DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 AM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 423
Default Recieved a job offer to advance career

Not drum related, but am seeking some input on a career choice.


I had an interview at a A/E firm as a Project Manager and they offered me a generous salary at 21% more than my pay now with an additional weeks vacation after some negotiating.

I am about 99% ready to make the jump but I have another prospect for a different industry (materials handling) which I currently have been in for the 4 years. They want to potentially bring me on as a solutions Integration engineer, which is a heavy CAD and R&D position.

I currently work in material handling as a project engineer, and have been trying to get into a full PM role.

I'm a little torn as to which to decide on, commit to project management or try my luck at a start up robotics company?

Thoughts?
  #2  
Old 09-05-2018, 07:45 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,245
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
Not drum related, but am seeking some input on a career choice.


I had an interview at a A/E firm as a Project Manager and they offered me a generous salary at 21% more than my pay now with an additional weeks vacation after some negotiating.

I am about 99% ready to make the jump but I have another prospect for a different industry (materials handling) which I currently have been in for the 4 years. They want to potentially bring me on as a solutions Integration engineer, which is a heavy CAD and R&D position.

I currently work in material handling as a project engineer, and have been trying to get into a full PM role.

I'm a little torn as to which to decide on, commit to project management or try my luck at a start up robotics company?

Thoughts?
Many.

Does one excite you way more than the other?

Does one have the potential to unbalance your work/life equilibrium for the worse?

Is there a location move required?

Where do you prefer to think of yourself in 5, 10, 20 years?

Which one sounds more like you?
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
  #3  
Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 AM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 423
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Many.

Does one excite you way more than the other?

Does one have the potential to unbalance your work/life equilibrium for the worse?

Is there a location move required?

Where do you prefer to think of yourself in 5, 10, 20 years?

Which one sounds more like you?
Definitely the project manager position. It'll lead me to higher levels such as director and other senior positions.

However, robots are the future.
  #4  
Old 09-05-2018, 10:48 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,978
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Robots have been the future for a long time.

The PM skills and experience will be transferable to different industries should the need arise.

Take the money out of the equation...which one would you regret not taking?
__________________
  #5  
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Push pull stroke Push pull stroke is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,494
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Normally Id say the biggest factor is liking your boss, co-workers, and so on, followed by work-life balance. In this case, though, Id take a look at long-term success of the companies as well. And Id follow your heart too, most of all, unless your heart is usually bad at predicting your future happiness and you have kids to support.

And I agree with taking money out of the equation for a second, to help get a different take on it. Get everything else straight, as long as theres a living wage at both. THEN think about money.
  #6  
Old 09-05-2018, 01:55 PM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 2,916
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Do the one you'd do if no one would pay you-cause you love the work and excited about the challenge. See you work everyday, but you only get paid weekly, biweekly, or monthly. The work stays with you longer the money flitters away. Even if you had an extra two weeks of vacation-sure you'd enjoy it but you'd be wondering what went down at work and ready to get back soon enough (after awhile even paradise can seem like hell). Sometimes being all logical about decisions will just make you always wonder and second guess-I'd go with my gut and heart on this one. Sounds like both can be great opportunities. You know.
__________________
"I roll to the tune of a different drummer ;) "
  #7  
Old 09-05-2018, 04:18 PM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 423
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

I decided on the PM role. Better outfits my life and where I see myself. The robotics role is a 4 year old start up where I would be the position, they hope to have that position grow but I'm not sure I want to try. I have a baby on the way and the position is further of a commute.
  #8  
Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 PM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 423
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

I forgot to mention. The competitor to my current company is seeking me out for an opportunity.

I am meeting them for lunch tomorrow to discuss a position.

I would like to see if maybe they offer me a great salary and benefits package, maybe some commission as well.

Being that it is in the same industry I am in now, I already am aware of the headaches. Should I consider staying in the industry of material handling if they offer a decent salary and maybe a similar title to project manager? Career growth is an unknown because I would be creating a position with them.

Or should I stay with the new A/E firm as the project manager which shows a career growth within the company?
  #9  
Old 09-06-2018, 07:38 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,320
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Well, none of us are you, so we can't know how you feel about it.

Which job makes you see yourself wanting to get out of bed in the morning and say "I can't wait to get going today!"

vs

which job do you see yourself hitting the snooze button, and looking forward to Friday night?



When you're 80, sitting in a rocking chair, which job will you wish you had taken?

Which job will allow to be your authentic self?

Many people have great paying careers, but are miserable, alienated from their family and die regretfully that they spent too much time in the office and not enough time with family. How does that play into this for you?

Happiness is your key.
  #10  
Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 PM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 423
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Well, none of us are you, so we can't know how you feel about it.

Which job makes you see yourself wanting to get out of bed in the morning and say "I can't wait to get going today!"

vs

which job do you see yourself hitting the snooze button, and looking forward to Friday night?



When you're 80, sitting in a rocking chair, which job will you wish you had taken?

Which job will allow to be your authentic self?

Many people have great paying careers, but are miserable, alienated from their family and die regretfully that they spent too much time in the office and not enough time with family. How does that play into this for you?

Happiness is your key.
As I read this, I am currently assembling a proposal for a client. They are utilizing 24 different elevation profile types. (2-5 is standard) Which is now making this proposal about 100 pages long become of the extensive bill of materials.

That said, the A/E project management job will allow me 1) no create these excessive proposals and BOMs 2) I will have a team of designers, drafters, estimators, and people to assemble proposals, and 3) I will be managing job sites, I can;t manage a job if I in the office doing all this clerical work.

I pick the latter.
  #11  
Old 09-06-2018, 08:30 PM
ncc's Avatar
ncc ncc is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sacramento, California USA
Posts: 528
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

food for thought: don't forget to ask for/about stock options as part of both your initial package as well as future compensation. Especially if you are looking at a startup.
  #12  
Old 09-07-2018, 04:26 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,174
Default Re: Recieved a job offer to advance career

Good luck with your search. Hope you find what you are looking for. Job changes are difficult.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com