DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 PM

Default How to Make Any Odd Meter Feel Like 4/4

In this lesson video, I demonstrate some crafty ways to disguise odd meters to allow your average listener to easily follow along.

If you can provide a solid quarter note and some kind of backbeat, listeners won't even realize they're grooving along to odd meters.

Transcriptions are available on my Patreon page ($5/month).

Feedback welcomed! Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How to Make Any Odd Meter Feel Like 4/4

I think Vinnie Colaiuta demonstrates this well on Stings’ song, “Love is stronger than justice”. But then again, it’s Vinnie ;)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerpig View Post
In this lesson video, I demonstrate some crafty ways to disguise odd meters to allow your average listener to easily follow along.

If you can provide a solid quarter note and some kind of backbeat, listeners won't even realize they're grooving along to odd meters.

Transcriptions are available on my Patreon page ($5/month).

Feedback welcomed! Enjoy!
Those are pretty cool. Any idea where the 11 grouping might arise. It sounds out there like doo-ee-ewe space.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I think Vinnie Colaiuta demonstrates this well on Stings’ song, “Love is stronger than justice”. But then again, it’s Vinnie ;)
Yeah, Vinnie seems to always know the exact best thing to play for any given musical situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
Those are pretty cool. Any idea where the 11 grouping might arise. It sounds out there like doo-ee-ewe space.
While you probably won't roll up to a gig and have a bandleader be like, "okay, superimpose a pattern of 11 16ths under a quarter note, but make it groove," it's more or less an exercise in phrasing kick and snare patterns underneath a right hand ostinato.

It's also a good creative tool for approaching odd meter grooves a little differently. I play in two progressive rock/fusion-type bands and I find myself using these types of patterns constantly to mask some of the odd meters we use. Here's an example where I'm playing a pattern of 19/16 on the kick under a straight backbeat. The kick matches with the bass and the rhythm guitar and the whole thing feels like it's in 4, but it's not.

So in short, no, something like the 11 grouping might not find you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't create a purpose for such a pattern.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:01 PM

I love this. I had long suspected that odd meters lurk hidden in seemingly 4/4's.
I want to use this consciously. My goal is a little different though. I play straightforward rock and I would like to incorporate these in 4/4 songs as groove feels. I'm pretty sure that some kick shuffles I use are using 2×5's or something but just by feel.
What is a Super Easy one to start out with and how do I go about it?
Thanks for your video! that might be enough maybe.