Gretsch options - Gretsch experts - little help?

Toolate

Platinum Member
Another which kit thread but just Gretsch.

Look at a kit like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Cat...969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4852773f21 ) which is so nice and offers all the toms you could want in a finish I love.

Then, marketing and advertising and the stuff you read here takes over and you see a kit like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Bro...912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d019029e0) and think you need it.

I am a firm believer, even though I have only been playing for 3 years or so, that maybe 75% of the sound of a kit is tuning and heads not the shells. I think both of these have the same bearing edge details (30 degree gretsch) so it just comes down to the wood and hardware.

Is there a big difference between the shells and hardware? Help me understand. Do I need to spend another couple grand to feel satisfied? I dont think so but dont know enough to be sure since I have never played the Brooklyn (I own and love my catalina rock and catalina maple kits).

As a side note, I would love a kick ass sounding 20" kick with at leat 2 up and 2 down from Gretsch- is there such a thing in a stock formation without custom orders?

Re: Gretsch options- gretsche experts- little help?

What kit are you playing now?
How much money do you have for a kit?
Don't spend more than you can afford.
The Brooklyn kit will sound better than the Cat Club
A Cat Club kit with a pro level snare and pro cymbals will work fine if your budget is limited.
A Renown kit is also a good choice that is priced in the middle of those kits.

Last edited:

I have the Catalina Maple you refer to (minus the 14" floor tom) and I like it very much. The tom suspension is a little different than that on the Brooklyn but I personally can't tell the difference.

I've seen the 6 piece - w/the free 8" tom for cheaper, too. Do some shopping around; you'll save yourself some $$.

Unless you're doing some serious gigging and/or recording, you really don't need a high end kit. The Renown or Catalina series should be more than sufficient.

However, if money weren't an issue, I'd have a Brooklyn or USA Custom sitting in front of me... unfortunately, money is always an issue.

BTW, good heads and good tuning do wonders!! A skill I've yet to master and one I'm sure I'll be perfecting for years to come.

Enjoy your drum shopping!!

... Do I need to spend another couple grand to feel satisfied? ...

Only you can answer that.

... I would love a kick ass sounding 20" kick with at leat 2 up and 2 down from Gretsch- is there such a thing in a stock formation without custom orders? ...

You can browse through the Gretsch site for specific configurations of their lines. I'm not too up on Gretsch, but I'm sure you can order a configuration other than standard, from some of their lines.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/

(btw - I'm definitely not a Gretsch expert - ha ha)

Last edited:

Current kits (from Gretsch) are Catalina rock in 13,16, 18, 26 and a catalina maple kit about 6 years old 10, 12, 14, 16, 22. The smaller kit really just sounds amazing to me.

Budget wouldnt really be the issue and I dont even play out plus I love the smaller catalina kit but would really like a smaller kick. I just havent played any of the higher end kits and I tend to think that the added cost to step up from the Catalina's is SO much compared to the sound improvements and hardware improvements. I thought about buying another 20" kick but think I want another entire kit in different finish.

Is there a noticeable difference in either the sound or the hardware?

Is there a big difference between the shells and hardware?
Yes. A side by side comparison, of a Brooklyn kit and a Catalina kit, will make clear the differences.​
Do I need to spend another couple grand to feel satisfied?
That's a question only you yourself can answer.​
I have never played the Brooklyn
And you probably should do so, before you spend $3.5K on a drum set.​

As a side note, I would love a kick ass sounding 20" kick with at leat 2 up and 2 down from Gretsch- is there such a thing in a stock formation without custom orders?
Check the Gretsch website, to see if they offer that configuration.​

You should try a Renown kit, it's Gretsch's mid-range kit and you should be happy with it for a long time. Plus you already have good heads on these. The stock heads on my catalina club were really bad. Also look out for the current Purewood series!

So Harry, what are the main differences in terms of sound? If you dont feel like describing the sound I am cool with that but I have to ask. Going to look into the hardware etc on the site.

The RIMs mounts etc all look the same on the site. Any insight into the differences if there are any?

Such a pain in the ass to not be able to play these kits.

As far as hardware goes, the Brooklyns have true RIMS mounts while the Catalinas have this rubber foot that keeps the drum supported. Take a look at the pictures and you'll see that the Cats are only supported at 2 lugs. The rubber foot sits against the shell of the drum and deadens the sound IMO. I modified my Cat hang tom, (removed the foot and made a bracket) and now it sings, but it didn't before.

Cats are good drums for a good price, Brooklyns are great drums at a high price, (I played some Brooklyns the other day and ...wow).

Toolate - I believe you're right on the money there with your assessment of most of the drum sound comes from tuning and the heads......I'd add edges to that and regarding tuning, hoops of course.

For the money - I don't think you can get a better drum kit than the Cats. They have some killer finishes too.

I recently bought some of the Series 302 Hoops (the ones on the Brooklyn Gretsch) and put them on my mid-50's Gretsch kit and I'm very happy with them. They're like the old StickChopper hoops but beefier.

