DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 AM

Default First Gig Tomorrow - HELP!!

Hey guys,
ive been with this band I'm in now for around 4week now... My friends old drummer got pissy with him and quit. so now I'm his replacement. we've had like, 3 practices and i don't really think i know the songs aswell as i should (theres 5 songs, i know 4 of them enough to play them i guess, its just been hard practicing from memory, the 5th is a bit hazy in my mind)...

pre-gig practice is in around 5 hours. I've had no sleep at all. some guys are coming up from The Midlands (basically 1/3 of the way across England). I'm nervous as hell. and i don't want to...mess up.

I've recorded EP's/Albums with previous bands, but this will be my first gig i will have ever played. Does anyone have any advice as to what to do prior to the gig (and during)?

I need help guys! Save me! D:

(sorry mods, i didn't know which category this falls under - i hope this will do?)
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: First Gig Tomorrow - HELP!!

Vlad, it's your first gig. You're going to make mistakes. No drama. Just have fun.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Let your guard down a bit at the practice, stress will only make it harder to concentrate. Just have fun, play what you know, and be confident with them.

At the gig, again let down your guard, have fun, but mostly LISTEN! I know that you will obviously be listening, but I mean really lock in with your band mates and listen to what they are playing to anticipate whats coming next. Hearing is one thing, but really keen listening is the key to hearing the changes. Its almost as cool as seeing into the future, but only if you listen to whats coming.

Confusing? Yeah it's late here and I've enjoy a few Heavy Duty Homebrews!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Oh, and get some sleep! (as should I)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM

thanks guys, ill have a glass of JD tomorrow, that'll calm me down a bit... and im not gonna go to sleep :/ i probably won't get up!
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Everyone has different levels of nerves when they go on stage, I know some people who literally you cannot talk to before a gig, I on the other hand have always been very comfortable at gigs. The only thing I can suggest would be to get there a bit early and try to talk with some people, get comfortable just being at the venue and try not to put too much pressure on the actual performance. Try to think of it like you are just out getting a drink with your friends, you are gonna go play some music for a bit, and then its back to drinking with your friends. I'm not sure if people know your songs or not but as long as you stay in time usually nobody will ever know you messed up. One thing to look forward to though is usually about halfway through the first song you'll calm down and then you start to feed off the energy of being on stage.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM

You will end up making a few mistakes, but the main thing will be just to have fun with it. If you are having fun it will come through in your playing.

I was in a pretty similar situation to you last week, I had to play a gig with only about 6 hours rehersal time for 7 songs, most of them I got given on the first rehearsal. I was really nervous before hand, had a little drink, but like normal the I started the first song all the nerves went away.

Couple of things I did do was write down notes about the songs to jog my memory and how they ended on the setlist, then between songs I'd have a quick look. I'd also sing the choruses to remember how fast the songs are. I did this and didn't make any mistakes on structure, despite my nerves. Hope this helps :)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Just think simple, strait solid back beat. You know 4 tracks so just play clean and solid. Don't worry about getting fancy with what could be done on any track. Less is more.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Just relax and do some deep breathing. =)

Enjoy Your GIG :D
Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny91 View Post
Couple of things I did do was write down notes about the songs to jog my memory and how they ended on the setlist, then between songs I'd have a quick look. I'd also sing the choruses to remember how fast the songs are. I did this and didn't make any mistakes on structure, despite my nerves. Hope this helps :)
Already have done lol, Masking Taped an A4 sheet of paper to my Snare and wrote out my parts for the Verse, Chorus and Structures of the songs :) i also don't know the lyrics yet lmao, but thanks anyways man...
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNA View Post
Try to think of it like you are just out getting a drink with your friends, you are gonna go play some music for a bit, and then its back to drinking with your friends.

I'm not sure if people know your songs or not but as long as you stay in time usually nobody will ever know you messed up.
Will do man, thanks, thats a good way to think of it i guess....if only i could afford drink lmao

and yeah, a lot of people know the songs, but because the last drummer couldn't actually drum, were doing things abit heavier now considering i can.. so things may seem different anyways to them.
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

4 songs is nothing, it will be over so fast you won't know what happened. The more worked up you get, the more likely you'll screw up.

