Yamaha Drums

There's a very good reason for cutting the batter side vs the reso side when reducing the depth of a kick. Someone mentioned it - its the spur mounts. When you remove them, there are large holes in the shell. If cutting the shell removes the areas with the holes, then you are ok cutting the reso side. If removing the 4" won't take you past the holes, then you have no choice but to cut the batter side.

I get you might not want to when spurs are in the way it's one opinion how they want it cut. I would just think the person cutting it would tell you what would happen and not let it be a surprise. Holes can always be filled or drilled.

Wow that sucks surprised the person cutting it did not tell you that's not what you want. I can see not thinking of it your first time but why would anyone want to cut away 4" from just the batter side of a bass drum with tom mounts.

No! You're misunderstanding me - I knew about the position of the toms beforehand. We agreed to take the 4" off the batter side , don't quite remember why right now, something to do with the spurs. It was my decision. Not a big deal. I usually use it with a single post for a one-up setup (works fine) ...or I will add two more toms on a TH945+stand for a three-up setup.

Did someone say Cherrywood? Finally got some time to take a few pics.

For those that don't know the backround story: I started putting a BCAN kit together about a year ago. I quickly found an 8, 10 and 12. I was initially going to go with a 20 and 14 birch to complete it. I didn't find anything anywhere to finish it off, so I kept my eyes open, but it went on the back-burner. I also decided I'd go with a 22" kick rather than a 20. Then recently, Bentley's Drum Shop listed some new MCA's in Cherrywood, 12 14 22. The 22 is 16x22, which just doesn't appear very often. I thought it would be great to pair the 14 and 22 in Maple with the BCAN's. So I went for them. I sold the new 12" since I didn't need 2 of them. The racks all have the Nouveau lugs, and the MCA's have Absolute lugs, so it just made sense to keep the BCAN 12", so the 3 rack toms would have the same lugs. Truthfully, I don't even notice much of a difference in the look of the lugs. It actually all blends very well.

I actually had a close call with this brand new set-up: I had a YESS tom clamp come apart (yikes)! Its strange because I discovered it just in time. When I set the kit up, I noticed a small bolt on my drum rug from my Oak kit that was there. I didn't know where it came from and I just kind of shrugged it off (stupid me). When I set the Cherry kit up I noticed that the 12" tom clamp was loose - used the same tom mount that I was using on the Oaks. I tightened it up and it seemed fine. I did put a folded towel under the tom 'just in case,' but I didn't realize that the bolt had come out of the mount. Today, I checked it when taking the pics and it was really loose. I'm thinking 'this is really strange. These don't usually loosen up like this.' Well, I put 2 + 2 together and realized that the little bolt was one of the bolts in the tom clamp and the thing was further pulling apart as I tightened it. Man, that was a close one, and on top of my brand new kick! Phew...

spleen: yeah, I think if you want a birch kick you should get that 22. I'd been looking for almost a year, before I pulled the trigger on this MCA. Nothing really came up during that time, that made me want to buy.

Bruce!!!! Those are absolutely gorgeous. And just quintessential Yamaha. Tasty tasty tasty.
It takes a great deal of patience to piece something like this together, many (like me) would give up rather quickly.
I didn't even notice the nouveau/absolute lugs until you pointed it out.
Good thing you have the mystery YESS mount bolts figured out.

I NEED a Cherry wood kit now, it's all your fault.

Bruce!!!! Those are absolutely gorgeous. And just quintessential Yamaha. Tasty tasty tasty.
It takes a great deal of patience to piece something like this together, many (like me) would give up rather quickly.
I didn't even notice the nouveau/absolute lugs until you pointed it out.
Good thing you have the mystery YESS mount bolts figured out.

I NEED a Cherry wood kit now, it's all your fault.

Thanks, Neal. Yeah my patience paid off in this case. I simply didn't find anything I was interested in, until these popped up. I sold a fair part of my RC collection over the last year, so I could stretch out a bit to other classic MIJ Yamahas. Now I have my Oaks and my own 'Absolute Hybrid,' so I feel pretty well satisfied I accomplished my goal. Finding brand new drums was the icing on the cake.

You made my day saying that you don't notice the lug difference. That's how I feel, but I was sure someone on here would say 'hey, your lugs don't match.' Its not a big difference in the look, as far as I'm concerned.

