How to clean paint off drum wrap?

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Anyone got any ideas or tips on how to remove paint from drum wrap? I just received a 3-ply Ludwig kick I bought on ebay, and discovered someone used touch-up paint on some small scratched areas. What have you used to soften/remove the paint without damaging the plastic? And what kind of plastic are Ludwig wraps made of, anyway?

I would use graffiti remover towels. They are available at some hardware stores or janitorial supply shops. If you just need a few for the project send me a pm with addy and I will hook you up.

I have the same problem too. Can anyone guide me how to remove the paint from my drums. And yes, if I try to scrap it off will it also effect the finish and make it look older?

I have the same problem too. Can anyone guide me how to remove the paint from my drums. And yes, if I try to scrap it off will it also effect the finish and make it look older?

If you scrape the paint off of a wrap then you'll most likely scratch the wrap's outer surface. This won't make it look older, just very damaged.

The advise given about seems pretty sound, so long as the chemicals in the towels are not too casutic/solventy (not that solventy is a word).

Motsenbockers graffiti remover or Tagaway.They are made as to not damage the surface ,and to just remove the paint.They even work on cars that were taged by humanoids,and just remove the graffiti,and not the paint underneath.You can then polish the wrap with Novus I,II,or III,.

Steve B

Goo-gone or Goof-off usually works. Can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, and even Walmart in the hardware section

Thanks guys for the replies. I've done a bit of research online, saw a post in car forums about this, using everything from oven cleaner to nail polish remover. Without acetone seems to be the key to not dissolving the plastic along with the paint. I was hoping to find the best thing specifically for drum wraps.

I've got Goo Gone and Goof-Off at home already. I'll try those first, check them out on a covered area just in case. If they don't work, I'll scale up from there if I need to.

What I would do is take a head of the drum and try the cleaner that you want to use on a portion of the wrap were it won't be seen if some unfortunate circumstance arises. I've seen several "mild" cleaners that actually dulled the wraps finish where it was applied.

Dennis

What I would do is take a head of the drum and try the cleaner that you want to use on a portion of the wrap were it won't be seen if some unfortunate circumstance arises. I've seen several "mild" cleaners that actually dulled the wraps finish where it was applied.

Dennis
Yes. Definitely going to try this out under a lug or someplace first. Gonna get to it this weekend. I'll post my results.

Wraps are made of mylar, vinyl, plastics, etc. all will melt, deform or dissolve in some way using any type of acetone, toluene, benzine or lacquer thinner.

If you want to remove paint from wrap use a citrus based paint remover.

Back