Danny Carey

Big Evil said:
I found videos of danny carey on his website today. his smothness on schism blows me away! everything that man plays is incredable! www.dannycarey.com then enter and go to philosophy and go to education then go to cyberclinic and there is 3 videos to watch. The videos are short but very good!

uhh.. i posted that a couple days ago. look up a bit.

danny carey- tool, pigmy love circus
josh freese- a perfect circle

danny carey is the man! he's (in my opinion) one of the most talented drummers out there. his excellent 4-way coordination is unreal. sure there's fast drummers out there, but its mainly his coordination on top of speed that just make him unreal.

I like some of Tool's music, not all of it. It can be an acquired taste.

Danny is a hard hitter. He was obviously like a kid in a candy store when he played Jeff Ocheltree's Paiste Bronze kit. That was refreshing to see.

He also has a drum kit and playing concept going on, and that makes him great. Even if Tool disbanded today, Danny would be in high demand for gigs elsewhere. He isn't limited to the simple, and can deliver the power. He is not far removed from the late, great John Bonham. They seem to be a kindred spirit.

Danny rocks!

I can say with 100% accuracy that DC never played with A Perfect Circle.
Danny Carey got me into drumming, back in the day, which actually isn't all that long ago. I really love his playing- I think I've gotten over it now, but I still listen back to Aenima and lateralus especially from time to time. I am looking forward to the new album as well.

Danny Carey is awesome. In Tool, he shows he can pump it out hard (e.g. Lateralis, or Lateralus? hmm), or play a more soothing sound on the drums (e.g. Reflection). Along with Mike Portnoy, he really is a breathe of fresh air in drumming. I will admit though, Dream theater and TOOL's music does allow for much more creative drumming, than, say, to, uhhhhhh.....Green Day. But still, I hardly doubt that some one like Tre Cool (crap name as well) could be as creative as Carey or Portnoy. Here's to Danny, Portnoy, and to TOOL's new album...coming....soon...ish..maybe.

I have fallen out with Danny Carey anyway.He isn't on the new modern drummer festival dvd because he didn't want to be taped,so I hear.He was alright being taped for jeff ocheltree's video.I have liked TOOL for 10 years and the only footage of Danny playing available is 3 minutes on the ocheltree video and about 4 minutes worth on his site.Any chance of a U.K. clinic Danny????? £300 for a return flight from the good ol' U.S. of A,£100 on accommodation and you can have some dinner round mine.Whats more,you can hold the clinic in our practice room. What do ya say? 2 days out of your time to make alot of U.K. TOOL fans overwhelmingly happy. Go on,I dare you. Balls to the legal implications.

Yeah, Danny and his bandmates have always been very big on keeping themselves out of the limelight...They prefer the music be about the music, and not themselves...Though it chaps my ass that i don't have alot of video of one of my favorite drummers to watch and learn, i can't help but respect his position on this...In an indrustry where 95% of those who are in it want their faces and ego's exposed to the fullest, Danney and Tool prefer not to get caught up in that mess for the sake of not losing sight of what they are doing...

You guys say Josh Freese plays on APC albums, and I don't doubt that for a second; but looking at the liner notes to 'A Perfect Circle' I noticed the name: Tim 'Herb' Alexander (of Primus). Maybe he guested on a couple of tracks. Either way, very unconventional percussion on APC. I personally prefer Tool over APC, but both bands are excellent.

mediocrefunkybeat said:
You guys say Josh Freese plays on APC albums, and I don't doubt that for a second; but looking at the liner notes to 'A Perfect Circle' I noticed the name: Tim 'Herb' Alexander (of Primus). Maybe he guested on a couple of tracks. Either way, very unconventional percussion on APC. I personally prefer Tool over APC, but both bands are excellent.

Tim Alexander was the original drummer of APC, he played with them during their early live gigs. He left before the record was complete, and was replaced by Josh Freese. On the album he only plays on "The Hollow", which is my favourite bit of drumming on the album. No offence to Josh Freese, his stuff is great too - I just like that track more :)

i just recently got into tool a couple months ago and im completley blown away. before that i was into dream theater and i thought there were one of the most amazing thing ever(still do), but tool just takes you out somewhere far away. Danny careyy would have to be in the the top 5 rock drummers ever. right up there with peart, bonham, and moon. hes so techincal and powerfull. his drumsound that he achieved is right up there next to bonhams. His drumming sort of tells a story. he plays in a way that he will backdown and then just come in so fluently and effortles. he makes everything seem so easy in a wierd kind of way. when you listen to it you know its awsome but you cant really respect it until you try to play it.. i figure him as the john bonham of today. hes just a really powerfull player. he seems to put everything in the right place. not to flashy not to simple

anyone ever hear that song "divorced" that tool did with the melvins? it's like half of each band put together into one whole. a badass song, but an incredibly badass drum battle between dale crover and danny carey. i'd really suggest tracking that one down over any mp3 example of danny's playing (hell, two birds with one stone cuz of dale crover!)...

