Steve Hass

DrumsForHire

This is my second thread for this drummer. I'm a big fan. For some reason my first thread is gone, and another thread started by Bob is also gone. What gives?

I actually wrote Bernard and he said that there was a spammer because of an unusual amount of guest viewers. Honestly though, why would a spammer just view. Spamming is advertising, and the thread didn't have any spamming in it. The question and answer in this months Modern Drummer magazine was really great, so I think that people just googled Steve Hass, and came here.

I heard Hass will be doing another a stint with Scofield coming up. Is this true? Tour schedule anyone?

I wrote an email to Susan Scofield and the word is there are no plans for the Ray Charles Project to hit the road. She did say that if demand came back, that the band would tour with the same line up.
In the meantime, where can I find more music that Hass recorded on?

I wrote an email to Susan Scofield and the word is there are no plans for the Ray Charles Project to hit the road. She did say that if demand came back, that the band would tour with the same line up.
In the meantime, where can I find more music that Hass recorded on?

that sucks. I really thought it was his best band simply because John Scofield is a jazz/rock musician, and seeing him in one setting you're only getting a certain view of his ability. With the Ray Charles project, Scofield's entire spectrum is there, and it's real. His jazz groups can't play R+B and his R+B groups can't play jazz. Yet the group played it all.
Bring it back!

Agreed. I'll never forget this group for 2 reasons. It's the first band in Scofield's history to play his hits from jazz, boogaloo and r+b albums. Second because when they played here in Austin, Scofield completely embarassed the bass player by leaving him on stage to fix his amp after it didn't work during the opening number. The rest of the band went off stage until the problem was resolved. He seemed ticked off. Hass totally killed the gig. Left nothing to be desired in groove dept in all the styles. I loved it.

I actually wrote Bernard and he said that there was a spammer because of an unusual amount of guest viewers. Honestly though, why would a spammer just view. Spamming is advertising, and the thread didn't have any spamming in it. The question and answer in this months Modern Drummer magazine was really great, so I think that people just googled Steve Hass, and came here.

Ok to make it clear:

If you google Steve Hass Drummerworld Website comes up - NOT the forum.

When the attack came in there were 18'500 guests on the forum constantly same time for some days - and all visiting this Steve Hass Thread. My Server Experts had no other possibility to delete that thread or closing the forum for some time.

So we decided to go the easier way.

The 5 or six visitors from Modern Drummer are welcome and really no problem!!

Bernhard

well that makes sense Bernhard, thanks for clearing that up. Great website too btw. I found this forum by googling steve hass after seeing him play. Just not enough info online about this drummer. Still I can imagine several thousand hits from exposure like Modern Drummer. His myspace has well over a million. Yet only a handful of you tube videos.
His playing on manhattan transfer's "the chick corea songbook" just kills me. Musical.

Does anyone know if Hass is still teaching? I'll be in LA on business coming up.

Yes, I believe he is. Hit him up on his myspace, or via [email protected] which is the addy on his website. I can't say enough about his playing. It seems that it always feels great and he's always creative no matter what the style, and musicians rave about him.
I believe his humble personality keeps him out of the "look at me" world of videos and drum circus clinics.

So glad to see Steve Hass mentioned here. I love his playing. I've seen him with John Scofield in trio and full band. I also saw him at IMAC with Manhattan Transfer. His feel, time, chops and ability to play every style while having a voice and being creative just amazes me. I wish he would teach and do clinics more. He has so much to offer us.

I'm sitting at a little cafe in Bethesda on my laptop . Going to see Hass play tonight with Manhattan Transfer at the Strathmore. I'm pretty excited. My BF was nice enough to come with me. He's not a drummer. haha..We got up super early and took the train from NYC. Hass grooves are on their way

EDIT: It was a great show. When did Hass start playing double pedal?

Last edited:
BTW April, can you post a summarized review of what you thought about the concert?

In short, I really go to see what an amazing creative drummer has to do in order to make a great living. I think he makes a great living. lol. I've seen Steve play a few times at the old Zinc, 55 bar and with Scofield at IMAC. I know what he can do, and how he can rip. This was a different Steve Hass.
Steve was a pro. Taking chances when he could, playing perfectly solid and grooving time all night. That gig requires knowledge of quite a few different styles. He was great. The group itself being the four singers are not that great. They struggled. The pianist seemed to be playing to different beat all night. But the bass, gtr and steve were impressive flawless sidemen. I wouldn't go see this again, but it was a lesson in high level professional supportive drumming. Steve also played some tasty double pedal which I haven't seen. Thats about it. I have a few errands before seeing Billy Drummond at the vanguard tonight

thanks, I'd say your review was my experience too. Manhatan Transfer always seems to get killer players. I saw Cliff Almond and Tom Brechtlein were doing the gig sometimes. Hass does an amazing job, but seeing him with Ravi Coltrane and John Scofield were my favorite..

Damn. they're supposed to be playing in Austin with the symphony. I was planning on going, but I already saw him with Scofield 2 years ago. Doesn't sound like it's worth the 60bucks

Back