Audition/interview etiquette help needed....

keepitgreen

I've got a dilemma... A local band here in town stopped playing earlier this year because the drummer and bass player moved away. The guitarist and singer found a new bass player, but still didn't have a drummer. So I made my move, and asked for an audition/interview. The band writes all their own stuff, sort of surf-punk-pop music. Think Reverend Horton Heat, but a little darker/heavier.... Really the kind of music that I thrive on, so I figured it was a perfect match for me. The guys are good friends of mine, I've been watching them play for a couple of years now, and I figured I'd be a great fit.

So I approached the singer (the leader/founder) and asked if I could sit down with the band and try-out... But he told me sorry, they wanted another guy, and they were just waiting for him to say yes. I said fine, and wasn't bothered at all by it. The singer told me this drummer was an old friend, he has known the guy for years and years, so they were just waiting for him to get back to them. I left it at that. I'm very good friends with all the members of the band (the music scene here is very close, we all know everybody!), and I walked away bummed out, but not unhappy...

So last night, I went to their first gig. And this is where my problem lies. They sounded great, their sound was the same as I remember it: loud, aggressive, groovy, and fun! But their new drummer was.................................. I don't know... boring? He played well enough, but he didn't really do anything other than just keep time. No fills, no changes, just start-stop. Everything very basic, simple, and straight forward. I'm not saying this was a bad thing! He kept time perfectly, and kept the band rolling through the songs. He was just..................meh... nothing more, nothing less... I kept thinking to myself "Why no fill there? Why does this sound so dry?" A couple of guys in the audience even came up to me over the course of their set, and asked me "Is that drummer even doing anything?" or "He's the most boring drummer I've ever seen..."

Anyway, sorry this is taking so long, but here's my dilemma: I want to ask the singer for an audition again. But I don't know if I should. This is a tight-knit community here, where everyone knows everyone. Also, no one here is professional, we're all just guys doing this in our spare time, as a hobby, for fun. But (said with all modesty) I feel like I could do a better job than their current guy, and thus really make that band better.

So what do you think? Do I approach them again? What's the proper etiquette here? Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks for any advice/help you may offer, all will be appreciated!

Well if you go that way you'll probably end up being friends with at least one of them. You mentioned the other drummer is an old friend, so there are probably more reasons than only his drumming.

Why not be a bit less obvious and invite the others to jam at your place just for fun. You can show them your stuff without it being an audition and you being the trouble maker. Then see what happens.

If things are as close as you say in the local scene, and you know all the guys in the band well I would say no, dont make another move.

They know you were interested in the gig. They must be pleased with the new drummer, and he plays just the way they like, or they are not pleased with him and they can give you a call.

Leave it up to them, that way you are not suggesting "I am better than what you have". In a situation where all the musicians know each other you could finish up making enemies. If he is not a good fit you will get your chance. You could always drop into a conversation, at some point, "How is the band doing at the moment?" and see what the response is.

Just ask to for a jam some day and see how it goes. They might realize that you're a better fit..

They chose him mate. It's pretty simple.

You've told them you're keen and I'm sure they'll keep it in mind if things change. But as it stands I'm gonna wager that as he was an old friend, they knew his style beforehand. Seems to me he was selected because of it (not to mention a lot of other things that aren't necessarily of a strictly musical nature). They weren't even interested in checking anybody else out. That speaks volumes to me.

If it were me, I'd leave it at that and look for a vehicle that I could be an active part of instead of skirting around the fringes of someone else's gig in the hope that they'll change their mind. And on the odd chance that does happen, you've already declared your interest and they have your number. If they were interested, I'm sure they'd call.

They chose him mate. It's pretty simple.

You've told them you're keen and I'm sure they'll keep it in mind if things change. But as it stands I'm gonna wager that as he was an old friend, they knew his style beforehand. Seems to me he was selected because of it (not to mention a lot of other things that aren't necessarily of a strictly musical nature). They weren't even interested in checking anybody else out. That speaks volumes to me.

If it were me, I'd leave it at that and look for a vehicle that I could be an active part of instead of skirting around the fringes of someone else's gig in the hope that they'll change their mind. And on the odd chance that does happen, you've already declared your interest and they have your number. If they were interested, I'm sure they'd call.

Yeah... And I know all of that, it's just frustrating because when I found out they were going to keep the band together and get a new drummer, I was really excited about getting a shot at it. Ahh well, you're right, they know that I'm still out there, maybe one day they'll give me a call...

I

I suggest that the new drummer is probably a good one. He's starting off by making sure he gets all the basics right. As he gains a deeper familiarity with the songs I expect he will be more expressive.

