Building new kit from scratch (Yamaha based)

thedommer

Hi,

I'm looking to build a yamaha based kit. Im looking at basically what is in the 562:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTX562K/

Except with a bigger snare (10 or 12inch) and bigger toms (8 inch probably)... If that is going to help of course. If there is no point I will not buy bigger.

I am beginner/intermediate drummer but want a fantastic kit because this gets used in a lot of Jam sessions with stellar drummers. Was hoping to get peoples thoughts on a few things. Mainly because I don't mind piecemealing this kit to get the perfect but reasonably priced kit.

HighHat - Anyone used the one on the 502 series? From what I can tell its the exact same one used in all their higher end kits. Is there something you would recommend more?

Brain 502 vs 700: Is it worth it to jump to 700? I mostly use Superior drummer 2 right now because I am using an old TD9 brain that sounds garbage. However, I'd prefer to use the internal sounds because they seem to react a lot better than triggering a midi kit. At least with the TD-9 anyways. It's triggering is terrible. If anyone uses the 502 for midi triggering please let me know if it is no compromise.

Ride: Would getting a bigger ride feel better on an electric kit?

kik: worth upgrading or is the 562 one just fine? Another thing is this is for in a condo so keeping it slightly quieter is a bit of a plus but not that important.

All the stands that everything is mounted on: I read one review where a user complained that it as cheap and hard to customize. Would it be better to just find this stuff used somewhere else in a better quality version?

expandability: If I want to add another crash later on can I? is there any downsides?

lastly, does it all have to be yamaha. Will the brain react just fine with other companies kit pieces. I am curious because if it makes sense to get something like the snare from another company if it is better, then I will.

The goal is to buy the best kit for the mot reasonable price. Upgrading the things that make sense to upgrade because they affect playability and sound. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! I will be trying these kits out around Toronto if I can find them but a lot of places don't have these things on display.

Thanks!
Dominic

Thanks! At this point I do not have an acoustic kit so I don't think Ill save much money converting a kit. Plus I am assuming the electric kits are quieter because thats what they are designed for.

Thanks! At this point I do not have an acoustic kit so I don't think Ill save much money converting a kit. Plus I am assuming the electric kits are quieter because thats what they are designed for.

Mesh E pads are not really any more quiet than a conversion kit.

You simply change the A heads to mesh, just like (some of) the E drums use.

Since you say that many different drummers will be using this kit, the beauty of this system is that someone used to playing A drums would probably feel more comfortable with the real life sized targets. There is a lot of hate for E drums out there so a conversion kit may help win some hearts and minds :)

That said, the beauty of the factory E kit is that it's designed and calibrated to work perfectly.

Custom kits are highly personal. I recommend staying with an off-the-shelf, out-of-the-box Yamaha kit like a DTX-700 or DTX-502 (if money is tight). It will be better for the different drummers who sit-in, given your situation as described.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering the dtx562 kit for a few reasons.
1. Apparently midi is top notch. I use mostly external sounds.
2 the 700 and 900 series is due for an update so I'll wait until next gen yamaha before considering them
3 the 562 used much of the same gear from the higher end kits (some smaller pads though)
4 I can easily upgrade the snr to 10 or 12 inch at a later date and use the old snr as a low tom.
5 and of course this kit fit squarely in my price range.

The conversion stuff seems interesting but I do prefer to stick with things already tuned to that brain. Plus I don't mind the compact kit as space is a bit tight. I will consider all these other options after spending some time with the new kit. We have been using an old rented td-9 for quite some time. It sounds and plays terrible but it got the job done. Looking forward to new pads and a better hihat.

Awesome. The 15inch ride is first on my list of additions. I'll keep your integration suggestions in mind. What was wrong with the yamaha hihat stand?

Yamaha stand was fine, I have a double bass pedal and the third leg was in the way. Got a DW 3500 for $100 from GC, but turned out to be a bad choice. Just got it Monday and it started squeakin' and spring poppin' today. Maybe the higher end DW stuff is built better, but stay away from the 3500.

Thanks. Ill stick with the yamaha then. No need for double bass pedals for me. I am picking up the yamaha 9500 pedal (either direct drive or chain - haven't decided).

Back