I was going to tell you that Bentley's had another Cherrywood MCA for sale on eBay, but it looks like it sold as well. There are a couple of used first gen Cherrywood BCA's on eBay and there's a new BCA, but the price is $3800. At least you have your Hip-Gigs in Cherrywood. Sorry to tempt you with another idea ;o(

Here's the new BCA:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Birc.../221388439502?pt=US_Drums&hash=item338bc77fce

Thanks, Neal. Yeah my patience paid off in this case. I simply didn't find anything I was interested in, until these popped up. I sold a fair part of my RC collection over the last year, so I could stretch out a bit to other classic MIJ Yamahas. Now I have my Oaks and my own 'Absolute Hybrid,' so I feel pretty well satisfied I accomplished my goal. Finding brand new drums was the icing on the cake.

You made my day saying that you don't notice the lug difference. That's how I feel, but I was sure someone on here would say 'hey, your lugs don't match.' Its not a big difference in the look, as far as I'm concerned.

I was going to tell you that Bentley's had another Cherrywood MCA for sale on eBay, but it looks like it sold as well. There are a couple of used first gen Cherrywood BCA's on eBay and there's a new BCA, but the price is $3800. At least you have your Hip-Gigs in Cherrywood. Sorry to tempt you with another idea ;o(

Here's the new BCA:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Birc.../221388439502?pt=US_Drums&hash=item338bc77fce

Oh dear. It's a good thing that is a 22x18 , 'cause I would be seriously considering that kit if it was a 20". But alas, like you say, I have Cherrywood Hipgigs (twice haha) and I must stay focused on a set of the new Jade Green Sparkle Maple Hybrids. I do have a set of BCA's already. Must stay strong. Must....resist....

Oh, and you're not done. :)
You need to add a 16" floor tom. OR...I think I might know where there is a (very rare) MCA Nouveau 13" diameter by 14" deep floor tom in Cherry Wood for a very good price. You will never, ever find another like it...

Neal

Last edited:

Oh dear. It's a good thing that is a 22x18 , 'cause I would be seriously considering that kit if it was a 20". But alas, like you say, I have Cherrywood Hipgigs (twice haha) and I must stay focused on a set of the new Jade Green Sparkle Maple Hybrids. I do have a set of BCA's already. Must stay strong. Must....resist....

Oh, and you're not done. :)
You need to add a 16" floor tom. OR...I think I might know where there is a (very rare) MCA Nouveau 13" diameter by 14" deep floor tom in Cherry Wood for a very good price. You will never, ever find another like it...

Neal

Yeah, come on. Stay focused. One kit at a time. Take deep breathes. Count to ten (and all that sorta stuff). Aren't you still waiting for an Oak kit, or do you have it??

I'm most certainly done (for now). I'm not a big 16" tom guy, although I have a few. Don't need one for this kit. I'm standing pat. I'd like to see what the new offerings look like, even if it means buying nothing for a year. It will be like going to drum buying rehab...for a while...

Yeah, come on. Stay focused. One kit at a time. Take deep breathes. Count to ten (and all that sorta stuff). Aren't you still waiting for an Oak kit, or do you have it??

I'm most certainly done (for now). I'm not a big 16" tom guy, although I have a few. Don't need one for this kit. I'm standing pat. I'd like to see what the new offerings look like, even if it means buying nothing for a year. It will be like going to drum buying rehab...for a while...

Cool. Yes, focus. I would do well to take the same approach as you - nothing new drum wise for a year....well, my timeframe is fall I think, we'll see. But I can still have a go at a cymbal or two :)
I hear you about 16" floor toms - I have a couple as well and I certainly don't need them on every kit.

My Oak kit is still waiting on layaway at my local dealer. Not getting them until I sell the Live Customs, which they are replacing. Been too busy to sell anything. Soon. I have three other kits that may go as well.

Neal

Ah, what a bunch of enablers you all are...just as I had hoped. ;-) So, when my wife asks, "Why the !@#$ did you buy another drum?" I'll let her know you all thought it was a fantastic idea! Maybe I'll let her know she can contact all of you to express her appreciation. ;-)

I'll plan to snag it tomorrow after I move some money around. Drum Foundry/Black Swamp Percussion is right in my backyard so I'll likely have them do the work on the depth reduction.

And yeah, the cut will come from the batter side. I won't use the tom mount (probably replace it with one of SoCalMike's plates) so no worries about tom placement. I've been using stands but I actually just got a bunch of hex rack components today and I'll be putting together a 3-sided rack for a new project that will begin gigging soon.

