Homemade cymbal mount when cruising the pawn shops...

cajun voyage

I stop by my local pawn shops usually about every other week or so just to see if anything catches my eye. One thing I have noticed is that most shops have quite a few cymbals stacked up in a corner somewhere. Even the shops that don't have much drum equipment still seem to have plenty of cymbals for some reason...and for pretty good prices sometimes.

Anyway, I'm looking to add a ride and maybe a little splash if something catches my eye, so I made a little holder to use while checking them out in the store. Basically an eye-bolt, flat washer and nut. Screwed on a sleeve with felt and there you have it. I can rest a cymbal on it while I hold it and see what it truly sounds like. I just keep it in my truck's glove box and grab it when I stop by a pawn shop.

Cymbal%20mount%202_zpswkgz5mge.jpg

Cymbal%20mount%204_zpsfvkme3dt.jpg

That's brilliant! I do the same thing, pawn shops here are loaded with cymbals. And there are tons of pawn shops. I might have to make myself one of these.

Do you keep a stick in the truck too?

I cut down a broken stick I have to about 5 inches and keep that with it.

In your experience, how willing are pawn shop owners to haggle? Obviously, it'll vary from shop to shop, but generally, is it semi-expected?

Depends here. Some don't budge. If I find a piece of gear I want. I will usually start by making a reasonable offer based on their price. So for $100, I might offer $80. See where it goes from there. I've never gotten anyone to budge on a cymbal. Guitars yes. Violin no. Flute yes. All different stores. It's hit and miss really.

That is a fine piece. I have always used a second stick, tip through the hole, and one to smack with. I'm sure the felt keeps it from muting.

Brilliant!!

Going to make myself one next time I'm at the Ace hardware. What size of eye-bolt did you get?

I love pawn shops, most of the nicer gear I have was scored from a pawnshop around town, check out my Butcher Blocks in my signature link. Going to make the second payment on a 60's 400 Supraphonic this weekend. Got a great deal on it.

The real trick with getting a good price, which is completely expected at a Pawn shop, is to never throw out the first number. Young, hungry employees and crusty veterans may not fall for this. Everyone else seems to, especially the young, inexperienced newbies that are still learning the trade. Once they throw out their number you get an idea of where they need to be to make money and you go lower. Once you agree on the price (lets say $100 even) you close with "$100 out the door?" which means they'll eat the tax. This works best if you're polite and they like you, being rude or pushy doesn't get you anywhere.

The proper bolt size is M8x1.0, but I used a 5/16"x18(much easier to find) and it worked just fine, especially for a plastic sleeve. 8MM and 5/16" are damn near identical.

Tomorrow I'm going back to a pawn shop on the other side of town that had a Paiste 20" Signature precision ride for $99 bucks I saw last week. It had plenty of patina, but it wasn't key-holed or beat up and the edge looked sharp. For $100 bucks I figure I can't go wrong.

Back