Took my drums for a walk - Yamaha beech with zildjian plates

MadJazz

Silver Member
Sun was shining today so I took my drums outside.

It's a Yamaha beech custom which isn't produced anymore. The snare is maple custom absolute. I think the absolute lugs are a step backwards since they don't allow to finger tighten the head, which is essential for tuning.
I'd like a smaller snare and smaller kick though.

Cymbals are all zildjians.
The ride is a vintage avedis with hollow logo.
The crash is a very thin K custom fast crash. Too light if you ask me, even though I like low volume. I want to replace it with an A custom crash.
Hats and china are K brilliant. Too bad Zildjian doesn't sell them anymore since the brilliant finish "sweetens" the tone. I'm looking for smaller hats but the china is just amazing: sweet, dark and light.

I'm not gonna go into details with hardware, safe that imo it's essential to have sturdy but smooth pedals, as pedals greatly influence control. That's why I invested in iron cobra HH and kick pedals, although I rarely use the second kick pedal.
Btw, the hardware is the only stuff I bought new (and the crash as well).

Attachments

• DSC02430 (Small).JPG
    DSC02430 (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,663
  • DSC02406 (Small).JPG
    DSC02406 (Small).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,561
  • DSC02424 (Small).JPG
    DSC02424 (Small).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 5,465
  • DSC02422 (Small).JPG
    DSC02422 (Small).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,293
  • DSC02393 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02393 (Medium).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,931
  • DSC02369 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02369 (Medium).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,682
Last edited:
Very nice kit, looks to be in GREAT condition! Love the color!

Where do you put the ride cymbal when you set up the 12" and the 16"? Just wondering if that is an issue. I noticed you put the 10" on a stand so you could get the ride cymbal really close.

Regards,

Alex

loved the kit, loved the colour... what kind of cases are those?

Where do you put the ride cymbal when you set up the 12" and the 16"? Just wondering if that is an issue. I noticed you put the 10" on a stand so you could get the ride cymbal really close.

The ride goes always on the same spot. I used to play 12 up 14-16 down but I can do the same stuff with just two toms and I feel 12 & 16 are too clumsy.

The rack tom goes on a stand for a second reason: to keep the kick unencumbered. The kick is lifted from the ground and only the pedal touches the ground.

loved the kit, loved the colour... what kind of cases are those?

You'll never guess: Stagg. They do the job for half the price of regular brands.

Good god... Memoriesss

I had that kit in that colour to (8, 10, 15, 22) It was kickin. The colour is beuatiful to!

The hue looks bright because of the sunlight. Inside, they're as dark as the first picture.

I didn't know beech custom came in 15". Why did you sell them. What heads did you use? Any tuning tips for achieving a fat pitch bend?

Here are a couple pics from the guy I bought it from. They don't show the grain or color very well though. It really is a good looking color, I wish it matched my set better!
I think I'm starting to like the sound. its my first wood shell snare, and my experience with snares is pretty narrow.

Attachments

• beech.jpg
    beech.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,399
  • beech2.jpg
    beech2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,358
I didn't know beech custom came in 15". Why did you sell them. What heads did you use? Any tuning tips for achieving a fat pitch bend?

Yes they did ;) I wanted to buy a new kit (witch I did and is by far better, but still a cool kit though ;) )

I used both Remo Pinstripes and Ambassadors on top and Ambassadors on the bottom. A Powerstroke 3 on front of the kick and a Evans Emad at kickside.

I'm curious...
How would you describe the sound qualities of the beech? How would you compare them to, say, birch and maple? I've never had the pleasure to hear beech drums...

I'm curious...
How would you describe the sound qualities of the beech? How would you compare them to, say, birch and maple? I've never had the pleasure to hear beech drums...

If we put ten maple drums next to ten birch drums and blindfolded you, would you know which is which?

The traits of heads, the room's acoustics and the diameter/depth/thickness are a much bigger factor than the wood type.

What I can tell though is that the drums sound "round" but that might be because of the coated heads and medium-thick shells. The kick sounds big but that might be because of the emad with no internal muffling. You'd probably hear more difference on the snare but my snare's not beech.

Lovely liking the colour and snare!!

Thats A lovely Kit.

I have the same one, with the 22x18 bass drum which is excellent.

I'm looking for a 16" floor tom in that colour..... You mention that you felt your 16" to be clumsy, I don't suppose per chance that you would want to part with it?!!!

I have the same kit, and I can attest that clear amb over clear amb is the best head combos for this kit imo. It allows the shell to project like it should.

Back