Lars Ulrich

In my opinion lars is a dam good drummer and an great inspiration to me, he may not be the best drummer out there but i think his greatest skill to to put the right drum track to the right song.

Lars the man: From watching interviews, to the whole Napster debacle, to seeing 'Some Kind Of Monster', pretty much killed my interest in him. He's more of a business man than a musician & that darn constant gum chewing drives me nuts!

Lars the drummer: One of my influences as well, but mainly from his early work. Lars' playing peaked with ...And Justice For All (whoever mixed that album should be shot though), then declined (like the rest of the band did) after that.

i do like his drumming, could you imagine metallica any other way? he never overplays, and i always get the sense that he puts the song first.

ok im not like a lars h8r hes and alright drummer but what i find is people sayin that he is the only one for mettalica omg did none of u see the festivle cant rememeber what one it was but he was sick so jj (slipknot) filled in hello jj added more that one night that lars could eva do

dragonfire666 said:
ok im not like a lars h8r hes and alright drummer but what i find is people sayin that he is the only one for mettalica omg did none of u see the festivle cant rememeber what one it was but he was sick so jj (slipknot) filled in hello jj added more that one night that lars could eva do
Actually it sounded like crap. Ive heard the MP3 of that show. Joey was WAAAYYYY to busy for a Metallica song. Good thing he only played a couple of songs. The drum tech did the best job out of all of them.

That entire show is available on Metallica's pay site. LiveMetallica.com.

Dave Lombardo plays on 2 tracks as well. Much rather listen to him than Jordinson.

lilblakdak, ohhhhh no my friend. Joey is all over this concert. ;-)

Battery w/Dave Lombardo
The Four Horsemen w/Dave Lombardo
For Whom The Bell Tolls w/Joey Jordison
Creeping Death w/Joey Jordison
Seek And Destroy w/Joey Jordison
Fade To Black w/Flemming Larsen
Wherever I May Roam w/JoeyJordison
Last Caress w/Joey Jordison
Sad But True w/Joey Jordison
Nothing Else Matters w/Joey Jordison
Enter Sandman w/Joey Jordison

Lars Ulrich was a great drummer, and i don't have anything negative to say about him except his latest stuff really lacked creativity. ...And justice for all, Black Album and Master of Puppets were amazing and i loved his drumming on those. Master of puppets is his best drumming (the song i mean).

I still can't get over the sound of his snare on ST.ANGER.. Anyone?

woulnt call him a bad drummer, but overrated. his playing suits metallica perfect, that's good stuff. but many see him as a god, only cos they are metallica fans.

Battered Sausage said:
yea that snare was pretty rough. just sounded like a damn........what's that drum called....MAN! The drum that latin percussionists use.

rendezvous_drummer said:
yea that snare was pretty rough. just sounded like a damn........what's that drum called....MAN! The drum that latin percussionists use.

A timbale.

Although it's obvious they wanted a "raw" sound for that album, his snare sound is a little too overbearing.

Zardoz said:
...And Justice For All (whoever mixed that album should be shot though),

Are you serious? I think the bass drum on "One" is one of the best sounding rock bass drum sounds ever recorded. Compare it to Black Album....where did the bass drum go?????

Battered Sausage said:

That snare is the reason people call drums Pots and Pans

screaming muffin said:
well, say what you want but i like lars's snare on st. anger

You really do? Can I ask why? Just can't get my head or ears around it.. sounds terrible to me..

Battered Sausage said:
You really do? Can I ask why? Just can't get my head or ears around it.. sounds terrible to me..

i like it because it's original, and it gets your attention. i wouldn't want my snare to sound like that all the time, but for a song or 2 it'd be cool

i haven't heard the whole album tho. if he kept the same sound for every song... hmmm... i don't know about that...

but for st anger, the song, it sounds tougher and more raw than most badly recorded snares, at least the ones i've heard

screaming muffin said:
i like it because it's original, and it gets your attention. i wouldn't want my snare to sound like that all the time, but for a song or 2 it'd be cool

i haven't heard the whole album tho. if he kept the same sound for every song... hmmm... i don't know about that...

but for st anger, the song, it sounds tougher and more raw than most badly recorded snares, at least the ones i've heard

I'm not talking about the song St. Anger, I'm taking about the album St.Anger.. he uses that snare sound for the entire thing...
Listen to the album start to finish and you'll have a VERY different view point on the snare 'sound'..

does his job well....a good steady rock drummer...nothing too flashy....great drum sound...he wont go down as one of the greats but i like his style

Back