DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-26-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Double Bass Work

What are the best exercises to help with double bass drum work? Just practising?? or what can you do in the gym?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Double bass drum work

No doubt by now you would have seen a few tutorials. My 5c worth, practice as slow as you can.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

There is no substitute for playing it's self. There are exercises out there to help your kick drum playing. I only know of a few that I've seen in Dom Famularo's book, Pedal Control. I've only toyed with the excises a little, so I can't say how much they help. Dom is a great teacher, that is well known. So if you've not heard of him, check him out. He's the real thing.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:45 AM
Senior Consultant

Gym work is great and will definitely help especially with stamina but you must develop the ability to shift between legs and ankle motion. Don't fall into the trap of muscling it all out.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Numerous things you can do, but keep in mind there is no magic bullet.

Rudiments with your feet while playing straight time with your hands. This will expand your foot independence. The ability to start and stop on either foot is just as important as with the hands.

Mimic your hands with your feet seamlessly. If your hands can do it, so can your feet. You should, at some point, be able to swap singles of any count between hands and feet without a rest in between.

Practice with a click and write it down. If you can play solid doubles at 100bpm for 2 minutes and then it gets sloppy, you need to know this. The click will help show where you rush or drag, the time will give you endurance goals. It also helps to show improvement when you write it down.

As for the gym, I dunno. I've always done stretches, calf raises, and wall sits (human chair). Calf raises work the calf and shin muscles, wall sits work the thighs and core muscles. Calf raises may help the ankle with strength and flexibility also, but I can't say for sure.

Whatever you do, do not use ankle weights. If you lift your foot and have ankle weights on, gravity pulls the weight down as you are lifting up. This causes undue stress on the joint and tendons and can damage your ankles. I learned this the hard way.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:07 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
There is no substitute for playing it's self. There are exercises out there to help your kick drum playing. I only know of a few that I've seen in Dom Famularo's book, Pedal Control. I've only toyed with the excises a little, so I can't say how much they help. Dom is a great teacher, that is well known. So if you've not heard of him, check him out. He's the real thing.
Dom also has a book called "The Weaker Side" which helps strengthen your off hand. He recommends the excersizes for the feet as well.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Dom also has a book called "The Weaker Side" which helps strengthen your off hand. He recommends the excersizes for the feet as well.
Yes that's true also I don't know if I stressed the exercises I was talking about in the pedal control book are physical exercises not done with drums but in standing and sitting positions with no drums or pedals
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Double Bass Work

squats and calf raises are always good things to do and are free :) . I find for double bass, depending on WHAT you are playing makes a difference.

Start off learning 16th notes on the feet, start with both feet leading.. On the hands, make sure you can play 16th note singles, doubles, paradiddles syncing up with the feet. move the accents in a grid pattern over the notes. try moving that around. This will build up independence and work at getting it TIGHT... On my feet I do a lot of 16th notes, and triplets. Once you get those down you can start working on broken patterns. Basicaly practice the same things you would on on your hands on your feet.

It's not rocket science though. It just takes a long time and lots of practice. Treat you feet like your hands and you will be golden.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tama View Post
No doubt by now you would have seen a few tutorials. My 5c worth, practice as slow as you can.
This will help you play really slow really well.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Double Bass Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyTubThumper View Post
what can you do in the gym?
For your feet, the skipping rope.

For your hands, the speed bag.

So, maybe boxing in general?

Ever seen The Hangover where Mike Tyson is "air-boxing" to the fill in In the Air Tonight? His timing is bang on.