My 2c

I suggest that the new drummer is probably a good one. He's starting off by making sure he gets all the basics right. As he gains a deeper familiarity with the songs I expect he will be more expressive.

My 2c

That's what I was thinking as well. Then again they may be more interested in a time keeper and not a showman.

I agree with mikel and pfg. While you might have been jazzed for a chance to audition they had their mind made up. There were quite a few bands that I would have loved to play with but it never happened, just the way it goes. My gut says there is probably another band that will fit you better that you just haven't found yet.

My 2c

Thanks ALP, you're exactly right... I know that, and watching him play Saturday night, it was obvious that he was a very good drummer and was keeping the band together...

That's what I was thinking as well. Then again they may be more interested in a time keeper and not a showman.

I agree with mikel and pfg. While you might have been jazzed for a chance to audition they had their mind made up. There were quite a few bands that I would have loved to play with but it never happened, just the way it goes. My gut says there is probably another band that will fit you better that you just haven't found yet.

I talked to another musician yesterday about the show, and he said that he loved the fact that their new drummer wasn't flashy, wasn't stealing the show, just laying down good solid beats, keeping things rolling smoothly and simply... So there ya go!

Thank you all for the advice/help. It's time to let go and move on...

I talked to another musician yesterday about the show, and he said that he loved the fact that their new drummer wasn't flashy, wasn't stealing the show, just laying down good solid beats, keeping things rolling smoothly and simply... So there ya go!

So they needed someone who wouldn't steal all the girls hearts before the set even finished, eh?

ha they found their Ringo! To be sure I agree with others. Do not approach them. You made them aware and they made a choice. Bummer for you but I would let it be.

Just leave it, they've made their choice and I would go with it.

I was in a band recently and they replaced me with a drummer that was all flash and no substance. The guy couldn't hold solid time (I did a rehearsal as a stand-in bass player - I play that too) and was over-reliant on me nailing every note because he couldn't hear anybody else (and wasn't listening). I was pissed off when they took him on and then found another bass player (who was better than I was - but I'm still quite competent!). I'm a straightforward player that doesn't rely on flashy rolls around the toms and keeps good time. Musically I'm convinced that I'm a better fit but I left it. I figured that they'll find out that the other drummer is crap sooner or later.

I'm saying this because bands make choices sometimes and it's usually better just to accept them rather than to try and rock the boat. There's nothing worse than a band that is disrupted by line-up changes because of arguments. Although it doesn't sound like there would be an argument, if they're happy with their choice then leave them to it. They know you're there so if this new drummer doesn't work out then at least they might keep you in mind.

Try to find some other vehicle, as others have suggested. At least you know which instrument you want to play! I have no idea...

KIG, I understand this particular brand of disappointment. The trio band I am in now, I wanted to be the drummer for this band since 2004 basically. I got passed over twice. The 2nd time was particularly stinging, I really was disappointed that I wasn't asked, and now I had to wait who knows how long for my next chance. But the planets lined up eventually, and I got the spot I coveted in 2010. Took me almost 7 years, but I knew someday I would play in this guys band. Handle it graciously is the best thing you can do, and keep your face out there too. Out of sight, out of mind. Just remain supportive. Your next move is to sub for this guy, so you can be the next batter on deck. Batter yuk yuk. No pun intended.

The reason this guy was so "bland" may have been that it was his first show, and perhaps they didn't get enough time to get everything solid. I can speak from personal experience that when I'm not provided enough time to prepare for a gig I tend to keep things simple and straight forward. For my own good....

Or maybe that's that way he plays, and what the band wants... It's their choice in a player.

On the other hand, maybe they find out that the way this guy plays isn't what they wanted and will end up calling you a few months down the road. Been there too... more than once.

Thanks guys! I really really(!) appreciate this... I've been contemplating speaking with members of the band the past few days, and you're all very right, that would be the wrong approach.

In this small community of musicians (in a big city!), I'm one of the largest supporters of the live music scene, always making it to the few live band venues when bands have shows. So I will always be there when they play, making sure to be extremely supportive of their gigs. I'll be there, waiting in the wings, keeping my face in plain view, but I'll let them make the move to approach me. :)

As a small side bar, this is a city of roughly 3 million, but only a handful of live band venues. It's so hard to get interest in Taiwan for live music. They listen politely, but it's often more out of curiosity of foreigners playing than actual interest in the product. Then they go back to listening to their K-pop. It's maddeningly frustrating sometimes.

Remain positive at all times.

Quiet over negativity.

Never pander of course.

Stay in touch and truly wish the best for them...and be professional should they call in the future.

However...

...by your own ear you do not like the musical choices of the current decision maker in the project.

Keep that in mind if looking at membership in that project in the future.

Back