Bruce, those are some beautiful drums you have there! Having "come of age" musically in the late 80s, that cherry wood finish is, to me, the epitome of Yamaha at its finest. Dave and Vinnie were playing cherry wood RCs (as were some of the rich kids at my college) and I sort of dreamed of the day when I would be able to afford them. And glad you managed to avert a close-call with the tom mount--yikes! And like Neal, I didn't notice the lug differences either. Actually, this new BCA bass drum has different lugs from the Maple Customs with which it will get played (those have nouveau lugs).

Peace brothers and thanks again for "helping" me to make the call on this. ;-)

Ah, what a bunch of enablers you all are...just as I had hoped. ;-) So, when my wife asks, "Why the !@#$ did you buy another drum?" I'll let her know you all thought it was a fantastic idea! Maybe I'll let her know she can contact all of you to express her appreciation. ;-)

I'll plan to snag it tomorrow after I move some money around. Drum Foundry/Black Swamp Percussion is right in my backyard so I'll likely have them do the work on the depth reduction.

And yeah, the cut will come from the batter side. I won't use the tom mount (probably replace it with one of SoCalMike's plates) so no worries about tom placement. I've been using stands but I actually just got a bunch of hex rack components today and I'll be putting together a 3-sided rack for a new project that will begin gigging soon.

Bruce, those are some beautiful drums you have there! Having "come of age" musically in the late 80s, that cherry wood finish is, to me, the epitome of Yamaha at its finest. Dave and Vinnie were playing cherry wood RCs (as were some of the rich kids at my college) and I sort of dreamed of the day when I would be able to afford them. And glad you managed to avert a close-call with the tom mount--yikes! And like Neal, I didn't notice the lug differences either. Actually, this new BCA bass drum has different lugs from the Maple Customs with which it will get played (those have nouveau lugs).

Excellent news! Glad we could help...apologies for the difficulty with the wife. She will understand, eventually. You do need to take her out to dinner though, OK?
Please take before and after pictures of the drum. Good luck! **Exciting**

Neal

Hey lads. I hope this is not too soon after BGH posting his lovely new Cherry Wood BCA kit.
I have an opportunity to do this now, so what the hell.
I picked up my Yamaha Oak Custom orphans today - 18x14 with lift, 10x8, 13x11 . I had the T-rods for the bass drum already and they fit (correct length) this bass drum, I think they look good. I tried Yamaha Vintage Maple hoops on the toms but I found they look bizarre...need the sparkly chrome with the silver sparkle. The snare is a custom 12x5.5 ...with a groove wedge (great cross stick sound), DW mag throw off + 3 pos. butt plate, and a 'Mini' logo badge.

I really don't like the Aquarian SKI I have on the bass drum right now, too dead/loss of volume. I also had a Powerstroke 4 on the snare, yuck. Took it off, ripped off the internal damping ring...that helped but still yuck. Coated Ambassador on that ASAP and a clear Powerstroke 3 on the bass drum will do the trick. The toms sound good with clear Emperors, (w/clear Amb resos). Really diggin' the look of a Fiberskyn reso bass drum head with silver sparkle. The small Yamaha logo is a peel and stick metal logo I got on eBay for $2.00.
Some pics from my basement, some from this evening's rehearsal (in a music store, what a place to rehearse!)

Neal

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,121
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:
Sold my Oaks about a month ago NICE little kit you have there almost makes me miss mine but probably just because I have not replaced them yet.

Hey lads. I hope this is not too soon after BGH posting his lovely new Cherry Wood BCA kit.
I picked up my Yamaha Oak Custom orphans today - 18x14 with lift, 10x8, 13x11 . I had the T-rods for the bass drum already and they fit (correct length) this bass drum, I think they look good. I tried Yamaha Vintage Maple hoops on the toms but I found they look bizarre...need the sparkly chrome with the silver sparkle. The snare is a custom 12x5.5 ...with a groove wedge (great cross stick sound), DW mag throw off + 3 pos. butt plate, and a 'Mini' logo badge.

I really don't like the Aquarian SKI I have on the bass drum right now, too dead/loss of volume. I also had a Powerstroke 4 on the snare, yuck. Took it off, ripped off the internal damping ring...that helped but still yuck. Coated Ambassador on that ASAP and a clear Powerstroke 3 on the bass drum will do the trick. The toms sound good with clear Emperors, (w/clear Amb resos). Really diggin' the look of a Fiberskyn reso bass drum head with silver sparkle. The small Yamaha logo is a peel and stick metal logo I got on eBay for $2.00.
Some pics from my basement, some from this evening's rehearsal (in a music store, what a place to rehearse!)

