getting used to a new drum setup

lloydscoobs

After three years of only having one cymbal at home, as well as playing my ride cymbal on the left side and crash cymbal on the right when using the drum set at my school, I finally added another cymbal and switched my ride and crash... I feel like my world is ending!! hahaha I have to change alot of my sticking and it even feels uncomfortable having a cymbal near my hi hat like I have to get used to having something in my peripheral vision... anyways, it has become extremely uncomfortable. Has anyone had an experience like this, where a minor change has taken time to get used to?? And how long did it take you to adjust?!

i know the feeling. I just picked up some octabans a few weeks ago and i tried every set up thinkable to make them work..... At the moment they are just sitting in the corner, not sure if im going to go through the effort again to try and fit them in somewhere. That being said i added a remote snare a few years ago to my setup and at first it felt strange kinda the same way it did with the Octbans but after time i got used to it and cant imagine not having the little guy now. I guess what im saying is just give it sometime and see if you like it, change is good.

Why did you switch your ride and crash? If it is giving you trouble, switch it back. Peace and goodwill.

I get a new or different set up can be weird at first.

But after a while, you get use to it.

I've played on so many house kits, and sitting in on other peoples drums, and such, that now it just does not phase me anymore.

Why did you switch your ride and crash? If it is giving you trouble, switch it back. Peace and goodwill.

Someone told me that I should learn both in case I ever need to learn to sit in on someone else's set. Do you think this is a true statement?? If it's not worth it, I'd rather just go back to the old way!

It'll take a bit of time, but you'll adapt. I have had a very similar cymbal set-up basically the whole time I've been drumming, and I remember when I swapped one of my chinas and crashes around... Well like I said, it takes some time to adapt.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with learning both ways. But in all honesty, who cares? If you enjoy it one way, then stick with it.

Play whichever way feels the most natural to you. Most drummers are right handed, so most drummer put the ride on the right side. Peace and goodwill.

Someone told me that I should learn both in case I ever need to learn to sit in on someone else's set. Do you think this is a true statement?? If it's not worth it, I'd rather just go back to the old way!

You should set up how you like it.

It's YOUR drum set.

Back