Cried?

That Guy

Platinum Member
Over the years I have come to see that alot of our members are very intellectual and emotional people. Thats why I want to pose this question... Have you ever cried because of the death of one of your favorite musicians?

I have. My first was LeRoi Moore of the Dave Matthews Band.

Any others?

Well, all of those I hold dear are still alive and well. I did however shed a tear when our beloved Steve Irwin passed. He was a "Rock Star" in his own special way.

Pretty long list....

Off hand in my lifetime well following the musicians who have left a real impact and musical imprint on me: Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Claude Ranger, Chris Nelson, Al Weirtz, Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Max Roach, Steve Lacy, Glen Spearman, Michael Brecker, Dennis Irwin, Tony Reedus.... the list goes on...

Yes I have too. An honest human emotion, very mature topic. That makes men real men.

My Uncle (Nicola) was a drummer, who showed me the first bits. Had a sheer heart attack.

Bon Scott (Ronald Belford Scott) ~ AC/DC. The Tattooed Dragon, He was my inspiration to get my tattoos.

Last edited:
Pretty long list....

Off hand in my lifetime well following the musicians who have left a real impact and musical imprint on me: Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Claude Ranger, Chris Nelson, Al Weirtz, Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Max Roach, Steve Lacy, Glen Spearman, Michael Brecker, Dennis Irwin, Tony Reedus.... the list goes on...

Yes sir. For a lifetime.

Yes I have too. An honest human emotion, very mature topic. That makes men real men.

My Uncle (Nicola) was a drummer, who showed me the first bits. Had a sheer heart attack.

Bon Scott (Ronald Belford Scott) ~ AC/DC. The Tattooed Dragon, He was my inspiration to get my tattoos.

Thanks my friend. I don't expect many replies to this thread but I look forward to the ones that do. I just think its a healthy thing to talk about.

Cory, I think the question you ask is are you emotionally overwhelmed by music or musicians.

I think most of us are easily overwhelmed. I was shattered when Jaco Pastorious was karate kicked to death in a Miami club years ago. I lost not only a musician guiding light, but someone who was a neighbor & mentor of sorts and touched me in so many ways.

Crying comes easily to me, and maybe I'm being a wimp for admitting it to the online world.

In the context of music or otherwise, its not something I'm embarrassed or ashamed about. As a matter of fact I think its a sign of humanity, proof that we aren't dead on the inside.

Since am only 15, not many drummers/musicians have died in my lifetime. The only one I can think of is Chuck Chuldiner from death. I get so sad...

john_lennon_rainbow.jpg

Honestly I have never cried when a musician I like died. Bonzo was about the closest I came. Now that I think about it I have never cried over anyone's death that I did not know personally. Man I hope I can still consider myself human : )

I've never cried over the passing of a mentor, or just someone I highly respected, I guess I'm a heartless loser.. lol.

I did cry when my daughters were born, and I cried at the passing of my sister, mom and dad. My wife has made me cry a few times just by doing little things for me that shows how much she loves me.

In the movie "Forest Warrior" with Chuck Norris, there is a scene where a father thinks his little girl was blown up by eco terrorists and he breaks down while they are searching for her body, but then she shows up unharmed a few moments later, and the dad starts bawling, and, well, Yeah............. Niagra falls. I also cried when they killed Godzilla in New York..............

To be honest i have cried over the deaths of people but never anyone i don't know personally. I just have too much stuff to worry about as it is to get all sad over someone i don't even know who's died, even if they are famous.

Cory, I think the question you ask is are you emotionally overwhelmed by music or musicians.

I think most of us are easily overwhelmed. I was shattered when Jaco Pastorious was karate kicked to death in a Miami club years ago. I lost not only a musician guiding light, but someone who was a neighbor & mentor of sorts and touched me in so many ways.

Crying comes easily to me, and maybe I'm being a wimp for admitting it to the online world.

In the context of music or otherwise, its not something I'm embarrassed or ashamed about. As a matter of fact I think its a sign of humanity, proof that we aren't dead on the inside.

Ya Abe, I guess that is basically what I was asking. That is a tragic experience that you mentioned and I am too familiar with close friends dying a violent death. A close friend said something to me the other day that really shook me. He said... "It appears that we are getting to the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away." I guess its true to an extent but there is still so much that we have. LIFE is one of them. Everyday we have a chance to make decisions and do something positive. I just try my best.. lol.

There must be music for the Angels to sing. We will all remember them and be grateful for their offerings to the world. So I believe we can still cry if it helps.

I almost cried when I heard Dimebag died. And, one of my buddies almost cried when Bon Scott & John Bonham died.

Not many of my favourite musicians have died during my life. I don't think I would care much, not knowing them personally.

Back