Speed Cobra vs Demon Drive

NeuralizerTY

Still trying to decide between the two. I like certain benefits of each including the extended longboard+heelplate of the speed cobra because I have big feet! The demon drive is so responsive and smooth. But I just don't think I get the power I want with it. But the coolest thing about the demon drive is how quickly you can convert the double into 2 singles. I normally use 2 singles with my two kick drums. That would be great for touring because I always am afraid a venue is gonna tell me, "we're just gonna mic the one kick... That's happened before and although I always bring a couple extra mics sometimes that still doesn't help. The adjustability on the Demon Drive is ridiculously as well. Between the cam position, long or shortboard, independent footboard height, and the direct link adjustment. Now, I know that if I get it, I'm just gonna set it up how I like it and leave it for the most part but I feel that with enough time just tinkering around I can get that pedal to feel PERFECT. But the Speed Cobra has such rave reviews and my friends can't stop talking about it. I mean Gavin Harrison even uses them. And he is a Sonor guy! He used Axis for the longest time and then switched to the Speed Cobra so with his power and finesse I would like to think I could also get what I want from the speed cobras as well...HELP!

Last edited:
Me personally I don't like the Demon drives, I cant seem to get any power out of them but they are fast, Mike Mangini loves them but not for me, I have speed cobras and love them, much more suited for my tastes and a company makes a direct drive conversion for them but I just don't really like direct drives, but thats me. I suggest you go play both for a while and see what you prefer.

I despise the demon drives, direct drive just isn't my thing and they feel far too light and seem a lot less customizable than the speed cobras.

I like both, but Demon Drives just dont have that heavenly floating-on-air feel speed cobras have.

Demon Drive is a very versatile pedal.
In my opinion it is the best pedal, especially if you are a double bass player. Got the double pedal as it came out, had no problems with it. Still functions like new ;)

I've had the Demon for about 6 months now. Before plunking down the $ for the Demons, I borrowed other friends pedals. I've gigged with every other DWs including the 9000 (too much mass but would be good for someone like Sasquatch), tried Tama's Iron Cobra (came in 2nd because the spring under the pedal was noisy and annoying), and Axis doubleX/As (too crudely made and not adjustable). I used to play DW 5000s.
VERDICT: I'd be kicking myself if i bought any other pedal. here are some reasons for getting them...
Yes, the Demons ARE a different animal if you are use to the feel of a chain drive pedal. The left pedal is the most responsive of any I've tried. This is due to the new trans axle. Pearl has figured out the obvious flaw in the link: at the universal joints. Beef-up the entire joint and you eliminate the obvious torque demands on the link. That's why the Demon's trans-axle joints have big, round spindles. It's all about physics, really... and I'm sure other pedals will follow suite.

Right off the bat, I found the felt beaters that come with it are the main reason some feel that they don't put enough power to the head: they are really light. I tried using the DW beaters for a few gigs but found they were too heavy. I needed enough mass and weight some where between the Demon beaters and the DW beaters. What I really like about the Demons is that I could adjust the Demons to apply more torque by putting the pedal's beater stroke arm to the outer position and use the Demon beaters. Try that with any other pedal... YOU CAN'T. This moved the rotational axis away from the drive axle. I tried putting beater weights to add mass to the Demon beaters but I think that they were made to accommodate electronic pad players (because of the added soft urethane isolation element between the felt and the beater rod). I tried another drummer's Demon that had the Demon wood beaters on them. THAT felt perfect in weight, but I didn't want the attack that the wood beater made. Maybe I am looking for a composite beater with a multi-purpose head. Maybe Pearl will have a retrofit kit when they introduce their chain drive Demons with different cam profiles. Anyone with a Demon have a similar experience? If so, did you find a suitable pedal and what are they?
p.s.-
Another reason I bought the Demons is because they can be setup to be played left footed. I sometimes use my kit with my bass drum on my left foot because I use an electronic bass trigger pad right next to my right foot. That.... and that I can get my toms lower coming off the bass drum on a rack.

Last edited:
Back