Neal

Very nice Neal! Very cool finish on these and yeah, the chrome hoops compliment the look and bring it to life. Not sure but I would imagine oak in these sizes might give you the "presence" of larger drums while making for a lighter load and smaller footprint.

I'm a sucker for Fiberskyns on the the bass drum reso as well. For bass drum batters, I've actually stopped using any of the pre-muffled heads and moved to single-ply heads with bubble wrap added through the mic porthole to taste or to best fit the room. To my ear, the drums sound more lively.

Best of luck with the new family members!

Jason

Neal,

What a great looking kit! I'm envious! Nice!

Nice kits! Any idea how I can get Yamaha bass drum t rods for my Club custom kit? That would be awesome.

EDIT - I see some on ebay, but man that's pricey. A couple hundred bucks!

You guys really put up some primo stuff. That Cherrywood finish is mighty fine.
I guess someone must have ordered that 18" silver bass drum individually. Too bad Yamaha
doesn't put out some stock sets like that. Maybe not enough demand.

I called Yamaha about those T rods for a couple reasons. I found them here: http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/ht.../Product/Model/model_e.php?model_code=MAB2018

item # 10-2, and somewhere (I forget where), I found the Yamaha price for them - Highway Robbery in the first degree.
Anyways, if you try to order them from that site, you have to put in dealer information. Also, if you look at the bottom right of the above link, under 10-2, it shows (6) directly after the number.
I thought maybe the price they're charging was for 6 of them, which would still be a little high, but reasonable for what they are. But noooooo - the price is for one.

LOL

:(

There are some things about Yamaha that tick me off royally.

Thanks guys.

I got the 16 T-rods in an eBay auction for $90, some guy had removed them from a small bass drum (an 18" maple custom I think) and sold them off. No die cast claws, just the t-rods.

The Yamaha cost for a whole assembly : T-Rod, Die cast claw, washers and clip retainer is...$27.95 each at my local dealer. Let me see....(27.95 x 16) + tax = $514.28 hahahahahahahahahahahaha - I have a set of Yamaha Jazz Rydeens that cost me less than half that!

Clearly, there are some things that Yamaha just don't want to be available for people to trick out their drums. You want those t-rods? Buy PHX, MCA or BCA. Same thing for the Aluminum Die Cast rims. I bought a replacement set for a 10" tom = $240 after tax. Insane.
At that price, those t-rods are meant for someone who lost one or somehow broke one.

Neal

....Clearly, there are some things that Yamaha just don't want to be available for people to trick out their drums....

It's more than just that. Someone posted here about getting a replacement for a worn drive shaft on a Yamaha double pedal.
After doing some checking, it turned out the price from Yamaha was over $300. Pretty sure it was at, or above, the price of the whole double pedal unit.
Needless to say - the poster chose to pass on that idea.

Thanks for the kind words. So did you buy the kick? You'll have a similar thing going on, a mix of Nouveau lugs and Absolute. I've gotten to the point that I don't even discuss my gear with the wife. She has her interests as well, so its kind of even.

Neal

Cool little kit, Neal. Its about time you picked them up :) Nice touch with the t-rods. I agree that looking for spare parts used, is the way to go. I've also bought drums just to get the hardware, and sell off the parts I don't want. But, the price has to be right to make that work. I've got the same head combo on my Oak toms. Warm, but also very pronounced. You definitely seem to have an affinity for smaller kits. Enjoy them!

probably a bit off topic, but the Club Custom that they did/do(?) looks so cool. Before I bought my current kit, I was looking tossing between that and the saturn kit I eventually bought. I love the finishes. I think I might try to replicate that paint swirl on some of my custom work.

Nice kits! Any idea how I can get Yamaha bass drum t rods for my Club custom kit? That would be awesome.

EDIT - I see some on ebay, but man that's pricey. A couple hundred bucks!

Thanks a lot!
Now you have me thinking about that for my Club Customs... But not at that price!

Thanks a lot!
Now you have me thinking about that for my Club Customs... But not at that price!

T-rods would look good on a vintage vibe kit like the Club Customs for sure.
Try to look for used sets...but wait - who says they have to be Yamaha?

These would look good : http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8500
Disclaimer: I don't know if those threads/ length fit whatever you're trying to outfit. Carefully check it out first. There are a surprising number of different threads/t-rod types/lengths that won't necessarily work with Yamaha lugs.

Neal

Back