another aspect about his drumming that often goes overlooked is the electronic sounds he incorporates into the music. like the breakdown in the middle of "h" is a pretty good example of his tastes and independance. even better, the layering of rhythms in the intro to eulogy. yep, that's all danny (some must be drum machines or somethin tho). "hooker with a penis" is just a blast, one of the more powerful examples of his playing. the cover of led zep's "no quarter" is a good one, as well as "third eye," from aenima. too many details to really explain, but if you're familiar with him you know what i'm talking about.

as for transcriptions, check out www.mxtabs.net. most aren't entirely accurate, i can fulfill any transcribing requests you want....

Man... I'm listenting to Aenima right now, and its just truly coming home as to how precise, yet fast, this man is. God he's awesome...

There is one other "prog" drummer who I've heard that plays with as much feeling and emotion as Danny Carey, and that's Gavin Harrison. Both men nevery cease to continually amaze me. I am listening to the Volto stuff right now, and am currently in the process of picking my jaw back up off of the floor. Holy CRAP, I knew he was going to have chops, but...!!!!!!!!!

His hands are so fast...so clean.....so....so....*faints*

Man I love Danny Carey. I think he has some real cool stuff with Tool. I hope their new album comes out soon. I've been really getting into him and Tool. I like the way he has such good coordination with his double bass, but still jams on his h-hats. Him and Tool are some of the greatest things drumming has created. My favorite song of Tool's is "Prison Sex", probably.

fkleiner said:
yep, that's all danny (some must be drum machines or somethin tho).

Really? I thought that Adam was at least in there a little, doing the melody....or whatever you'd call it. ;) The thing that sounds like a duck.

Some really nice over the bar/conflicting time work there, too.

Det_Nosnip said:
Really? I thought that Adam was at least in there a little, doing the melody....or whatever you'd call it. ;) The thing that sounds like a duck.

Some really nice over the bar/conflicting time work there, too.

The thing that sounds like a duck is Maynard with a megaphone, if you listen carefully you can hear he's actually singing a sustained note the whole time and then pulling those loud notes out by pressing the megaphone button.

Adam is playing too, he's doing the:

Code:
1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a
xxxx  xxxx  xxxx

... type rhythm (can't remember if that's exactly it). He plays it on the guitar behind the bridge, if I recall. It's most certainly not all Danny.

cicatrizoo said:
I'm really suprised we haven't seen a Tool Dvd released. I hear there's one from the Lateralus Tour in the works

This has been an ongoing soap-opera of confusion since 2001. I am a member of T.A. (ToolArmy) and there has been "official" releases stating that there is going to be one, and there has been "official" releases stating that there is not going to be one. "Officially" it was supposed to be released in November in 2003, then it was said to be released in August 2004, and the latest news is......the bands management and label are not sure about releasing a DVD becuase of concerns that its not going to be profitable.

Anyways...did you get to see the Lateralus tour? There is not going to be much to show on that DVD becuase you can hardly see the band with the way the stage show was. It was all lights and digital images projected onto 3 screens with no spotlights on TOOL's members. They pretty much played in the dark, and all you could see was thier sillouettes. Why yes...the band was visual a little bit....It might not be a good thing to release onto DVD. That was a great show by the way...I loved every minute of it and saw them 3 times on that tour, but you have to admit....it might not come off well on DVD...cuz the show kinda goes against what DVD is about...(Showing the band on T.V.),,,right?

Lets just face it.....its impossible to ever guess what Tool is going to do or not going to do. In my opinon....they are not a band that cares about a DVD release or matters like that. When they create new music for another album....they will do thier parts indvidually, and when they all agree that they all like what the others have shown one-another through sent email files......then they will decide to get into the studio. Plus..every member has side projects that they appear to be very busy with. There have been "official releases" around about a new CD for the last year. Then there are "official releases" saying that now its a unsure thing.

As much as I love TOOL and Danny Carey....they are like ghost....and when they re-appear...everyone will know. Until then...we have to continue to love the stuff that they have already released. I know I am satisfied with everything they have done.......but I would love to see whats next...cuz we know its gonna be great.

i wasn't implying every sound in the intro was danny... i just mean all the percussion sounds including cymbals and pads and stuff in the beginning, then he brings in a hi hat rhythm, then brings in the bass drum, then congas, then hi hat left foot, then snare and everything else. very nice.

Back