Seven dollar hi-hat upgrade

lsits

Gold Member
Just picked these up at Guitar Center.

I'm not sure how much they affect the sound (probably not much) but the hats feel more solid and there's less of a tendency for the cymbals to move fron side to side.

I use rubber washers that look just like those. I got them from left over parts of a toilet seat kit. They work great. I don't tighten my as tight as yours looks though. I want the hats to move when I'm sloshing them.

I may have to get this. I have a no-name hi-hat stand that does the job but is just ok. THis may make it feel a little more solid.

I have used the rubber bushings on my hi-hats for a while now. While there's no real difference in sound, I find that they help to keep the top hat steady but flex when it's struck, meaning I don't have to have the clutch so loose that it's in danger of vibrating apart. (And now I'm using one with a drumkey catch anyways).

I noticed in the picture that it looks like you have the wider end of the bushing against the cymbal. I have mine so that the narrower end is against the cymbal (less touching the cymbal is better in my book).

I have never used the rubber hi-hat seat, though. I personally don't think that is going to make a lot of difference unless you're someone who splashes the hats with your foot a lot, and even then a blind A/B comparison probably wouldn't be able to discern the difference.

I noticed in the picture that it looks like you have the wider end of the bushing against the cymbal. I have mine so that the narrower end is against the cymbal (less touching the cymbal is better in my book).

I put the concave side of the rubber washer against the cymbal on the top side of the cymbal and the convex side against the bottom side. It just seemed the right thing to do when I first got them. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Back