Simple and solid is better than flashy and loose. Focus on keeping good time and the changes in the songs.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 PM

get to the venue early and make sure you're nice and comfortable behind the kit- nothing worse than turning up too late and having to rush to set up and having your kit all over the place and having to constantly move things around.... maybe I'm just OCD? lol
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Don't worry about making mistakes, relax have fun. I think there a lot of people including myself who have been put in the same situation. I can tell you once you finish your songs you will be really bummed out, because can't play more. I call it a right of passage type of thing. let us know how it went, and welcome to the wonderful world of gigiing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 AM

Let us know how the gig went!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 AM

The thing that has got me through a few gigs ive played in an "on the spot" type situation is just focusing on the groove of the song, if you know the basic feel and beats, then you cant go wrong. If you try to nail all the flashy stuff then you risk flubbing up a bit more, but if you feel confident enough to pull it off and you do, then youre all good man :)

Just remember, nobody focuses on the drummer like one of us does haha
Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice :)
The gig went alright, we even got like 3 people up at the front moshing haha..
We all messed up on that song I said I would on, we all smiled at each other, then carried on... Then I really got into it on the second-to-last/last song and I forgot all about making mistakes! I also got compliments off of people after the set! :D apparently I'm much better than the last drummer (the one I replaced) and they "could feel the music more" - that's boosted my morale a bit about it all.

The worst bit was the fact I had to carry all my stuff home by myself (I walked roughly 2 mile from the train station), which I didn't even get to use!! I took all my cymbals, my Jr Cobras, a spare stand, my snare, 4 pairs of sticks and even some masking tape.......only to find out another local band who was playing that night had already got there and set up when we arrived, and their drummer brought an 8pc Pearl Forum kit with like, 11/12 cymbals (not including bells) - which included AAX's, HHX's, AA's, K Customs and A Customs (Crashes, Rides, 2 hihats, a 16" ozone, a splash, a china and crash/rides) from what I can remember :| I was more bothered about breaking something than messing up!! So I just switched a crash for my ozone and used that for most of the gig haha.. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend time messing about on the kit, listening to the cymbals, but from what I did play they surprised me in terms of sound (I usually hate Zildjians).

But anyyyways, gig went alright! Got another one this Friday, then I'm going to see The Misfits the day afterrr!!!!!!! I can't wait!

If any of you are on Facebook, add me! And like our page? It might not be your style of music, but I'm a drummer of many music tastes, and y'know, any help would go a long way...just a simple Facebook 'like :

www.facebook.com/vladthelad ---- me

www.facebook.com/strangenocturnal1 ---- band page
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Glad to hear it all went well ^_^
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM

I had the same anxiety when I replaced the drummer of the band I'm in now. I harped on every mistake I made for an entire year after shows. Then I realized that no one will no when I mess up b/c no one knows my parts.

Plus I always play drunk. It's more fun.

Good luck with your new band. If it looks like you're having fun the crowd will enjoy it more.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Dude, I had the exact same situation near enough when I joined my current band. I had four weeks to learn a thirty-five minute set, seven songs in three rehearsals. I asked for all the recordings they had before my audition and charted structure sheets out for everything and completley immersed myself in the music for as many hours possible. Even with all that prepration I was still terrified the day before the gig and there were some mistakes (including a near train wreck!) but I and the band got through it.

A year and a half on almost, we're currently recording an album and taking a break to do a small tour in Belgium starting next Thursday, so it all worked out good in the end and I'm certain it will for you too!

Hope you're well mate,

Kev
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Don't forget to wear your lucky underwear.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

I know it's scary the first time round, but to put it in perspective I'm learning a 2 hour set for a decent paying gig at the beginning of march. First rehersal was last night, so basically a month to get it down. I've no worries about it, I'm confident I can pull it off, though there will be some nerves on the night (there always are).

The key is to know that no matter what you are a musician and there isn't a train wreck you can't drag yourself out of. If everything falls apart then play on, improvise, do anything to keep the show rolling. Miss a stop and realise halfway through? Don't just fizzle out, work an awesome fill or break in and make sure the band comes with you - most of the audience won't have a clue and those that do will forget about it in no time. Besides, you can laugh about it with the band afterwards. I bet they mess up in a gig every now and then.

Glad it went well, Vlad, keep it up!