Roger Biwandu here...

Roger Biwandu

DW PRO DRUMMER
Hi Guys,

Stoping by the GREATEST website in the world for saying hello, thanks Bernhard for having lauched this amazing tool, and also for having put my name in the "Watchlist", it's a real honor to see my name listed in "Drummerworld", so again thank you very much Bernhard.

I let a link, that the friends at HOD know already, where we can see me playing, I hope you Guys will like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yk7N4s55oQ

All right, see you around.

Cheers.

Rodge.
http://www.rogerbiwandu.com
http://www.myspace.com/rodgebiwandu

Last edited:
Welcome Rodge! I am still in Europe but its my last day. I went pretty crazy with traveling it was pretty much impossible to make it to Paris to hang. I cant wait to see you play bro and Hope all is well.
Your friend
PM

Hey Phil,

Thanks for your message Bro', I hope that all is well with you and that you had some fun in Europe.

I hope to see you soon, maybe at Namm but I'm not sure yet to going there, and I know that you're not so fan too so, maybe in NYC !!!

Warm hugs Bro'

Roger.

Hi Roger,

That's great to have some french drummer here ! that's great to have some drummers who speak french !!!!!

ou're a great inspiration for me ! I like your kind of playing !

I hope you play in Switzerland soon !

enjoy,
Matthieu

Hey Matthieu,

Thank you very much for your message, I'm glad you like my playing.

Take care.

Roger.

Hi Roger,

That's great to have some french drummer here ! that's great to have some drummers who speak french !!!!!

ou're a great inspiration for me ! I like your kind of playing !

I hope you play in Switzerland soon !

enjoy,
Matthieu

Hi Jazzsnob,

Thanks for your message man, I'm glad you love my paying.

I might be in SF next year with a great singer from Mali named Salif Keita.
I was in SF with him last summer at Yoshi's, and I was at SF Jazz Festival end of october with Zawinul Syndicate, what beautiful city !!!

All right Man, thanks.

Roger.

I love you style man. You planning on coming to San Francisco any time soon?

hi roger

i'm asking all the pros this question. i think the answers could be very instructive to many of us.
let's say there was a totally new drum rudiment that was suddenly discovered and was so totally applicable that any drummer worth their salt would quickly try to learn it, master it and use it in recordings and gigs. this hypothetical new rudiment is quite hard to play and totally unrelated to any other rudiment. it is so good that you know that the next time you sit in on a session the writer is probably going to ask you to use it somewhere in their song.
my question is: starting from scratch what would be your way of learning it?

thanks
j

hi roger

sorry to load you up with questions when you get back on the forum but here's another one...

in the August 1992 issue of modern drummer there was a great and useful article titled: THE 25 GREATEST DRUM RECORDS. because of it i bought steely dan's AJA in a time when i was almost exclusively addicted to AC/DC.
they wrote this article by researching across the industry but in particular they asked some of the top guys for their top ten selections. i'm hoping to do a similar thing here on DW and post the reults in a separate thread eventually.
So if you would be so kind please give us a list of your own top ten (perhaps your current top 10) records/albums. it would be helpful if you identified your favourite out of those and dropped in a line why it is so...but this is not totally necessary. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j

Hi Jason,

Thanks your message.

If I was young, I would jump on this new rudiment and eat it for being my own.
If this happened now, it's possible that I would not like to learn this new rudiment just because it's hip and that I have to do it for doing like everybody...
But in secret I would learn it anyway... :D

hi roger

i'm asking all the pros this question. i think the answers could be very instructive to many of us.
let's say there was a totally new drum rudiment that was suddenly discovered and was so totally applicable that any drummer worth their salt would quickly try to learn it, master it and use it in recordings and gigs. this hypothetical new rudiment is quite hard to play and totally unrelated to any other rudiment. it is so good that you know that the next time you sit in on a session the writer is probably going to ask you to use it somewhere in their song.
my question is: starting from scratch what would be your way of learning it?

thanks
j

My Top 10 no order :

1) Wynton Marsalis "Black Codes (From The Underground)"
This 5tet is just perfect, Branford, Kenny Kirkland (rip), Charnette Moffet, and "Tain" who gave a new drum standard to the jazz drumming, something between Elvin (rip) and Tony (rip), this album changed my life !!!

2) Weather Report "Hevay Weather"
The best band ever, Man, what album !!! Badrena, Jaco, Auna, and those genius Wayne and Joe with whom I play sometimes, a dream !!!

3) Allan Holdsworth "Secret"
My bible, Vinnie IS the Boss of the Boss for me, and I would pay for playing with the incredible Jimmy Johnson on bass, a genius with an incredible sens of rhythm.

4) Sting "Bring On The Night Live"
Wow, in my opinion the best band (Kenny Kirkland (rip), Branford Marsalis, Darryl Jones, Omare Hakim, Dolette McDonald and Janice Pendravis) Sting had and also his best album, it's this way that pop music should be !!!
Omar on the drums, he was a King pushing this band, so hip and funky, yeah !!!

5) Stevie Wonder "Song In The Key Of Life"
Nothing to add more than his name, and what a drummer !!!

6) Toto "Hydra"
Jeff (rip), one the reason why I'm drummer, and in this album he plays, in a song named "Mama", one of his best shuffle in my opinion !!!

