DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-14-2018, 10:49 PM

Default DW Deep Snare: Ordering New vs Refinishing Used?

Hi guys,

Iíve been researching a deep snare addition to my DW kit. I donít have all details sorted out yet, but Iím leaning towards either a 7x14 or 8x14 wood shell. I like nice low, warm, fat tones.

My current kit is an older DW pre-Collectors (early 90s) keller shells 6 ply maple with re rings.

Finish-wise iíd like black. My current kit is gloss black wrap (piano black), but I also love the satin /matte black look and would be open to either. Iíd say #1 finish choice would be matte black and #2 would be Piano black to match my current kit.

So Iím trying to decide between ordering this new, vs finding a used one and refinishing it to the desired finish stated above. For example Iíve seen a few 7x14 Collectors maple snares out there in natural wood finish. If I went this route here are my questions: Roughly how much would it cost to refinish to either a gloss black wrap, or matte black hard satin, and who could do this in a quality that matches those finishes offered by DW?

I understand that ordering new would give me many more options to choose from. However price is a consideration. Iíd say if I can get a used collectors deep snare and have it professionally rewrapped for considerably less than buying a new DW Collectors snare of the same dimensions, Iíd likely do that.

Another consideration is the 8x14 Performance Snare in gloss black shown here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ack-finish-ply. Thing is, Iím not familiar with Performance shells as they relate to Collectors shells, in terms of their warmth. I see they are 10 ply HVX. Not sure what the standard Collectors snare ply & orientation are (I know you can customize this). Not sure how warm these Performace snares sound.

Would appreciate any feedback here from any fellow DW-ers, thanks so much!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: DW Deep Snare: Ordering New vs Refinishing Used?

I have wrappd a number of drums. Assuming that they sound good, You can have a new looking drum for under $30 with a wrap from bum wraps.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

If you can change your own heads, you can re-wrap a drum. Bum Wrap can supply any color you want---including custom colors. Their website also has instructions on how to install it.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrew View Post
I have wrappd a number of drums. Assuming that they sound good, You can have a new looking drum for under $30 with a wrap from bum wraps.
No disrespect to Bumwraps or anyone who uses their product, or products similar to it, but thats not "wrapping a drum." Thats putting a temporary dry piece of paper around a drum. Anyone can do that, but its not anywhere even close to putting on a real wrap with full glue adhesion.

OP, if you want to rewrap a natural finish DW shell and have it done how DW would do will cost you some real money. The easiest thing would likely be to send a raw DW shell to Precision and have them do everything. It will probably run you over $150 to have everything done once you factor in shipping.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
No disrespect to Bumwraps or anyone who uses their product, or products similar to it, but thats not "wrapping a drum." Thats putting a temporary dry piece of paper around a drum. Anyone can do that, but its not anywhere even close to putting on a real wrap with full glue adhesion.

OP, if you want to rewrap a natural finish DW shell and have it done how DW would do will cost you some real money. The easiest thing would likely be to send a raw DW shell to Precision and have them do everything. It will probably run you over $150 to have everything done once you factor in shipping.
Thanks Tommy, this info helps a lot. Itís definitely a pro quality wrap Iím after.

So by raw shell you mean just remove the lugs, hoops heads and t-rods etc and send it to Precision like that right? In other words I donít have to strip the original finish on my end correct? For example If the original finish is say natural satin oil, would that suffice? Also does Precision do matte black as in DWs black hard satin and is that a wrap or hard staining?

So numbers-wiseif I picked up a used Collectors 7x14 Snare in the $400 range, had it rewrapped at $150 Iím looking at sound $550. Curious what a new snare of the same ordered from DW would cost?

At any rate, the rewrap sounds definitely like something for me to consider. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Thanks Tommy, this info helps a lot. Itís definitely a pro quality wrap Iím after.

So by raw shell you mean just remove the lugs, hoops heads and t-rods etc and send it to Precision like that right? In other words I donít have to strip the original finish on my end correct? For example If the original finish is say natural satin oil, would that suffice? Also does Precision do matte black as in DWs black hard satin and is that a wrap or hard staining?

So numbers-wiseif I picked up a used Collectors 7x14 Snare in the $400 range, had it rewrapped at $150 Iím looking at sound $550. Curious what a new snare of the same ordered from DW would cost?

At any rate, the rewrap sounds definitely like something for me to consider. Thanks!
You don't have to worry about the existing finish. If the shell is wrapped already, you can either remove that wrap before sending or they'll remove it for you. They'll even remove and reinstall the hardware, but you'll be charged for that labor.

BTW, I''ve seen a Gretsch USA custom set wrapped by Precision Drum Co and you wouldn't know it's not original. You can look at their color selections online and email them for a swatch sample. They're great to work with.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
You don't have to worry about the existing finish. If the shell is wrapped already, you can either remove that wrap before sending or they'll remove it for you. They'll even remove and reinstall the hardware, but you'll be charged for that labor.

BTW, I''ve seen a Gretsch USA custom set wrapped by Precision Drum Co and you wouldn't know it's not original. You can look at their color selections online and email them for a swatch sample. They're great to work with.
Thanks that is awesome to hear! Iíll have to ask em about the matte black finish for sure.

I guess the next step would be to get more accurate price comparisons:
Get a quote for a new DW 14x7 collectors snare in matte black.
Then find one used and email Precision for an exact quote for the job.

