BJ Wilson

Stinky Pete

I can't help but notice that Barrie "BJ" Wilson still has no bio page on the site. What can be the explanation for this oversight?

Yea i just came on here to look for him,and this is all i see. IMHO The guy was the master of 3/4 I mean Procol Harums Grand Hotel he is stellar I know he passed away but dont know how or when.........RIP......

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this guy play on Joe Cockers version of With a Little Help from My Friends I love the drumming on Joe Cockers version I always air drum to that when I hear it on the radio at work

Speaking of BJ "Barrie" Wilson,
Does anyone know what kit cymbals heads&sticks he used with Joe Cocker?,
Did ANY drum magazine cover/interview him?.

I'm currently working on a transcription of the drum part in 'Time Warp' from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I'm blown away by the subtlety of the drumming.

So I did some digging, and discovered that the drummer on the rocky Horror Picture Show was by a guy called BJ Wilson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._J._Wilson

I'd never heard of him, but he'd been the drummer for Procul Harum (best known for Whiter Shade of Pale, although he didn't drum on that track).

The other eye opener from the wiki page is that he'd been approached by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant to be the original drummer for Led Zeppelin.

If that's the kind of company he was keeping I don't feel bad about being bamboozled by his drumming.

He was a great drummer on PH albums, I think Gary Brooker called him the "octopus in a bathtub" because he was sitting so low behind his kit. There is some YT videos about, they're worth seeing!

I just checked out the "Power Failure" YouTube vidoe.
A very fine drummer, but OMG, his seating position looks extremeley uncomfortable!

He must have learned on a set with a broken stool. I would be afraid to hit myself in the face.

Awesome drummer, highly underrated. Yes every vid of him has him sitting way low, I don't know how his lower back did it.

Back