As has been said here....sit behind the Cats....then move onto the Brooklyn Series....you will definately feel and hear the difference. The Brooklyn drums are made in the USA Factory in Ridgeland - where the Custom USA drums are made.

I'm a huge fan of the Renown drums - I own a Purewood African Mahogany kit and I'd put it up against my 2011 Custom kit any day.....they are spectacular drums.

If you're thinking of spending around $1000 on a Catalina kit you would be happy with them I think, but....for an extra $500 or so you could be into a Renown kit. Although, you do get hardware with the Cats and you'd be buying cymbal stands etc. extra when you buy a Renown shellpack.....unless you find one for sale complete with hardware. Something to think about.

Not to tease or tempt you further than you already are.....but here's Keith Carlock on the Brooklyn drums if you have not already seen it.
http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=714#videos

So Harry, what are the main differences in terms of sound?
The Catalina Maple shell is a modern shell. 7 ply. And comes with triple flange hoops.​
The Brooklyn, a 6 ply maple/poplar shell. With die cast hoops. Much more of a re-creation of the 60's era Gretsch Round Badge sound (shell made by Jasper .... 6 ply maple/gum).​
So, with the Cats, you get a modern mid-level generic drum sound. With the Brooklyn's, a much more vintage tone. Some might say, what a Gretsch kit is supposed to sound like.​

Catalina's are the first step in the Gretsch upgrade path ending with a new set of USA Customs, and perhaps a second vintage Round Badge kit. I bought a USA Custom kit to avoid the cost and hassle of upgrading. luckily I love the sound and looks of my kit (see the link below to my drum room).

GJS

I have a six piece Catalina. The snares and the rest are top of the line. I do want a US custom kit in the long run, but this is what I could afford if I wanted all those drums and the majority of gigs I play at this point, though musical instruments are suposed to be used, are in places where my heart rests a little easier with a $500 as supposed to a $5000 which n my coutry's prices is more like $1000

I have a six piece Catalina. The snares and the rest is top of the line. I do want a US custom kit in the long run, but this is what I could afford if I wanted all those drums and the majority of gigs I play at this point, though musical instruments are supposed to be used, are in places where my heart rests a little easier with a $500 as supposed to a $5000 kit, which n my country's prices is more like $1000 and $7000.

Offcourse they are different, but they sound pretty good. The bass drum IMO is pretty close to just what I want. The whole kit is also really light.

An interesting thing would be to see how things sounded with die cast hoops.

Your Cats are beautiful drums - like I said before, IMHO, you can't get more drum for the money.
If you ever want to check out die-cast hoops look at the 302 Series that are on the Brooklyn Gretsch drums.

I have single flanged, double flanged, tripple flanged, die-cast and stickchopper and stickchopper die-cast (the 302 Series) all on different drums of course. The 302's are amazing and seem to bring out that open-warm sound that we (Gretsch players) like.

I have a six piece Catalina. The snares and the rest is top of the line. I do want a US custom kit in the long run, but this is what I could afford if I wanted all those drums and the majority of gigs I play at this point, though musical instruments are supposed to be used, are in places where my heart rests a little easier with a $500 as supposed to a $5000 kit, which n my country's prices is more like $1000 and $7000.

Offcourse they are different, but they sound pretty good. The bass drum IMO is pretty close to just what I want. The whole kit is also really light.

An interesting thing would be to see how things sounded with die cast hoops.

The Catalina Maple shell is a modern shell. 7 ply. And comes with triple flange hoops.​
The Brooklyn, a 6 ply maple/poplar shell. With die cast hoops. Much more of a re-creation of the 60's era Gretsch Round Badge sound (shell made by Jasper .... 6 ply maple/gum).​
So, with the Cats, you get a modern mid-level generic drum sound. With the Brooklyn's, a much more vintage tone. Some might say, what a Gretsch kit is supposed to sound like.​

See this is what I didnt know. Thank you for taking the time.

Catalina's are the first step in the Gretsch upgrade path ending with a new set of USA Customs, and perhaps a second vintage Round Badge kit. I bought a USA Custom kit to avoid the cost and hassle of upgrading. luckily I love the sound and looks of my kit (see the link below to my drum room).

GJS

How do you play your hats so far off to the side like that? I cant imagine playing a 2 handed 16th note groove like that. Gorgeous kit btw and great room.

As far as hardware goes, the Brooklyns have true RIMS mounts while the Catalinas have this rubber foot that keeps the drum supported. Take a look at the pictures and you'll see that the Cats are only supported at 2 lugs. The rubber foot sits against the shell of the drum and deadens the sound IMO. I modified my Cat hang tom, (removed the foot and made a bracket) and now it sings, but it didn't before.

Cats are good drums for a good price, Brooklyns are great drums at a high price, (I played some Brooklyns the other day and ...wow).

ANother piece of valuable info. I looked and looked all over the website and couldnt figure that out on my own.

If I made a drum makers website I would def write a few paragraphs on the differences and evolution of the kits and what separates them. It seems like most sites just have links to the different models and its up to you to try to sort out what the actual difference is by clicking back and forth and looking at the pictures.

Back