As for a guesstimate, Iím guessing $550 for the used route.
Any DW-ers have a ballpark for what this would cost new, so Iíll know roughly the price difference in both routes?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

I wouldnt spend the time or money changing the finish on a snare to match my setup. Here's a new DW Purple Heart snare that looks great and would compliment a black kit...as would a lot of nicely finished drums. You could get this one for less than $700 new. Of course you'll want to like the sound above all else.

https://reverb.com/item/7230734-dw-d...EALw_wcB&pla=1
Old 01-15-2018, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

I’ve been researching a deep snare addition to my DW kit. I don’t have all details sorted out yet, but I’m leaning towards either a 7x14 or 8x14 wood shell. I like nice low, warm, fat tones.

My current kit is an older DW pre-Collectors (early 90s) keller shells 6 ply maple with re rings.

Finish-wise i’d like black. My current kit is gloss black wrap (piano black), but I also love the satin /matte black look and would be open to either. I’d say #1 finish choice would be matte black and #2 would be Piano black to match my current kit.

So I’m trying to decide between ordering this new, vs finding a used one and refinishing it to the desired finish stated above. For example I’ve seen a few 7x14 Collectors maple snares out there in natural wood finish. If I went this route here are my questions: Roughly how much would it cost to refinish to either a gloss black wrap, or matte black hard satin, and who could do this in a quality that matches those finishes offered by DW?

I understand that ordering new would give me many more options to choose from. However price is a consideration. I’d say if I can get a used collectors deep snare and have it professionally rewrapped for considerably less than buying a new DW Collectors snare of the same dimensions, I’d likely do that.

Another consideration is the 8x14 Performance Snare in gloss black shown here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ack-finish-ply. Thing is, I’m not familiar with Performance shells as they relate to Collectors shells, in terms of their warmth. I see they are 10 ply HVX. Not sure what the standard Collectors snare ply & orientation are (I know you can customize this). Not sure how warm these Performace snares sound.

Would appreciate any feedback here from any fellow DW-ers, thanks so much!
When I re-wrapped my latest snare, an 8x14 maple, the twilight glass glitter (like a root beer sparkle) material cost $65. Taking it to my drum luthier to do the job, his job included semi-sanding the shell down so the new material would stick, then applying the new wrap, is about $50. So now the drum is worth $115 more.
If you decide to re-finish this way, figure an additional $100 for material and labor. Personally I don't see why you couldn't find a black 8x14 already made. I've seen those DW Performance 8x14 snares online for $330+, not a bad value.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Personally I don't see why you couldn't find a black 8x14 already made. I've seen those DW Performance 8x14 snares online for $330+, not a bad value.
Thank Bo, yes I was considering the 8x14 Performance in Black also. How do they fare with the collectors snares tonally? As warm sounding, or brighter?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank Bo, yes I was considering the 8x14 Performance in Black also. How do they fare with the collectors snares tonally? As warm sounding, or brighter?
Iím probably not the guy to ask. Iíve owned three DW Collectors snares and hated all of them. I kept thinking it was me, but I get my hands on Ludwigs, Pearls, Gretsch.....and I can make all of those sound good. But I played the steel version of the DW Performance 8x14 and thought it sounded great. It could be tuned to a wide range of sound and could be a main snare for slot of different music.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:42 AM
Gold Member

For a maple snare, I like the performance over the collectors. IMO, I wouldn't classify either as particularly warm, but the performance sounded more open compared with the collectors. Both drums were 6.5 in depth and maple, but I don't know the difference in ply layup between the two.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
For a maple snare, I like the performance over the collectors. IMO, I wouldn't classify either as particularly warm, but the performance sounded more open compared with the collectors. Both drums were 6.5 in depth and maple, but I don't know the difference in ply layup between the two.
Great. I wonder if the openness may have been due at least in part by the absence of re-rings on the Performance? I’d imagine with the right heads I could get that 8x14 Performsnce snare to sound nice and fat.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Great. I wonder if the openness may have been due at least in part by the absence of re-rings on the Performance? Iíd imagine with the right heads I could get that 8x14 Performsnce snare to sound nice and fat.
I don't think you'd have any trouble getting a fat sound from the 8x14 performance with the right head. The 6.5x14 I played had a ton of body to it with a one ply head, but not overly ringy or bright.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 AM

Found a Performance snare 8x14 that is exact same finish as my kit:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ack-finish-ply

$400 brand new, not too shabby.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

If you want that super-phat Don Henley Eagle's sound, I recommend a Remo coated PowerStroke 4 as your batter head. The snare side can still be the regular ol' ambassador weight snare side, and snares with 20-24 strands will work great here, and just tune it down.

Infinite phatness.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
If you want that super-phat Don Henley Eagle's sound, I recommend a Remo coated PowerStroke 4 as your batter head. The snare side can still be the regular ol' ambassador weight snare side, and snares with 20-24 strands will work great here, and just tune it down.

Infinite phatness.
Awesome, Iíll give that a try! Thank you :)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:

You don't need to send the drum away to be re-wrapped, even if you glue the wrap all round. It's easy to do as long as you can follow instructions and are patient. Matt black wrap won't be expensive either. Shouldn't cost anything close to $150. I've re-wrapped numerous kits before, all looked great and were as good as anyone paid to do it would have done.