The best drum rug..

archonish

i'm looking into drum rugs and i just dont know which one to get. anybody have any strong suggestions? thanks!

I like those olefin rubber mats with short fuzzy pile. You see them a lot as doormats at public buildings. They last forever, don't cost much and transport easily. They take spikes and velcro well and protect wood floors. I use a small one, just 2 by 3 feet, because I only really need to secure my bass drum, hihat stand and percussion pedals. All my other stands just have one foot on the rug. The rug is so low-profile that it doesn't make a difference.

i use a 5x8 area rug that i got at lowes for about $35. its fairly nice and i have never had a problem big with it. it is beginning to look dirty (its beige) and smell (spilt drinks) so i might get another. id like to get a nicer classy oriental rug instead.

I use a big square of the stuff you normally have as wall-to-wall carpeting. It's great for velcro. It tends to fray a little bit at the edges, but that may not be a big issue as it'll last for years. You may be able to get this stuff secondhand (cheap or free) from offices that are moving out/renovating.

I'm using the Protection Racket Drum Rug, which is great. It's lightweight, rolls up easily and the corners don't try to roll back up when you place it on the floor. It's also black, so it doesn't stand out on a stage floor.

I used to simply use some leftover carpet I got for a few bucks, which worked fine enough, but this time I decided to spend the extra bucks on a "proper" rug, and it really was a good investment.

im using some old as rug made from as far as i can tell is like strips of materiel weaved together. its strong, low profile and the spurs doesn't leave marks in it. the only down side is... IT SO HEAVY!

not long ago i played a gig at a mates party and i forgot my rig.. (BOO1 me) so i ended up setting up on a giant flat foam clown. was hilarious. but left a little to much moment for the kick pedal.. i was worried it would damage the hoop on the bass drum from it moving up and down because it was so foamy.

any way.. i don't think rugs make a huge difference do they? please correct me if im wrong?

any way.. i don't think rugs make a huge difference do they? please correct me if im wrong?

I use mine for two reasons, and it definitely makes a huge difference for me:

1: It stops my stuff sliding around on slippery stage floors
2: It's tape-marked, so wherever I set up my kit I know exactly where to place all my hardware.

See the link in my signature for some pictures of my rug in action, tape marks and all.

Last edited:
I bought a 6x9 area rug at walmart for $25 that's not real heavy, transports easily, didn't break the bank and well it just works. For me being able to have everything including my throne sit on the carpet is important.

Apart from the Protection Racket rug, which is nice, stay away from "drum rugs"--all that I have seen are too thin to do the job. They are also stupid expensive compared to an area rug or a carpet remnant.

Last summer my kid did a multiple-band gig. The drummer before him had a "drum rug" with a bass drum stopper. Well, his bass drum didn't move but the rest of it ended up bunched up under his kit.

Besides, a nice fake oriental looks cool:

IMG_2113a.jpg

I went to home depot, and found a large area rug for 10$, nothing fancy but works great, protects the bass and stuff doesn't slide around. Look on craislist as well for a large area rug, you can spend tons on a nice one, but why, its gonna get beat up anyways, so save some money for better stuff, like sticks, cymbals, etc....

I purchased a oriental rug on the internet. Looks good; works great. It's 5x8 and is a perfect size for my kit.

Attachments

• resampled from behind.jpg
    resampled from behind.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 38,848
if you're just looking to stop your bass drum from getting away from you, I have something better than a rug:

get a rope, it doesn't need to be a very thick one, more like a string. tie a loop on each end of the rope. then hook the loops onto the spurs of your bass drum and wrap the rope around your throne.

there's no chance of your bass drum getting away, and it's much easier to carry around a little piece of rope than a drum rug or a cinder block.

I use mine for two reasons, and it definitely makes a huige difference for me:

1: It stops my stuff sliding around on slippery stage floors
2: It's tape-marked, so wherever I set up my kit I know exactly where to place all my hardware.

See the link in my signature for some pictures of my rug in action, tape marks and all.

oh i more ment for sound.. like does it really matter what kind of rug you have?
but yea all good.. i get why they are there... but what its made of? does that matter to the sound? and how?

if you're just looking to stop your bass drum from getting away from you, I have something better than a rug:

get a rope, it doesn't need to be a very thick one, more like a string. tie a loop on each end of the rope. then hook the loops onto the spurs of your bass drum and wrap the rope around your throne.

there's no chance of your bass drum getting away, and it's much easier to carry around a little piece of rope than a drum rug or a cinder block.

Yeah, I have actually played on kit the had this done and it was extremely uncomfortable due to the fact that it centers your body behind the bass drum instead of your body being centered behingd the snare drum. The result is you having to twist your waist in a way that you will pay for not much later.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

oh i more ment for sound.. like does it really matter what kind of rug you have?
but yea all good.. i get why they are there... but what its made of? does that matter to the sound? and how?

No, a rug won't have an impact on how your drums sound (unless it's several inches thick, I suppose).

Yeah, I have actually played on kit the had this done and it was extremely uncomfortable due to the fact that it centers your body behind the bass drum instead of your body being centered behingd the snare drum. The result is you having to twist your waist in a way that you will pay for not much later.

Mike

hooking twine between your throne and bass drum doesn't have to change your body-to-pedal position at all.

http://www.phatfoot.com/videos/pf-drop.html

Phat Foot solves the problem of the bass drum & high hat sliding out of place created by the force of the drummer's foot kicking the pedal. It stabilizes the movement of the bass drum/hat by harnessing and anchoring the drum seat to the drum/hat pedal which is attached to the drum/hat linking all three into one solid and complete unit. Phat Foot™ is the perfect replacement for awkward carpets, and the hazards related to using ropes or chains are eliminated.

http://www.phatfoot.com/home_pf.html

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 25,503
Back