DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Learning heel up

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, have only been drumming for about 2.5 years on an electric Alesis kit. I took lessons for about 2 years and learned some good stuff in that time.

Playing heel down has come very naturally to me, and I never bothered to learn heel up, as my bass drum technique was the least of my worries. I'm finding it harder to incorporate quick double bass hits (with a single pedal) while playing heel down. Is there an advantage to playing heel up for this? Pretty much all of the videos I watch are of heel up players, but obviously an electric kit does not have the same dynamic principles of an acoustic set.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Learning heel up

Most people get more power when playing heel up.

Heel up can also be many different things. I suggest starting with using the whole leg and putting the heel down on rests. When you got that down there are several different things to try out.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackinattackin View Post
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, have only been drumming for about 2.5 years on an electric Alesis kit. I took lessons for about 2 years and learned some good stuff in that time.

Playing heel down has come very naturally to me, and I never bothered to learn heel up, as my bass drum technique was the least of my worries. I'm finding it harder to incorporate quick double bass hits (with a single pedal) while playing heel down. Is there an advantage to playing heel up for this? Pretty much all of the videos I watch are of heel up players, but obviously an electric kit does not have the same dynamic principles of an acoustic set.

Cheers!
Same here. Articulate double hits are exceedingly difficult for me using heel down technique.

I'm learning the Doobie's "Listen to the Music" for one of my bands and getting the kick drum right has been a problem for me for the very reason you describe.

I recently raised my seat height to 24" and started playing with my foot further down the pedal and to my great delight, the doubles became MUCH easier. I'll have to keep practicing to cement the technique but I think I'm onto something.

Try raising your seat height to see if it makes heel-up more comfortable for you.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

These Drummerworld Colin Bailey videos are great for heel down bass.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/c...rcises1-4.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/c...cises9-11.html

I hear some argue you can't play as fast and loud heel down as heel up but I don't agree that's true for everyone. Colin makes it look so easy and he's so relaxed. His spring on that pedal is just as relaxed. I've always played heel up so I'm pretty new to heel down. I worked on some of these exercises as it seemed a good start for heel down. I like heel down cause it takes less energy-and I'm getting lazy. I like to play songs on kick to warm up so I do Lone Ranger-William Tell overture with lots of triplets-which admittedly I still move to heel up to do it dammit.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

I agree about Colin Bailey..

His DVD 'Bass Drum Technique' and book 'Bass Drum Control' are highly recommended in this case..
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

I can't get the same power playing heel down for things like metal where I need to play very loud. When playing jazz I play heel down for control, and to keep that beater bouncing back nice and fast.

At the end of the day, I see people of all styles play both ways so do what feels right.

Heel up doesn't mean play on your tip toes.. just keep it like a CM or inch of above the pedal. I see far to many people looking like they could be in a pair of high heel shoes. Having it flatter allows you to use your ankle AND leg instead of just your ankle getting more speed and power.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
I can't get the same power playing heel down for things like metal where I need to play very loud. When playing jazz I play heel down for control, and to keep that beater bouncing back nice and fast.

At the end of the day, I see people of all styles play both ways so do what feels right.

Heel up doesn't mean play on your tip toes.. just keep it like a CM or inch of above the pedal. I see far to many people looking like they could be in a pair of high heel shoes. Having it flatter allows you to use your ankle AND leg instead of just your ankle getting more speed and power.
Same here. A lot of times I'll play the first note heel down and then heel up on the second two note shuffle but just an inch or so up on the heel. Try practicing all heel up and later working it in your normal heel down when heel up is needed. It doesn't have to be all heel up or down.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:41 PM

Heep up was stressed to me when I was starting out. This reminds me. I'm going to reach out to my teacher and thank him for this advice.