Leg Strength / Heel Toe Crippling?

Kamikazee89

Heya,
I was curious what you guys do to strengthen your legs, specifically your bass drum leg. I have been playing with heel toe for probably 3-4 years and recently I started trying to play things with just heel or just toe by itself and I feel sort of crippled. It's really strange because I feel like my leg muscles just lock up for some reason when I try to do things like sixteenth note triplets and such. Any advice? Thanks!!

I just wanted to add this thought. Do you think its unrealistic to use just heel (or toe) for things like triplets? I don't want to frustrate myself with something that in the long run doesn't matter. :p

I just wanted to add this thought. Do you think its unrealistic to use just heel (or toe) for things like triplets? I don't want to frustrate myself with something that in the long run doesn't matter. :p

No it's not unrealistic or out of the norm to use Heels Up or Heels Down!
I play heels up 99% of the time... I'm sure there are some drummers here
who just use heels down & then of course those who use both.
Some players slide the ball of their foot from the center of the pedal to the front!

You use what WORKS BEST for you!!

Chazz \m/

yeah, it really doesnt matter whatever works best for you. I use all of them, heel down for softer songs, heel up for louder and faster ones, but mostly i use heel-toe alot, and if you want triplets, use heel-toe-heel like i do. It takes some practice, but it can be done. And now, i can do sextuplets now at tempos around 110 just using heel-toe, going back and forth

Thanks for the input. Any tips on strengthening each technique? I have been trying to use just one method on things I wouldn't normally when playing with a cd or something.

The only thing I can tell you is to start out Slow and take your time with
that certain part.
Some people can do things quicker than me, but I don't
give up! You too will get there! Enjoy the ride!

You can find plenty of ideas on this forum regarding practice techniques so I'll stay away from adding yet another to the mix.

However, if you want to strengthen your legs just stick to the various squats, lunges, basic strength and conditioning exercises outside of your practicing. Don't worry about trying to find "drummer specific" workouts.These will keep your legs strong and help avoid the cramping that your dealing with.

The rest will come from good practice.

For heel up.
I have heard riding a bike (stationary too) works the exact muscles you use for double bass. Heelup.

i actually suggest that you practice both footwork bro, both heel up and down, so that you can play dynamically in cases where you have to play from a song thats a bit jazzy to a song thats as heavy as metal.

and for practicing them i suggest you use the rudiments to get your foot in shape. like lets say you do singles + single paradiddles + double paradiddles + doubles on heel down slowly and then eventually make your speed up, and then do the same thing on heels up. or maybe once you get more used to the rudiments, you can even make your own rudimental practice =)

For heel up.
I have heard riding a bike (stationary too) works the exact muscles you use for double bass. Heelup.

I noticed it helps A LOT! I just got my bike back and I ride around campus here up and down hills and I noticed my general leg speed much improved. One downside is that if you tire yourself out on the bike you will probably tire yourself out for a double bass workout.

Back