Memory Locks?

Devon8822

I dont really get the purpose of memory locks? I thought they were supposed to make it so you could take your hardware apart for moving, than be able to put it back together with the same settings? I just got a Gibraltar throne with a memory lock but you cant change anything unless you unlock bother the main lock and the memory lock. What is the purpose of this? Is it solely for more support, and to prevent slippage? because the the swivel top will not come off unless both locks are un-done. thanks

I dont really get the purpose of memory locks? I thought they were supposed to make it so you could take your hardware apart for moving, than be able to put it back together with the same settings? I just got a Gibraltar throne with a memory lock but you cant change anything unless you unlock bother the main lock and the memory lock. What is the purpose of this? Is it solely for more support, and to prevent slippage? because the the swivel top will not come off unless both locks are un-done. thanks

On mini cymbal booms, and most any rack bar / clamp - I have them. Love them. LOVE them. They aid my set up time, cutting it down dramatically, and let me hit the same precise set up every time.

On a throne? Really? I'd have to see it.

Unless you're doing anything more than simply lifting off the seat and folding up the base, I don't get it.

On my uber-lightweight Tama POS throne, I have a memory lock, as the seat doesn't spin but simply travels on its riser tube.

In a general sense - I love them!

-K

If you see no purpose in the memory lock, I'd simply take it off. Who needs to carry more weight than we drummers already have to carry? I take off almost all the memory locks, on my gear. To me, if it's not an asset, then it's a detriment. But to each, their own.​

Depending on the mechanism to raise or lower the throne, it might just be a secondary fail safe so the throne won't slip down. I had a throne in the sixties that did just that, slipped. It consisted of a collar that would just tighten around a tubular piece of metal that the seat was attached to. It feels as if your world is collapsing. I do use the memory locks on my stands and mounts though, especially on my tom mounts.

Dennis

If you have a smooth shaft drum throne, not threaded, I would suggest keeping the memory locks on as they help prevent the tube from slipping.

They're nice on spindle (threaded shaft) thrones too, as they can tighten-up the spindle from side-side play when extended. Also cool when you want to mess with raising your seat height as they provide the default height setting. Experimenting with lowering your seat height though requires you to use a measuring devise and remove the memory clamp.

Memory locks on stands? i don't use them as I set-up differently each time I play. With so,me rare exceptions like PEARL smooth chrome boom arms, which do need their memory locks to be used as they tend to slip easily.

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,325
I am a big fan of memory locks.
I use them on certain things that I like to have the same each time that I set up.
These things are as follows,

Throne height
Bass drum spurs
Floor tom legs
High tom mount
Hi-hat stand
Cymbal boom arms

I don't use them on straight cymbal stands because they are easy to set height on.
I sometimes raise and lower my crashes depending on the song.

In the case of that throne it is simply to lock your height in place preventing it from swiveling up or down. The seat cannot be swiveled when it is in place and tightened. If you like to be able to adjust the height at will then you may as well take it off.

I generally don't use memory locks on cymbal stands but I do use them with my rack on pretty much everything. I use the ones on my tom arms and floor tom legs too. It just makes life easier.

I have that same Gibratar seat in the pic Les posted. I have the "Softy" top, great seat.

Yeah, to adjust height, you have to loosen the lock.
Once the seat is where you want it, lock it in place. It won't swivel around while you move with the lock tightened.

I like my seat set, and to not move, so I use the lock, but if you change seat height "when you feel like it", I'd just take the lock off.

I use memory locks on my thrones. I lock it in at the height I like so that I can move it back after a student adjusts it.

Same purpose as stands really...

Back