So, how frivolous is this?

so, 5000s in the same position. and DW is more reliable and a household name. id still rather have the DW over the Taye anyday. but im biased (A)

8000s are pretty much the same as a 9 but with different spring assemblies so not really a lot differnt between the two

You know, I tried the 9000 last year and just could not get into having that spring on the inside of the post. I thought that was the dumbest engineering design I've ever seen. On top of that, the 9000 footpedal is actually smoother - my foot tends to grip the raised lettering on the 5000-type pedals better.

Today I got a chance to really play my new pedals in at full volumes and I must admit, I've missed the DW feel. Even though it's not much different from the Iron Cobra Jrs., they are a bit heftier in feel, and slamming the bass drum means I can lighten up about 15% on my foot technique. And of course, did I say my hi-hat no longer bounces or travels away? That's nice.

But, when we were in Vegas, we did go into the Ferrari museum located in the Wynn hotel, and the hats were quite tempting ;)

You know, I tried the 9000 last year and just could not get into having that spring on the inside of the post. I thought that was the dumbest engineering design I've ever seen. On top of that, the 9000 footpedal is actually smoother - my foot tends to grip the raised lettering on the 5000-type pedals better.

Today I got a chance to really play my new pedals in at full volumes and I must admit, I've missed the DW feel. Even though it's not much different from the Iron Cobra Jrs., they are a bit heftier in feel, and slamming the bass drum means I can lighten up about 15% on my foot technique. And of course, did I say my hi-hat no longer bounces or travels away? That's nice.

i have noticed the footboard is a bit slippy but im fine with it and i dont notice it if im wearing shoes (that not often :p) i dont mind the springs inside the posts bot its not DWs smartest idea but im sure theyve found evidence its improved performance. but mmy hat stand is solid not going anywhere :D

DW do make great hat stands. I still have the 5000 series I bought when they were first released. It has never let me down. And at times I have had 20" hats. The spring is a little tired, but that is to be expcted after about 20 years.

Funnily though I am in the market for a new stand. The Yamaha single braced model has caught my eye. I need lighter weights to carry as I age. I am thinking of replacing all my stands with Yamaha single braced models.

Enjoy your purchase Bo.

DW do make great hat stands. I still have the 5000 series I bought when they were first released. It has never let me down. And at times I have had 20" hats. The spring is a little tired, but that is to be expcted after about 20 years.

Funnily though I am in the market for a new stand. The Yamaha single braced model has caught my eye. I need lighter weights to carry as I age. I am thinking of replacing all my stands with Yamaha single braced models.

Enjoy your purchase Bo.

Thanks Wy. Yeah, I was a big fan of the second generation Yamaha 7 series (the ones Gadd said he preferred when he first hooked up with Yamaha, but it was back in the days when double-bracing hadn't really slammed home yet. And those stands served me well for almost five years before they were replaced when I got a DW kit. Yamaha makes some very solid stuff - which makes me worry that I have those cheap-o Sound Percussion stands for my straight cymbal stands. I have a feeling those will get replaced before they give me problems....

Yeah, I've noticed that every pedal I tend to own feels just like a DW500 in the end, which for me, means it really feels like the original Camco chain-drive before DW took over production. I've even made the Trick über-expensive pedal feel like a DW5000.... And I know I probably go back and forth about the hat stand - I really dug how simple and light the single-braced Tama Stagemaster was, but I guess I'm in a "I'm tired of the hi-hat sliding away from me" mood this time around. I had debated getting the DW3500 or the DW7000 single-braced, but the 3500 seemed too thin for the money, and the 7000 wasn't that much cheaper than the 5500D and had to be ordered.

Haha! That first post made me laugh!

I have 3 of those DW3500 2 leggers, and they're sturdy.
I got the first 2 when they were still 5000TL's. They don't move either (Velcro on the plate).
They go higher and don't sway (for one of my bands, it just feels better higher for that music), and at an "average" height it's very stable even with just the 2 legs.

The 5000 IS a bit sturdier and smoother (because of the delta hinge), but carrying the thing....ugh.

DW's 7000 line stands are very sturdy and road worthy as well, but the 7000 hat stand is 25 bucks MORE than the 3500!!
It's a nice stand, but jeeze, it could at least be the same price as the 3500 being as it's a single braced stand...
The tubing is the same diam. on the 7000 and 3000 stuff, but the tilters are different (usual DW tilter on the 7000).

Have fun with the new stuff, and your shoes!

Hey Karl, so you don't have a problem with two-legged stands? I had one of those older DW5000's with only two legs and hated it. I had to tilt it slightly towards me to make it feel a little more solid on the ground. I ended up hating it and selling it because I like my hats flat. For some reason I think the two-leg is another design flaw trying to alter the rules of physics. A triangle is strongest with three points, not two legs and a pedal trying to be the third point. It's interesting to meet guys who like the two-legged stuff and make it work. I can't get it to work for me.

But yeah, I'm happy with slightly heavier stuff. One of my considerations for going this way is that my set could travel on a rolling cart semi set-up to the stage. And when I had the flat-based stands, the cymbals had to come off every time we transported that way because they'd just fall over.

I always say that you should buy the equipment that is needed for any particular job or situation. If you don't need a two legged Hi Hat stand and you believe the three legged variety fits the bill better, that's the one you should own. I purchased a DW 5500D three legged stand a few weeks ago. The store only had the two legged version in stock, so they had to order it from their DW distributor. It only took about five days, but I got what I wanted and I'm very pleased with it.

I only own one two legged stand made by Tama and it's a workhorse. The reason I have that is because it works out better using it with my double bass pedal.

Dennis

hmm my 9000 is a two leg and is has no problem with stability once the footboard is secured. reather heavy so its centre of gravity may hold it in place

I always say that you should buy the equipment that is needed for any particular job or situation. If you don't need a two legged Hi Hat stand and you believe the three legged variety fits the bill better, that's the one you should own. I purchased a DW 5500D three legged stand a few weeks ago. The store only had the two legged version in stock, so they had to order it from their DW distributor. It only took about five days, but I got what I wanted and I'm very pleased with it.

I only own one two legged stand made by Tama and it's a workhorse. The reason I have that is because it works out better using it with my double bass pedal.

Dennis

I was trying to be cool and eliminate some weight. I don't even play a double pedal. I was being stupid ;)

I had one of those older DW5000's with only two legs and hated it. I had to tilt it slightly towards me to make it feel a little more solid on the ground. I ended up hating it and selling it because I like my hats flat. For some reason I think the two-leg is another design flaw trying to alter the rules of physics. A triangle is strongest with three points, not two legs and a pedal trying to be the third point. It's interesting to meet guys who like the two-legged stuff and make it work. I can't get it to work for me.

Enjoy your new D dubs. I like the feel of mine.

I have both the 5000 and 9000 two leg HH stands.

You're also a photographer, and you also know the deal with light stands. Sometimes you have to push down on the collar to get a stand to sit right. With a two legged high hat stand, I just keep the front hinge for the foot board a little loose and put the heel of one hand on the heel plate of the foot board and push the center post collar down hard until the stand sits level and then push the spikes down. Work the pedal a few times and it's solid.

My dirty little secret is that I often prefer the feel of my 7000 single pedal with a Danmar Hard Felt to my 9000 with whatever beater. I probably need to spend some time learning how to really fine tune a 9000.

Back