Should I contact pearl?

grahamo87

I have a pearl reference brass 14x6.5 and one of the pieces of the lugs literally snapped in half. I'll try and get a picture of it later tonight but I'm wondering if I should just contact pearl directly to see if they'll replace it or if I should just order a replacement. I have to order the full lug if I do which is $22 at my local GC. This seems like a manufacturer defect, i'll attempt to illustrate haha

p.s. if anyone has contact info for pearl, please provide. I can't find it anywhere.

Attachments

• rfb1465.jpg
    rfb1465.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 357
how old is it? if it is quite new, i would give pearl a ring and get it sorted it out.
but if it is old i would just buy a new lug

I probably bought it almost a year ago. Still doesn't seem like something that should break quite like it did. Its a very clean break and a straight line like somone just sawed the piece in half.

Try Pearl. It sounds like a defect, but it would be difficult to prove it wasn't user error (too much tension, rod too long/bottomed out). I'd guess a company the size of Pearl would rather just ship a lug than argue about it, and have an angry consumer badmouthing their service.

I have a reference kit, and I was under the impression it (and all reference drums) were under some sort of warranty? Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, it's always worth a shot.

I have to believe that was a bad lug/manufacturing defect. Normally, something else breaks inside the lug first. That is, if it's a good lug and it was overtensioned, either the threading strips out, or the retaining block breaks because they are not as strong as the lug itself.

Pearl has always seemed to me to be the very best in customer service, and it never hurts to ask. IMO...just a guess...they will ship you a new lug...if you ask.

Amusing illustration BTW....

A few years ago I needed something from them........cam wore out on a pedal. They did not fix it...they sent me a NEW pedal. Their customer service is great. Contact their main office in Nashville.

IMO Contact them. What's the worst that can happen, they say your problem and your out the $22.00 which is what your out if you don't contact them. If I was the manufacture it would be worth the part to see why it broke. Those things are designed to take the pressure. :)

I don't see anything but a funny picture:

adjust1.gif

he he....butt....

I probably bought it almost a year ago. Still doesn't seem like something that should break quite like it did. Its a very clean break and a straight line like somone just sawed the piece in half.

Contact Gene Okamoto at Pearl in Nashville. When I worked there he was the guru about drums and hardware. Nice guy...should be willing to help you.

I don't see anything but a funny picture:

adjust1.gif

he he....butt....
Its a forum page with this info. I'm not sure what picture you got.

Tech Speak is a regular segment of the Pearl Drummers' Resources and features articles pertaining to Pearl drums and (sometimes) drumming in general. It is written by Gene Okamoto and Raymond Massey, Pearl's resident nuts and bolts guys.

Do you have his contact info?

I haven't worked at Pearl in 10+ years so I do not. But if you can find an 800 number or an email address for Pearl they might help you. I assume Gene still works at the Nashville distribution center.

finding any form of contact info for pearl is seeming to be harder than ordering the lug. Can anybody help me out with an email or phone number of any kind? Any of you Guitar Center guys?

Back