Does anyone make a "quiet" snare drum?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Let me start off by saying that I'm learning to control the volume of the snare by technique. I'm also using multi-rods at some gigs. I'm getting better at it and that's cool.

However, I'm also wondering if anyone makes a snare drum that's specifically designed to be "quieter" than most other snare drums? Has anyone heard of this?

Besides technique, what other ways are there to keep the tone of the snare drum in tact, but reduce the volume?

Thanks,

Chris

Sarge, I struggle with the same thing. I can only suggest a standard size ( 14 x 5 ) wood snare with the options of different degrees of dampening. You are on the right track with different technique and multirods , but after those options I don't think that there is really much more that you can do. Maybe even a piccalo snare might help to some degree but the nature of a shallower snare makes them higher pitched and they tend to cut more. I would try a wood snare 14 x 5 with a self dampening head and multi rods. That is what has worked the best for me. John

Don't use a metal snare for one. Use a wood snare (not a stave or heavy shell) with a muffled head + control ring, or use a wallet. If you're gonna buy a new drum look at a 13. Smaller the better but I don't really like anything smaller than 13 as a snare.

Thanks guys. I like no dampening on the snare at all, so that's something I really didn't consider. I should maybe get a thicker head or one with dampening built in (or be cool and use a wallet as suggested!)

I have two deep brass snares (Supra and Slingerland Krupa) and a maple PDP with maple hoops. The maple snare sounds awesome, but it has such a pop that it's actually louder than the metal snares! Sound like I should try dampening.

Thanks guys! I'd still love to hear about any snare that's quieter than normal. Someone should make one if they don't exist today!

Maybe just tune it lower? That would lose some of the crack.

And whatever you do, avoid fiberglass snares!

Get a snare made from a softer wood, like asian mahogany, poplar, or basswood.

Smaller diameter drums move less air, so can be considered quieter.

Make sure to tune for sensitivity at quiet dynamics.

...but, really, it's all in your technique. If you can't play quiet enough for your situation, it's not your gear's fault...

I played a C&C Player Date snare that really "sits" in the music instead of cutting through it. The snare was a 6.5X14, which makes a difference. I personally would not recommend a 13" snare, as those typically have higher frequencies than a 14", and the higher frequencies are what helps the drum cut through more.

If you didn't go with a C&C, I would suggest a vintage drum with rounded edges, preferably one made from mahogany.

Play with a sock instead of a stick?

I'm not helping, am I?

I think a shallower snare would have the potential to be quieter also, i don't think you can get snare drums shallower than 2" though.

Last edited:
Like others have mentioned, I'd look for something in a soft wood with rounded edges, so the attack is toned down. Also, tuning the snare a bit lower will help the snare blend w/ the band, rather than cutting through, like higher tensions will do. Lay off the rimshots too, maybe? It IS harder to play with subtlety, just something to work on.

Everyone here has been offering the best advice available but I would like to add one tiny thing that could help, try thinner/lighter sticks (only if not using multirods/brushes). When I play softer jazz gigs I use Vater 52nd Street sticks....they are a bit thinner, longer, and lighter so it helps when used with good technique.

Hope this helps a bit!

Just so everybody knows, all snare drums are quiet... they don't get loud until you hit them... Ba, dump dump!

Try the "Sabian Quiet Tone Snare Drum Practice Pad" Goes on top of a snare and reduces the sound by up to 90%.

I have owned one of these for 30 years ago which were then manufactured by someone different. I never use mine since I don't have the need but they are good.

I have a Mapex Saturn 14x6.5 drum, with a Remo Fiberskyn Ambassador on top, a clear hazy 300 reso and a strip of masking tape (paper tape) under the wires at each end, just to dull the brightness of the wires. This is pretty quiet.

I imagine something inside the drum to break up the moving air may reduce the volume. How about suspending a large solid object inside, using string and tying it to the interior lug screws? You could significantly reduce the volume of air in the drum without having to use a smaller drum. I'm thinking something like a 12x3 cylinder of solid plastic inside a 14x5 drum.

Just had an idea... stretch a circle of spandex across each head, so it's attached at the hoops and not actually touching the heads. Maybe that would dull the sound from each head slightly without affecting the feel? Or not, haha.

No matter how hard I tried to prevent this type of comment, I failed.

You just can't run from the truth, it'll catch up with you sooner or later.

My advice is to find the loudest, most obnoxious snare you can, and practice for a while without hearing protection. That should calm you right down. ;)

But seriously folks, practice on a pad making sure to keep ghost notes to 1-2 inches and accents a maximum of 6 inches off the surface.

Back