DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 11-22-2018, 01:07 AM

Default New drummer needs help!

Hi all.. I'm a guitar player who was recently given a drum kit by a neighborhood and now I'm the drummer in a little jam band. First song we are doing is Learning to Fly by Petty (next two songs are Back in Black and Jealous Again).

I've got the basic beat to Learning... down .. but am struggling with that fill break towards the end. Anything I play on my own sounds like I don't know what I'm doing (which I don't!). Question.. is there a site with drum tabs similar to the guitar tab sites.. haven't been able to find one. Any other suggestions how to go about this?

Thanks..
Old 11-22-2018, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New drummer needs help!

I'll say it before anybody else does:

Learn to read music.

Reading music for drums is really easy...take it from another guitar player turned drummer (who couldn't read music before taking up drumming).

This may help you get started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNBUSMbETMc

Once you've learnt to read music, work on your transcription skills.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

Learn to read music.

Reading music for drums is really easy...take it from another guitar player turned drummer (who couldn't read music before taking up drumming).

Actually, I can read music.. I was classically taught piano as a kid.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:47 AM

ah.. I got it.. downloaded the score.. just what I need, thanks..
Old 11-22-2018, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

JustJames gave you the best, most prudent guidance.
A young Leonardo DiCaprio doppelgänger here does a solid job at 2:52 on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh72k9-h-gc
Old 11-22-2018, 10:49 AM

you can find some tabs here https://Songsterr.com/a/wa/search
Just choose drums on the right panel.

Not really notes, but easy to understand if you know notation.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Try to find some covers online or performances, watch them in slow-mo and try to understand and learn what the drummer is doing. Try to replicate it slow. (if you know how to write drums, is really easy) write it down.

That's probably the easiest way you could learn fills, without getting too theoretical about it.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I do a lot of work on life coaching , life hacking, body hacking, mind hacking etc. And I can honestly say. what a load of crap.

Do what feels natural to you, this is the quickest way to learn anything yea.

An 1-year-old child doesn't just jump up one day and say. "DUH I need to read this manual so I can learn how to walk don't I."
NO, they just do it, and they do it, and they do it and do it and do it until they know how to do it.
Stop listening to the hype and bullshit. The only way to properly master something, anything, is to just do it.
The more effort and time you dedicate to learning something, the quicker you will learn it. At any age. Sorry But all you good folks are wrong......

Yes you can learn notation, yes you can learn different techniques, yes you can learn just about any aspect of any skill you want. But You aren't going to get anywhere unless you practice what you learn.

Peace.
Hahahahaha. Funny joke. Now please explain to us good but all wrong folks why ASKING FOR HELP is such a terrible idea. If you don't know how to do something, asking someone who does makes the learning process faster than figuring it out yourself.

If your car breaks down are you just gonna tear it apart yourself or ask a mechanic? Do you do your own electrical work or hire an electrician?

For someone who is into hacking (making things easier/more useful), one would think you would support getting help and information as opposed to just figuring it out yourself.

With drums, doing what feels natural isn't always correct and can lead to bodily injury.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I do a lot of work on life coaching , life hacking, body hacking, mind hacking etc. And I can honestly say. what a load of crap.

An 1-year-old child doesn't just jump up one day and say. "DUH I need to read this manual so I can learn how to walk don't I."
NO, they just do it, and they do it, and they do it and do it and do it until they know how to do it.
Stop listening to the hype and bullshit. The only way to properly master something, anything, is to just do it.
The more effort and time you dedicate to learning something, the quicker you will learn it. At any age. Sorry But all you good folks are wrong......

Yes you can learn notation, yes you can learn different techniques, yes you can learn just about any aspect of any skill you want. But You aren't going to get anywhere unless you practice what you learn.

Peace.
For someone that is telling someone to just do what is natural, seems like you came on here asking a bunch of questions and advice about what you should do. That's one reason all of us are here, to ask questions, share stories, and give advice.

Also, 1 year olds don't just go from sitting to walking without external influencers. They see people walking and in a lot of cases there is a lot of instruction going on in addition. Plus there is a lot of cognitive and physical development in their bodies to allow them to begin walking.

Similar things happen with drumming, there is a lot of cognitive and physical development that happens with drumming. Also, like learning to walk properly and correctly, there is learning to play properly without injury. What is natural isn't always beneficial, as a life coach/life hack/body hack/whatever then you should probably know that since the whole part of your job is to retrain people to do something other than what they are doing now.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:23 PM

About that fill....I think 3 measures, cymbal crash followed by 4 single strokes, 8 8th notes mixed, and maybe 6 strokes last measure...
Try that. Keep it simple and start on the snare and follow on toms.

Last edited by mrfingers; 01-01-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Added comments
Old 01-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Peace.
Strange, in one of your other previous posts you state:
"I tried learning guitar for the past 30 years and got absolutely nowhere."
Perhaps with 'the just do it' philosophy one can see why.
People learn all kinds of different ways and somebody asking for help is welcome to take or leave any kind of advice here. Nobody suggested 'not practicing'.

Last edited by opentune; 01-01-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecharlie View Post
Try to find some covers online or performances, watch them in slow-mo and try to understand and learn what the drummer is doing. Try to replicate it slow. (if you know how to write drums, is really easy) write it down.

That's probably the easiest way you could learn fills, without getting too theoretical about it.
Don't look up covers of the song. Look up live versions of Petty and the Heartbreakers playing. I didn't learn Tool by watching Meytal Cohen play covers of their songs. I watched Danny Carey live. P.S. i play by ear. If Learning to Fly is giving you trouble the Black Crowes are going to really give you fits.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:37 AM
Administrator - Mayor

at the bottom of the Youtube video, there is a gear icon, settings. One setting is speed. Click on speed and you get this chart below. Slow down the video and copy the fill untill you feel good about it.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 09:00 PM

To the OP's question: Ultimate Guitar Tabs has drum transcriptions for a number of popular songs and lets you mute other parts so you can hear only drums, drums and lead guitar, etc.

The drum transcriptions can be a bit challenging to read because they use MIDI numbers rather than standard percussion notation. Nonetheless, it's been a useful tool for me (as a beginning drummer, trying to get a feel for what drummers do in different styles of music).
Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

Learn to read music.

Sorry to highjack the tread. So if I understand you right, JustJames, being able to read sheet music for piano and guitar is different from being able to read drum sheet music. And there for I should learn to read drum sheet music
Old 01-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicom View Post
..being able to read sheet music for piano and guitar is different from being able to read drum sheet music. And there for I should learn to read drum sheet music..

The notation is a little different yes, but if you are allready able to read music for guitar or piano learning to read music for drums will be pretty simple..
Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicom View Post
...being able to read sheet music for piano and guitar is different from being able to read drum sheet music. And there for I should learn to read drum sheet music
The difference is that the basic musical staff caters for a single octave, and guitar and piano cover multiple octaves, which means that it is necessary to add lines above and below the staff (when required).

Drum sheet music assigns a position on the staff to each drum, and (as far as I have seen) always uses the basic staff, which makes it visually much easier to read.

Tab notation makes sense for guitar, but for drums, it simply does not. For drums, limiting yourself to tab is equivalent to limiting yourself to a 3 year old's vocabulary. Sure you can get by, but why would you?