is one of the best recorded.

Well put, he is really tight when it comes to technical skill, and he is very strong as a result. He's not at all predictable, and I don't ever recall him doing the same thing twice.

Yea, Brian Bromberg is INCREDIBLE!! Just blew me away, last night! You should pick up his new one! It's got some fantastic players on it, INCLUDING Vinnie Colaiuta! I highly recommend it! They were selling it at the show last night, so I think it's in stores! Check it out! It won't dissapoint...Play On! ;-)

yes! Bromberg really put together some amazing musicians, i just bought it, "Downright Upright", highly recommended
i may be wrong, but i believe almost all of the tracks are Vinnie Colaiuta?

yes! Bromberg really put together some amazing musicians, i just bought it, "Downright Upright", highly recommended
i may be wrong, but i believe almost all of the tracks are Vinnie Colaiuta?

Yes! ALL the drum tracks ARE Vinnie, jazzdrummer! If my memory serves me correctly. And yes, each musician is TOP NOTCH...Play On! ;-)

"No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock."

Yeah Weckl could play the notes of a punk groove, but I doubt he could get the raw and gritty vibe down. IMO he's too polished to pull it off.

Back