Check this out- Steve Moore

He is the same guy in the yellow suit at the Wrong wedding.....remember him???

Kind of old news here. I haven't seen this clip before, but he has a famous "gold jacket" video about "drummer at the wrong gig". The general consensus is that the guy retains all the feel the songs need, and then some, plus he has his own unique visual style. If he didn't have that style, you'd never know who he is. I have to say, more power to him, because I can't fault what's coming from his drumset. I give him a ton of credit.

He's been discussed at length numerous times before.

But at least you posted a different video of him. I hadn't seen that one.

As for aspire to be, well, he gets paid to play drums for some 300 odd shows a year. That can't be all that bad.

The thing is, he gets to play that way for the rest of his life. If he drops the visuals, I don't know that he will be as sought out. Good player, no doubt, I like his feel a lot, but he has forged his own heavy burden which he will have to bear for the rest of his drumming days, like Jacob Marley's chains.

I would think it would be hard to maintain that all night.

I laugh at how over-the-top this dude is! I love it when he does some of those ridiculous tricks! I saw him have a small part in a sitcom a year or two ago, but I don't remember which show.

I think he's entertaining, kinda like a circus juggler. LOL

Steve is an acquaintance (since long before his YouTube exposure) and fellow Ludwig endorser (a deal he had before YouTube as well.) Don't know what the new vid is, but could be from his DVD, also released before his YT fame (infamy?)

I love what Steve does, and being over the top is the gag. Anyone trying to read any more into it is missing the point, and probably doesn't get how good he is at what he does. If you listened with your eyes closed, you'd never guess there were all those theatrics going on. That takes talent. Gimmick aside, he's also an accomplished drummer. And a nice guy.

Bermuda

The level of chops & sheer musical confidence needed to do that is masked by the show itself. Just that little split triplet he did at the close tells you everything you need to know. I wish I had his skills, & I'm not referring to the tricks!

Steve is an acquaintance (since long before his YouTube exposure) and fellow Ludwig endorser (a deal he had before YouTube as well.) Don't know what the new vid is, but could be from his DVD, also released before his YT fame (infamy?)

I love what Steve does, and being over the top is the gag. Anyone trying to read any more into it is missing the point, and probably doesn't get how good he is at what he does. If you listened with your eyes closed, you'd never guess there were all those theatrics going on. That takes talent. Gimmick aside, he's also an accomplished drummer. And a nice guy.

Bermuda

I see- I saw the wrong gig thread earlier and didnt make the connection when posting this link- I didnt mean to start another negative thread on him particularly although I guess that's how it cam e off. Sorry.

The guy is obviously more of a drummer than me but 300 gigs a year doing that? What kind of gigs and where? Its just so over the top that I am almost embarrassed watching him. If its really a gag then he has certainly figured something out. At least he makes his living playing.

I think he's probably the most awesome drummer I've ever seen in my life in terms of entertainment, stage presence, and character.

I would rather watch him drumming than any other drummer in existence.

I think he's insanely good.

Different people do have different perspectives on what Steve does... basically, some get it, and some don't. That's cool, I understand why some see the gag as just a gimmick, or that it somehow replaces talent, or that he's just a YouTube sensation. Well, the gag is what makes him and Rick K successful, and they do it very, very well. But the truth is, Steve is a very talented player, they work a LOT, and they have an entertaining show, even if it forever revolves around the drummer upstaging the singer and band, Heck, some artists enjoy a successful career just by changing lyrics around! :)

I've tried to incorporate some of Steve's theatrics in my playing. Nothing as over-the-top as he gets away with (IMO he's the star of that band and should be noticed!) but just a few of the stick moving in slow motion, or out of time, just to be noticed a little. Even if just one drummer in the audience notices a little something funny, it's worth it to me.

Anyway, Steve is the king of theatrics as far as I'm concerned! I imagine people said the same about Gene Krupa back in the day. He was pretty animated.

Bermuda

Back