In-ear monitor help

Jeffrey99

I'm wanting to start using in-ear monitors. I have a set of Shure 215's that I use for solo practice. So far I'm the only in the band thy really wants to use them. I currently have this Harbinger PA and mixer which we don't use when gigging.

My question: can I come out of the mixer we do use into my unused mixer, then run my in-ears out via aux or the speaker out in the back? Will that protect my hearing? Or do I need something special made for headphones that have a limiter? Or can I buy a in-line limiter to plug in between mixer and in-ears?

Or would I be best of buying a actual headphone mixer? I'm a complete newb to all this sound stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey

You can in theory run a line straight from the desk to your little mixer, but I would definitely throw a limiter in there somewhere. If a microphone or guitar starts feeding back and you have nothing limiting the volume in your monitors, you can seriously mess up your hearing.

Most in-ear (both wired and wireless versions) have limiters built in, but you can also get them separately and throw it into your setup.

Since you already have a set of Shure ear buds I recommend getting a P4HW body pack, it has 2 lines in and you can adjust the mix between those 2, plus your own volume, it has its own limiter and eq settings and can run off battery or phantom power, it comes with adapters for xlr, 1/4 and trs so no matter where you play or what system you need to tie into you will have no problems. With everything right on the body pack you can make adjustments on the fly mid song if you need to without having to go to the board or wait for the sound guy to do it for you. I have been using one for over 10 years now with no problems and if anything was to happen to it I would buy another one in a heartbeat no question.

In theory you could do that and it would work, BUT you would have no way of having a limiter between the mix and your ears. If there was a spike in the mix it could come straight to you and damage your hearing. I would recommend getting a Shure P4HW which has a built in limiter, and you can still plug it directly into the mixer to get the mix from the rest of the band. It's the simplest and most efficient way to do what your looking to do. I'm actually selling one literally brand new if you'd be interested for a discounted price too!

Know it's been over a month since I posted this thread. Figured I'd update anybody interested. Ended up going with the Audio Galaxy AS-900. While I would have loved the Shure P4HW it was just abit out of my price range, especially with the rest of the band also interested in in-ears. The Audio Galaxy give us the option to add up to 3 more wireless monitors for a decent price. I have no doubt the P4HW is a better product but the AS-900 so far has worked well.

Know it's been over a month since I posted this thread. Figured I'd update anybody interested. Ended up going with the Audio Galaxy AS-900. While I would have loved the Shure P4HW it was just abit out of my price range, especially with the rest of the band also interested in in-ears. The Audio Galaxy give us the option to add up to 3 more wireless monitors for a decent price. I have no doubt the P4HW is a better product but the AS-900 so far has worked well.

Glad its working for you, the only down side i see is that you have no control of the mix on the body pack and once you add the extra transmitters everyone will have to listen to the exact same mix.

Back