DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-31-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Why have I suddenly forgotten a kick drum technique?

Ok, so a couple of days ago my right foot sort of stopped working properly. Basically, something I was able to play perfectly every time, which had become second nature, suddenly became super difficult. Since then I've practised and practised, but I feel no progression at all? Is it because of a bad habit I've subconsciously formed while overplaying? Is it a stretching/warming up issue? It definitely can't be from lack of practise, since I had practised and played it all the time. I have absolutely no idea how to fix it, either. It's not even that complicated or difficult, but now i feel like I'm starting again for some reason? What's going on?

Last edited by Jamm.t; 12-31-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Why have I suddenly forgotten a kick drum technique?

I'd have to guess it's some sort of stress reaction. Step away from what you're trying to play. Simplify it, slow it down. It will come back.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:30 PM

I might suggest a mental block, sitting different, using a different pedal etc. I had the same thing last night coming out of Le Grange's triplet drum break LRF where at the end it's LRFF. It just wasn't smooth where in the past it's been second nature. I actually changed it to FLR so as to end on the kick and be smooth. Something I'll have to practice to get smooth again. Instead of focusing on it and analyzing every detail take a devil may care attitude and relax. Mental blocks are real. You'll get it back though.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Very simple. Slow the tempo of your metronome until you CAN do whatever is eluding you. Work at that speed. Once mastered slow, then speed it up a bit.

You'll be back in shape in no time.

"A Funky Primer for the rock drummer" is a great book that has a very nice breakdown of bass drum placements to work through. It's a very cheap book!
Old 12-31-2018, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

It's just a few of the neurons in your brain firing off at the wrong time - or something like that. Over fifty years of playing drums, I've had this happen several times. Suddenly I just can't play a pattern that I've played thousands of times before. If I don't worry about it, it will come back quickly. But, if I obsess about it, the problem will grow worse until I finally realize that I've been giving the problem too much attention and worry.

So, don't sweat it. It'll come back to you naturally. Just relax.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 12-31-2018, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

Maybe you are overthinking it? I find the brain gets in the way of the muscle memory sometimes.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Just curious, have you raised or lowered your throne at all? I went nuts for months trying to figure out why i was having issues doing fast doubles and triples and remembered i had resetup my stuff, adjusted the height and i was fixed (too high my hip hurts.. too low and i can't hit them right.. )
Old 01-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
So, don't sweat it. It'll come back to you naturally. Just relax.

GeeDeeEmm
+1.

It's probably just fatigue or exhaustion. Being dehydrated can affect muscles in strange ways, too. Your foot/leg muscles may be in the middle of some growth, too. Keep practicing, but, as always, relax as much as you can. Apply force or tension with only the most necessary muscles.

We tend to think of learning as a strictly linear process: we learn something, and then it can never be unlearned. But coordination isn't like that. There are mostly long hills, with a few small valleys along the way. But the overall direction is up, if you keep at it.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Default Why have I suddenly forgotten a kick drum technique

This can either be as a member or spectator. Whats the total number of times youve been to the Championship? Ive been there 4 times 98-01.