DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Default Question about push-pull technique

How do you go about the push-pull technique when you play either straight 16:ths or shuffled; do you push on the "one" or pull or the "one"? I tend to push on the one in both cases but I'm not sure if that's the best way, as my shuffles is limited to round about 130-140 bpm before I tense up and loose the groove.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question about push-pull technique

I recommend mastering both. I always push/drop on the downbeat, though. Practice it really slowly, like one note per second, for 5-10 minutes a day. French grip and German. That’s the fastest way to clean up the technique and be able to play fast without tensing up.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

I play down on the beat the most, but it depends on what type of accents I'm likely to do in the situation and I might even switch it back and forth.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:43 AM
Gold Member

On push on the 2 and 4 on a shuffle. All other beats are pulls.

Last edited by MrPockets; 12-16-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think I understand the question. The point of the technique is to alternate. Of course it's possible to accent wherever you like, but as I understand this technique, it's push, then pull... Not too many options.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I don't think I understand the question. The point of the technique is to alternate. Of course it's possible to accent wherever you like, but as I understand this technique, it's push, then pull... Not too many options.
Well you can do any combination.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Well you can do any combination.
Right, but very quickly it stops being "push/pull" as it's described then... I think you guys are just talking about accent patterns in a more general sense. When I think of push/pull as a technique, it's most useful when you're doing strings of notes as you can better utilize the "rocking" motion of the technique. In order to accent the opposite note, you're effectively breaking the push/pull string, thus ending it's helpfulness in keeping you relaxed through the string. Totally valid thing to do, happens all the time, I'm just clarifying my confusion about the question I guess.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Well, my first language is not english so sometimes I may not be easy to understand. What I'm curious about is if the best way when playing a shuffle is to pull (or close fingers) on the accented notes (2 & 4) or push.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Well, my first language is not english so sometimes I may not be easy to understand. What I'm curious about is if the best way when playing a shuffle is to pull (or close fingers) on the accented notes (2 & 4) or push.
No worries! For the purposes of an accented note, you'll usually want more stick height to generate the louder sound... This means that in most cases, you want to "push" I guess for the accent notes. The "pull" note in this technique requires the momentum from the first push note to work right.

But again, push/pull is a technique for strings of notes, and it works well, but you don't have any particular reason to try and keep that push/pull pattern going if you need to make odd or off beat accents. Just bring the stick up hit your accent and then go back to push pull for the efficiency of it.

I suppose if your accents fall on the down (push) note it's easy enough to keep the flow and just bring the stick up higher for that accent note.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

I consider open/close to be the same as push/pull.

I believe it is ergonomically benificial to do accents on the push and pulling all non accented notes.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

We might be thinking similar thoughts, but it's hard for me to tell... What I'm trying to get across here is that push/pull or rocking motion technique is typically used for strings of notes that are usually pretty smooth. In order to put in a bigger accent you need to break the flow of the technique we're talking about here.

I just think it's better to think of accents as their own thing and play accents as something separate then go back to stringing together the push pull run. Thinking of all non accented notes as "pulls" is misleading to my mind.

In practice, push/pull technique does actually sound sort of accented anyway. Each down stroke is typically louder than the "bonus" upstroke note just due to the physicality of the motions. It's perfectly acceptable if not actually desired.

If I'm doing just non accented strings, I tend to keep that to just down-strokes and don't mess with trying to get the bonus note, instead focusing on the dynamic consistency.