John Blackwell

John Blackwell is my favorite drummer at the moment.

He's mine too. It's all about the pocket! I like where he plays just behind the beat. Great pocket!!

Hearing him talk is indeed exhausting. Notice how when he talks about his father, he seems to almost forget his last name- "My number one influence? My father, John....(gasp)....Blackwell, Sr." He is an excellent drummer though. And he has a mean right foot.

hahaha :D i notice that too..

so you guys suggest that his dvd are worth buying? cuz' im kinda deciding right now.. i really like his playing style..

Last edited:
I was just channel surfing and stopped on HBO's Justin Timberlake special. I see him jamming with the drummer and I'm like I know that groove...sure enough JB beatin' the crap out them. Great showman, Incredible drummer!

I was just channel surfing and stopped on HBO's Justin Timberlake special. I see him jamming with the drummer and I'm like I know that groove...sure enough JB beatin' the crap out them. Great showman, Incredible drummer!

I was surprised when i found out he drummed for JT and Prince. They arn't worthy of him! He's too damn good!

I watched that whole show on HBO the other night. Incredible live performance by the whole group. I kept joking with my wife though that if I got tickets on the opposite side of the stage from the drummer I'd be really upset... I actually downloaded that album after seeing that show. It's incredibly addictive and several of the songs got stuck in my head for days on end. I guess that's a good thing from the record company's perspective.

Oh, and for the record Prince is a musical genius and Justin Timberlake is definately a legitimate artist/performer in my opinion.

Below are the dates for John's upcoming clinic tour sponsored by Zildjian. If you are serious about your craft - irrespective of the type of music you play - and if you are available you should really see this guy play - more funk/groove than you woud have thought possible.

I'll be at the clinic in Seminole and I trsut I will see Gruntersdad there as well. Anyone else?

Paul

5/25 - Simm's Music - Columbia, SC
803/772-1185
5/27 - C&M Music - Lafayette, LA
504/468-8688
5/28 - C&M Music - Baton Rouge, LA
504/468-8688
5/29 - C&M Music - Kenner, LA
504/468-8688
5/30 - C&M Music - Hattiesburg, MS
504/468-8688
6/2 - C.A. House Music - St. Clairsville, OH
740/695-5929
6/3 - Alto Music - Middletown, NY
845/692-6922
6/5 - Seminole Music - Seminole, FL
727/391-3892

Hi

I have known about John Blackwell for a while, but only recently got to know his work / style of drumming, and i am a really big fan, i checked out the clips on this site of him, and he does have a good style.

I was wondering, does anyone know what his Sabian setup was there in the videos before he switched to Zildjian. I can see that one crash cymbal is a HHX, but no idea what it is nor size.

So if anyone knows what cymbals he had and what seizes that would be really great.

Thanks

Nathan

Wanted to update you on John's plans. As many of you know, John has just released his first solo project (www.johnblackwellproject.com) available through iTunes and www.cdbaby.com

He will also be playing various dates around the country in the Summer and Fall with Frankie Beverley and Maze!

Go check out the Cd and check out John on the road if you get the chance!

Paul

Back