7) The Police "Synchroniciy"
Another reason why I'm drummer, Stewart Copeland, I choose this album, but I could take any Police album, I just hear perfection with this band.

8) James Taylor "Hourglass"
Just so classy, I would kill for playing with James Taylor !!! The great Jimmy Johnson is on bass, the late Carlos Vega (rip) does an amazing job on drums and percussion.

9) Wayne Shorter "Speak No Evil"
Wayne is really a genius and one of my favorite composer, and here Elvin (rip) drive the band like only him can do it, classy.

10) Fishbone "Give A Monkey A Brain And He'll Swear He's The Center Of The Universe"
One of my favorite band, they can play any style and they do it incredibly well !!! Fish on drums is an alien and definitely one of my biggest influence too.

PS : quick note for saying that on my top 10, by the by, the great Branford Marsalis appears on four albums, (Sting, Wynton Marsalis, Fishbone, James Taylor), Jimmy Johnson on two (James Taylor & Allan Holdsworth), and Kenny Kirkland (rip) also on two (Wynton Marsalis & Sting).

hi roger

sorry to load you up with questions when you get back on the forum but here's another one...

in the August 1992 issue of modern drummer there was a great and useful article titled: THE 25 GREATEST DRUM RECORDS. because of it i bought steely dan's AJA in a time when i was almost exclusively addicted to AC/DC.
they wrote this article by researching across the industry but in particular they asked some of the top guys for their top ten selections. i'm hoping to do a similar thing here on DW and post the reults in a separate thread eventually.
So if you would be so kind please give us a list of your own top ten (perhaps your current top 10) records/albums. it would be helpful if you identified your favourite out of those and dropped in a line why it is so...but this is not totally necessary. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j

Last edited:
De nada Jason, and yes what Vinnie did in "Ten Summoner's Tales", it's something indeed.
But here I'm talking of the great Omar Hakim who is really not joking around on "Bring On The night Live" !!! :D

Yeah !!!

thanks roger. that's a great list. i agree with some of them and want to go and buy them. others i already have. who was drumming on stings album (no4)? was it vinnie?
if so i love the work vinnie did in ten summers tale.
j

3) Allan Holdsworth "Secret"
My bible, Vinnie IS the Boss of the Boss for me, and I would pay for playing with the incredible Jimmy Johnson on bass, a genius with an incredible sens of rhythm.

Not that's a great album. I have yet to hear such an advanced album in terms of chops and rhythm which moves me so much. On top of the terrifying musical mastery on display, it's just great music. Jimmy's bass solo on 54 Duncan Terrace is astounding. I've never heard a bass solo like it. I also think it's the best thing Vinnie's ever recorded. Good call, Roger!

James Taylor's Hourglass is also a favourite of mine. Carlos was such a beautiful drummer. That huge, boomy tom fill in Gaia - man!

Yo Steve !!!

Come on Man, thanks for your message Bro', this kind of compliment from monster player like you is ALWAYS appreciated !!!

Please, can I borrow you your incredible tecnicals skills please ? :)
Seriously !!!

Anyway, take care and I hope to meet you end of april with Derek in LA.

Thanks again for sweet message.

Rodge.

RODGE!

I signed up at Drummerworld to say..

I Love your playing.

Thanks for the inspiration brother.

Vous-etes francais? Je suis American mais Je prends Francais dans l'ecole....Je regrette si mon francais n'est pas tres bien.
Anyways (Je ne sais pas le francais equivalent) Bienvenue aux Drummerworld!

Translation:
You are French? I am American but I take French in school...I am sorry if my French isn't very good.
Anyways (I don't know the French equivalent) Welcome to Drummerwold.

Hello Drummerchick,

Your french is PERFECT !!!

Thanks for wishing me a welcome to Drummerworld.

Have fun and see you around.

PS : "anyway" in french is "peu importe" or "bref"

Vous-etes francais? Je suis American mais Je prends Francais dans l'ecole....Je regrette si mon francais n'est pas tres bien.
Anyways (Je ne sais pas le francais equivalent) Bienvenue aux Drummerworld!

Translation:
You are French? I am American but I take French in school...I am sorry if my French isn't very good.
Anyways (I don't know the French equivalent) Welcome to Drummerwold.

Roger:

Thank you so much for contributing to this forum. Your resume and humility speaks volumes about your abiity as a player and your character as a person. I wanted to say how much I appreciated yout top ten: great drummers, great performances and every one within a great song. There is no song you chose which has not been made better by a very special and musical drum performance. That is what we should all strive for.

We are privileged to have you around.

Paul

Wow Paul, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your so nice words about me, Man, really, thank you very much, I don't know stronger words for saying how I apreciate your support.

You know, it's all about music and being humble for me, I think that we just have to be sincere and let the things come...

Anyway, thank you Paul, and take care.

Roger.

Roger:

Thank you so much for contributing to this forum. Your resume and humility speaks volumes about your abiity as a player and your character as a person. I wanted to say how much I appreciated yout top ten: great drummers, great performances and every one within a great song. There is no song you chose which has not been made better by a very special and musical drum performance. That is what we should all strive for.

We are privileged to have you around.

Paul

Back